Yellow and new CM4

Hello, is there any documentation about swapping a CM4 board for a new one in a HA Yellow.
I currently have a 4g 32g board fitted with an SSD attached as the data disk. I would like to swap the board for an 8g 32g.
The only thing I think may be a problem is the SSD. The last time I had to reinstall the OS, I had to remove the SSD and reformat it as the newly installed OS would not use the drive as it thought there was data on it (which there was, but it was HA’s own data!).
Cheers

Hi,

I have the same issue. I changed the CM4 Board but wasn’t able to Boot. I think the Bootorder is wrong in the new CM4. Did you solve the issue @Tankstage ?

Regards,
Thomas

In the end, I took the CM4 out and put it in another I/O board and booted with the “Boot” switch on.
I then used RPiBoot to make the board visible to windows via usb.
Then I used Win32DiskImager to clone the EMMC.
Swapped the new board into the I/O board and wrote the cloned image to it.
Put it into the yellow and it all booted fine, with the SSD working.
Made a full backup and downloaded it before doing this just in-case.

Tank

Hi @Tankstage ,

Thank you for your Reply. I will do the Same. So I Need another Board or can I also use the Yellow to do the cloning? As far as I Underwood the yellow also have a jumper to Access the bootmode via USB.

Best regards
Thomas

Thomas, don’t really know as I had another board and it just seemed easier to use it…

Did the same. Bought a cheap dev board on amazon and with rpiboot and win32diskimager worked fine even for eomeone never did flashing stuff with cm4.

Used this tutorial:

Can you be a bit more specific about which drives you imaged? I just did this process and the new cm4 doesn’t boot.

2 drives show up when i use rpiboot, one that is an uknown type and one that windows can browse. Which is correct?

Thanks.