Yet another Inkbird ISC-007BW

I have a ISC-007BW BBQ Temperature controller. I just reset it all and added to the Tuya app. Its messed up in there but thought - I will just fix in Home Assistant.
It found it etc but in HA it is unsupported. So no win there.
Would really like to leave in the Inkbird app - its wifi enabled and connected. Has anyone tried or used?

Just trying to do the same now, did you have any luck with this?
I can get all the sensors reading, but then i cannot use the inkbird app only smart life and that does not seem to control it correctly. (When i add it back to inkbird its lost from smart life and therefore my integration also)

1 Like

I have stopped looking to get to work. I reverted back to the inkbird app and just use as is. I should have gone thermoworks in the end :frowning:

I’d love to be able to control this thing from HA because I don’t like the controller for long sessions. In the beginning the fan adjusts nice and slow but after a few hours it’s always on / off behavior (like 80% → overshoot than 0% fan speed).

I found this guy doing a bluetooth hack on another inkbird thermometer but I’m not technical enough to create it for this controller. I did have a look at the wifi data if you change settings in the inkbird app, but that seems to always go through remote servers and not directly calling the inkbird controller. So I guess the bluetooth route is still the way to go?

Update: i’ve managed to identify a few commands but do not fully understand them.

When I set it to manual speed 10 percent but have it switched off the decimal values show like this:
00 00 00 00 00 01 10 00 00 00 00 159 52 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

The first 00 means it’s off. The 01 10 means it’s running at 10 percent manual speed. The 159 52 seem to be some kind of checksum but I havent figured out yet how. If i turn it on, only the first 00 changes and the checksum
01 00 00 00 00 01 10 00 00 00 00 155 200 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
changing the speed in the app to 50 results:
01 00 00 00 28 01 50 00 00 00 00 231 204 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
the 28 is from the time running.

Now I could make a list of all the settings from 0 percent to 100 percent but perhaps somebody has a clue on how the check digits are calculated? The time digit is not so important as I can just write back time 00 and it still changes the speed.

update2: figured it out. it’s crc16 modbus in little endian (so the 2 check digits are reversed)
now the temperature messages… Getting them is setting 0100 to handle 0x0031, and they are reported in little endian in Fahrenheit. Cool! so now I got everything I need. Next up: learning to python, learning how to create an HA integration, and finally figuring out what the fan speeds should be based on temperature movement. So we finally get open-lid detection :slight_smile: But I guess that will be the easiest part.
to be continued.

Ok, I’ve managed to read the temperatures, and set the fan speeds etc using python. However I have no idea how to set all this up in a custom component of HA.

Basically it should do these steps:
Connect to the device using the MAC address
Enable the notification service
Create and update the sensors on each notification.

Fase 2 would be controlling the fan speeds from HA sending commands to the device.

Is there anybody who can help me get started?

1 Like

I’m interested in this project. I don’t own the device, but if it works with HA, I would definitely consider buying. Perhaps you can create an app daemon automation or node red flow with PID control. For this you would need temp sensor and be able to set the fan speed.

How frequently does it update the actual temperature? I made sort of diy controller while back, and main issue was slow update of Bluetooth temp, like every 10-20 seconds. For good PID control I think it should be instant.

@Maart84 saw your other post where you got this working with esp-home! Great work. I’ll wait for a good discount for the device, and will try to use your code! Thanks

How did you manage this? I tried through smart life/Tuya but found it patchy at best. I couldn’t get the grill target to set right. Although could turn fan on/off by button and read temps. But in the app can set the target and it all works, which I was unable to replicate. (Their older Bluetooth only devices pair perfectly on the inkbird integration, just not newer WiFi versions)

See Inkbird ISC-007BW BBQ controller via bluetooth - #7 by Maart84

I used ESP home Bluetooth tracker to sniff the Bluetooth MAC address of the inkbird.