Z-Wave JS install issue

Hello All,

I got caught badly by the z wave issue. Had read that the old standard was deprecated so I went an installed Open Z wave then found out 2 days later its been replced bu Z wave JS. The joys of beta test, i’ll never learn.

So, I went ahead and restored my system to a week old back up because JS was not working, and it seems I am still not able to install it correctly.

First message I received stated:
" Failed to set JS cionfiguration "
and now I get
" failed to connect "

Seems like I am mising a compnent to install? I run on a R Pi 4, on Supervisor, so my understanding was that it would be just the 1 integrtaion to install.

Any ideas out there?? Please and thank you.

I have the same idea, using ZWaveJS2MQTT as the backend. I don’t know if there’s some sort of magical configuration for getting the websocket to work.

When I fired up ZWaveJS2MQTT, it defaulted to having websockets enabled (port 3000) and MQTT disabled.

OK, I’m an idiot. It tells me how to get it working within the ZWaveJS2MQTT docs:

Now it is time to set up Home Assistant:

• Go to the Configuration panel and click “Integrations”.
  • In the bottom left, click “+ Add Integration”.
  • Select the “Z-Wave JS” integration from the list.
  • A dialog box will show, asking to use the add-on:
    • UNCHECK that box, it will install the officia add-on.
    • Again, the official add-on is recommended, so…
  • In the next dialog it will ask for the server. Enter: ws://a0d7b954-zwavejs2mqtt:3000
  • Confirm and done!
1 Like

ok, this seems different than what I am doing, I did find that the configuration options were under supervisor and then add ons. I did finally get the correct USB path and the log shows its all connected, but not getting any devices to pay with, and I have LOADS of devices lol so basically nothing works, its like 1970 around here

Yeah, I think that was a bad idea to rush out the announcement that the old zwave integration was deprecated even before the new integration is even released. Especially since they have no intention of removing it for quite a while yet.

I"m sure it will scare a lot of people into doing what you did.

ok, I figured it out by reading the instructions but this is a different install compared to other add ons and/or integrations.

1. Install from Add ons under Supervisor, follow the instructions

2. Go to Configuration and add the integration

3. Make her open the box

I saw the announcement just last night… and I only got OZW running last week, so I’m going to hang around with it until it’s no longer an option, or until JS is doing something I can’t already do with OZW. The good news is, I can limit my trip down the rabbit hole with OZW if I know something better may be on the way…

I’m still confused about this Z wave JS integration. I currently have my original z wave integration added with about 10 z-wave devices all working correctly. Wondering if by installing Z wave JS, do I need to add all my Z-Wave devices all over again?

Devices are paired to the stick, so thankfully, you won’t have to repair them. Assuming you get through the setup to ZwaveJS, what’ll happen is all your devices will be created with a new name/id.

The easiest solution, assuming you have them used in different places and/or automations, is to go into each device, and rename the device. This will rename the entities at the same time. However, you will probably have to go through and tweak the name of some or all of the entities to make them match the previous name.

Follow the steps here for hints on how to get a list of all your node’s names & IDs.

ok thanks for that great info, another question would be adding the network key in setup for Zwave JS, I do not remember adding this to my original z wave setup. where do I even get that network key?, I do have a door lock already setup from the previous Z wave setup?

There are 4 guides near the top of the link in my previous email. Just pick the one that matches your setup, I think they explain that in detail. (I was switching from OZW and also had reset that up from scratch, so I don’t have the exact answer.)

thanks so much!!!

I´ll bump this in hope to get my Zwave JS to connect…

Used to have the old Zwave integration but decided to switch :crazy_face:
Only had 4 devices so no big deal at the moment but the new integration looks good.

Use home assistant default installation on a Rasberry Pie 3.
I have tried to install

• just by using the integration
  • then by installing the add-on through Supervisor and add the integration after.

Still no luck… redone it some times now.

Could the Razberry Zwave Controller be a issue?

I setup the path as : /dev/ttyAMA0
and let Zwave JS create the key.

Where can I look for problems?
(Edit type of installment)

1 Like

Hey Onslope, I had the same issue with looking for answers and had the same issue that it ‘failed to connect’. But by changing the path to another device solved my problem.
Good luck, Tim

Will try that path👍 Thx

To be sure, I changed this path ‘/dev/ttyAMA0’ into ‘/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00’

2 Likes

Super! Will test

I was having the same problem with “Failed to Connect”. Two simple things I missed:

1. Make sure the Z-Wave JS addon (in Supervisor) is actually STARTED
  2. Remove the checkmark from the integration, and enter ws://core-zwave-js:3000 as the server

And it WORKED!

1 Like

Thanks a lot. This solved my problem.

Hello,
It seems like I am NOT able to get it to work…using /dev/ttyAMA0 and have tried ws://core…
But under Network in Z-Wave JS, it says “disabled” under host…and it seems like I am not able to change it…
Does anyone have the time to help a newbie?

Best,
Kurt