Z-Wave fresh installation fail

Just for the record, it may not be worth investing a lot of time in this unless you have no other way to access your ZWave devices as the trend is to move away from OZW and move the basic management of ZWave into HA natively.

This is why you have seen the changes in the last two releases; @balloob has been working with the other core devs on trying to get full zwave management support into HA directly. This issue posting in github lays out his plan:

but… but… my alarm system is not working right now. it has been down for more than 2 days. can i get it up first then we can slowly move to the new system.

1 Like

Understood - I just made that comment so that people will know the plans and to address those that have working systems.

I’m not advising anyone to give up supporting your issue for sure! Hope it wasn’t taken that way!!

actually, thanks for sharing that. glad to know HA is taking z-wave into its own hand. I really hope this will prevent this issue from happening again.

anyway, I have notice the step git checkout python3 is gone from the guide. so does that mean i can skip that step and re-perform all the steps?

I just spend more than 1 hour re-performed all the steps and problem is still there.

You might want to try an appeal on Gitter chat; usually a few higher level coders hanging out and someone may be able to shed some light on it. You have the knowledge and experience to explain your problem well so I’m sure someone would jump in to help.

I’ve visited a few times and I’ve seen folks there that hadn’t even bothered to research their issue and they were treated friendly enough; you’re certainly way above that crowd. I wish I could help more myself; doing it as an AIO install, I’ve bypassed having to install and config all of the OZWCP stuff so it remains mostly a black box to me. It works and works reliably so I try not to screw with it. :smile:

That’s about the best I can offer beyond some of these links I found in my research - maybe one of them will lead to a breakthrough? They aren’t HA but I’m thinking the concepts may lead to some discovery or relation…

It leads me to think that maybe the line

(homeassistant) homeassistant@hassbian:/srv/homeassistant/src/python-openzwave $ git checkout python3

maybe needs to be preceded by a git fetch?

Has anyone had anymore luck with this? I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to fix it. I’ve even tried the latest Hassbian image with no luck. Any help would be amazing as Zwave is integral to my setup.

So there is a new hassbian image that fixed an issue with the Openzwave install (released 4/29): Did you try it? https://github.com/home-assistant/pi-gen/releases/tag/v1.21

1 Like

Yeah this worked perfectly, so glad to have my motion sensors back.

1 Like

The new Hassbian image 1.21 did resolve my Open Z-Wave installation problem.

But I still had problems configuring zwave.

After lot of googling.

1. Find the path of your Z-Wave USB stick

$ ls /dev/ttyACM*
/dev/ttyACM0

1. cd /python-openzwave and run “pyozw_check -i -d /dev/ttyACM0”

pi@hassbian:~/python-openzwave $ pyozw_check -i -d /dev/ttyACM0

Intialize device /dev/ttyACM0

Try to get options

Try to get manager

2017-04-30 22:49:18.286 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.2508 Starting Up

Try to get python_openzwave version

Try to get python_openzwave full version

python_openzwave version 0.4.0.31 (embed / Apr 30 2017 - 16:00:06)

Try to get openzwave version

Try to get default config path

/home/pi/python-openzwave/openzwave/config

1. Under “Try to get default config path” you will find your config path for your zwave configuration

2. The zwave config in configuration.yaml file should look like:

zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
config_path: /home/pi/python-openzwave/openzwave/config

1. Restarted Home Assistant and zwave worked.

Yeah this new process worked for me also and I did not have to go through the process that arviragu did. Worked as documented after running hassbian-config.
Thanks BendedArrow for posting that link

Kilo

BTW. This also fixed my thermostat issue I had earlier which I know that problem is posted somewhere else here in the forum but I thought I would just mention it here in case someone here had that problem.