Z-Wave Flakey at best

I’m currently running HASS in a Docker container on my Synology Nas and have been for the last year. Lately i have been having lots of trouble with Z-Wave.

I use an Aeotec Gen5 USB and since this started i have begun i have been running my container from the GUI apposed to SSH. I foudn this possible solution after reading threads on here.

ISSUE/SCENARIO 1
I have had a couple of instances where iv lost my Z-Wave config it has just outright wiped it self clean after a restart of the container. Luckily i have had backups and been able to restore them.

ISSUE/SCENARIO 2
Everything loads seemingly normal but nothing works lights are unresponsive sensors static and no matter how much time passes or network heals i do i get nothing

ISSUE/SCENARIO 3
Same as above but some devices respond normally in perfect fashion while others are totally unresponsive.

ISSUE/SCENARIO 4
Everything loads normally and operates as intended but eventually deteriorates into either scenario 3/4 above.

ISSUE/SCENARIO 5
Everything loads normally i receive feedback from lights and sensors but am unable to control anything.

I am unsure if this associated with an HASS upgrade. I currently use OZWCP to add/remove devices of which i have about 60. Logs all seem fine except for scenario 1 where i get constant error messages.

Does anybody with Z-Wave experience/knowledge have any advice for me?

Do you think ill have any luck doing any of the following?
Rebuild my Z-Wave network from scratch. If so should i use OZWCP or via HASS?
Replace my AEOTEC USB? Like 4 Like Alternative?

Have had similar issues to Scenario 1 many times - all devices renamed after a reboot. Especially noticeable when doing reboots close together fault finding.

Now I host all z-wave devices on a Vera Hub using HA for the automations. Seems to run smoothly

1 Like

Sixty devices is a lot! It could be only a few small issues that cause the problems you are describing. The USB stick you are using is widely known and used, so I don’t think that is the cuprit.

Check out my post if you haven’t already: “My first time Home Assistant and OpenZWave experiences”. Maybe there are some things in there that can help you.

In the end I’ve chosen this route: no zwave security (to avoid message overhead), check the OZW log file for any errors, and fix (or explain and accept) any error I see, starting from topmost one. And understand how HA interacts with the zwcfg cache xml file. Oh and I have had no need for OZWCP.

Vera hub is on the way! Keeping my fingers crossed this solves my issues. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks Joost ill give it a read if the Vera hub fails.