Z-wave 500 or 700, to be or not to be, that is the question

My fault, when I asked, “can you post an example of how to do that?”, I thought I quoted the response, " Have you considered utilizing zwave_js.multicast_set_value to toggle all your lights off/on?"

So how would you call the zwave_js_multicast…?

Aeotec Gen5 with firmware 1.02.

Are you aware there were two updates? You should be running the latest, which is 7.17.2.

I’ve had problems with the Z-Stick 7 from the start, I just didn’t know it. Switching to the Gen5+ (or really Gen5 with FW update) was eye opening for me. Connections are much better (almost 30 dBm difference in RSSI). I got sent a replacement stick by Aeotec after raising the issue with them and providing measurements, but it performs only marginally better.

Al has made some measurements with his own controllers, and the Z-Stick 7 was much worse than the others. So while not definitive, to me it looks like there is a design issue with that particular stick (maybe the very compact form factor is detrimental to the integrated antenna?).

yep, 7.17.2

1 Like

I also have a Zooz, is that worth trying?

I’ve no experience with it, but I’d say yes - with the NVM backup functionality it should be relatively quick to check.

Sure thing:

service: zwave_js.multicast_set_value
data:
  command_class: '37'
  property: targetValue
  value: false
target:
  entity_id:
    - switch.coach_lights
    - switch.downstairs_hallway

CommandClass 37 is Binary Switch.
Setting the value to false would toggle the switches off.

Similarly this could be used to have LED notifications on light switches all change at the same time as well.

1 Like

It’s worth a shot but the multithread will very likely result on the same issue but more nodes offline. I’ll test

Did you try out the Zooz?

I have not had the stomach to redo my network again. I have pretty much removed and re-added every device on the network multiple times. It is *mostly working right now, with the exception of 1 or 2 nodes that like to drop off regularly and revive with a ping. I’m trying to catch it in the logs for tech support. Turning on logging makes it happen much less frequently, interestingly.

Understandable, though I’d be interested whether the Zooz works any better to help me determine whether shelling out for yet another 700 series controller is worthwhile.

Multicast really does help with the many-in-a-short-time problem. But there are two caveats: you can’t have any of the devices added with security and they all have to support the same command class. For example, I have four dinners (multilevel class) and three switches (binary switch) in my kitchen and I cannot send one multicast to turn them all on/off. (I have an open big report on this from a year ago: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/54631)

Also, I’ve been able to add at least one device with S2 security on my Aoetec 500 series stick, so that can work!

I tried the Zwave multicast in an automation. But first I updated the firmware on my Leviton zwave switches DZ15S and DZ6HD (dimmers) with firmware 1.22 and 1.23 respectively. The Aoetech Zstick7 also has latest firmware. I created an automation hitting all the lights (command class 37,false and command class 38,0). If I just hit one of the light , it works fine to turn off. But if the I do the full groups of lights at once I get the same behavior with not all lights going OFF. So for now I am keeping the switch off 3 lights, delay 10 seconds, repeat until done all lights. This remains the only viable strategy I have for the 30 lights at the moment. Of the 30 lights, at least 4-6 do not turn off each time when using the multicast automation, which is worse then the non-multicast version I had.

2022-07-16 08:59:13 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.script.alloffbutselect] AllOffButSelect: Error executing script. Unexpected error for call_service at pos 2: Z-Wave error 202: One or more nodes did not respond to the multicast request (Status Fail) (ZW0202)

Could well be Leviton firmware at issue. Specifically, the dimmers versions DZ6HD. Those are the ones tmostly hat remain ON ignoring the turn OFF signal in the automation. Random which ones, but always 4-6 of those in the mutlicast that don’t turn off. Oddly, the DZ15S sometimes go offline, while the DZ6HD seem to not go offline but just stay ON with an error in the log per above.