Z-Wave is not dead

Add tot that the option off “direct association” although zwave js does not support it (?), JS UI seems to?

Zigbee has some sort of groups but I never got it working as wanted. Zwave’s direct association worked well even 10 years ago but my js install does not seem to support it (?).

Maybe there’s an option to switch more easy from js to ui in the future. I know there’s a manual on the forum but it’s very lengthy and I can’t afford any downtime risc.

@balloob, it’s really nice to hear about everything you are doing to strengthen both Z-Wave Alliance and the support for Z-Wave in HA!

4 Likes

What can I do to encourage vendors to ship multiple region versions of their devices? Love my Z-Wave devices, but in Australia, there are so few options to choose from, most running 500 series.

2 Likes

State of Zwave in Australia:

• Generation old devices
  • Limited options
  • Expensive
1 Like

Totally agree

However, regarding to the Fibaro part :slight_smile: This is the reason why I banned Fibaro product from my home automation setup as this approach gives also a sneak peak of how much Fibaro cares about security of their own hardware in non Fibaro setups when vulnerabilities are found :wink:

On the other side the Fibaro part shouldn’t be in the list as this is Fibaro’s decision and the Z-wave alliance shouldn’t be blamed for it (as putting a vendor lock by keeping the firmware hidden isn’t part of Z-wave regulations)

1 Like

Just FYI this is possible in Z2M as well, it’s called binding there.

(Not attempting to promote Z2M over ZWaveJS btw, I use both and think both are great. 78 Zigbee devices in Z2M and 130 ZWave devices in ZWaveJS on my networks.)

I hope the Z-wave stick isn’t like my SkyConnect. DOA.

I know it is, possibly better working than in ZHA, where no one seems to get it working. But the problem is that not all brands implement it, or do not implement it the same, so compatibility is a hit or miss. Also many people seem to experience problems where remotes get linked to all lights unexpectedly. Also the linking possibilities based on proximity are silly imho, way to risky to get wrong.

Do you also plan to make a new Zigbee Coordinator model with external antenna option?

That to me is the only big negative with Zwave devices.

It’s my understanding that if you run out of node id’s at the end then the controller just wraps around to the beginning and starts using available node ids from there.

I could of course be wrong but at least that’s my understanding.

Well, another big negative is that there is no global sub-1GHz freqency it have been able to use so manufacturs have not been able to sell the exact same device hardware worldwide. They previously had to make different hardware models for various RF regions and now with latest multi-frequency radio SoCs so they still have to make a certify different firmware for various RF regions. Having to manufacture different devices for various regions is also another reason why Z-Wave devices cost more.

Not really a big negative for me personally. I really don’t care what the manufacturer needs to do to get the product to my door. Obviously that likely feeds back into the price so of course that’s a consideration.

Regarding price, is Z-Wave technically more expensive to implement, or could some of the added costs be in licensing overhead? In other words, could making it more open bring the price down?

Maybe, but it will cost us the “it just works” factor, being the same song, as Zigbee. I’m not a big fan of that approach.

1 Like

You make a good point. Take HA for example. There are an incredible number of different components, add-ons, integrations and god knows what else. Volunteers develop things which others come to depend on, then abandon them. If you use even a fraction of what’s available, you are guaranteed to have an ongoing maintenance nightmare.

I just spent the last 2 days recovering from a combination of an abandoned integration, with four updates, two downgrades and re-updates, a restore from backup, some intense debugging and one massively stupid mistake I made myself. Yet still, I remain a fan.

For the record, Zigbee (ZHA) has been in that “it just works” mode for me for over 5 years. Totally plug-and-play. It’s the one thing I never have to mess with, configure or debug. Admittedly I only have 23 devices and they’re simple things like plugs, switches and energy-monitoring smart plugs. I’ve heard it gets worse when you start using more complex functionality.

1 Like

If I compare price against reliability, for me reliability always wins.
Lets face the truth, zwave IS the better system.

But in the end it were we users which make things like Zigbee a success because they are one or two bucks cheaper than a solid product.

I like my zwave devices (and yes, this includes some Fibaro things :wink:) because it simply works… reliable…

3 Likes

ZWave unfortunately will lose first due to price (openness - is that a word ?). ZigBee is currently + in Europe anyway.

However eventually Matter/Thread will win although currently ‘beta and early days’, with teething issues, quite expectedly. But work through those through its early entry and if you need stability then wait a while. I have confidence it’s going to be good.

But please don’t stand RF historic ‘Z’ ground out of stubbornness or past investment. Technology is evolving, help the HA infrastructure to get a great standard going forward with Thread/Matter. Continue to use ‘Z’ until you can transition to Matter/Thread when it’s reliable, functional and feature supportive for you.

All RF based networks have, and will continue to have issues of varying reliability and the solid solution will always be bus/wired based. However IP based is pretty solid or can be architected to be so,

Thread/Matter for the win and ZWave for the early bath.

Sorry, but it had to be done

Yosmart says they have a new hub planned for 2024 that supports local API.
It’s in their FAQ at YoLink towards the end .

Of course, I’ll believe it when I see it. But I don’t think it’s accurate that they have completely dropped the ball on it yet.

1 Like

Disagree strongly that IP based is the solution, and even more so wired. IP based has all kinds of security implications when devices stop getting security updates for the firmware. With a hub controlling Z-wave devices, only the hub itself has to be patched.

Wired isn’t going to be the solution for a variety of applications like water sensors, motion sensors for the mailbox, door sensors. Wired has its uses, of course, for things like switches, but we’re talking about power, not communication. Running ethernet wiring to each of the 230+ smart home devices I already have would be utter madness. It’s unaffordable enough to do one run for all 17 rooms.

Z-wave uses RF and is pretty good, but still not the best. I have found Yolink has the best wireless range. Z-wave motion sensors in my mailbox don’t reach, but Yolink motion sensor does.

I have a mix of Wifi, Z-Wave, Yolink and Zigbee devices. With Home Assistant, there is no reason to restrict oneself to a single standard.