Z-Wave JS using the wrong sensor for door sensor

Hi, I just added four Telldus TZDW-100 door sensors and all of them uses the wrong binary sensor. It does not react when the door opens. There are however three hidden/deactiveted enteties and one of them is the correct binary sensor to use. It has the name binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_door_window. Making it active and shown as door makes it now usable in automations.
I thought I would share that with you and also ask where it would be useful to send an error report? I am now using the official Z-Wave integration in HA.

2 Likes

That sounds like a bug.

1 Like

I have the same issue and the solution was also the same.

@freshcoast do you know why this is? I saw it on a different type of device also. Is there some config that tells it what should be disabled?

Well, there is a case where this is intentional.

A device which identifies as a “Notification sensor” device type (which this does) is supposed to use the Notification Command Class (CC) to report state. If a device of this type also supports the deprecated Binary Sensor CC, HA will hide the entity for that value. The reason being, there are a handful of devices (Aeotec, maybe this one?) that default to using Notification CC but also have a configuration option to use Binary Sensor CC instead. For those users, it was confusing to have a non-function binary sensor.

It’s possible this particular device doesn’t actually support the Notification CC, or it’s not working properly. This particular device has a config param 8 that allows setting the type of report, either Notification or Binary, the default being Notification (just like the Aeotec). A possible explanation would be that it’s not set to the default. If this were the case, and HA didn’t disable the legacy sensor, then the question would have been about the other entity. Can’t win either way, although I’d personally err on the side of showing more than less.

We’d need to see the Device diagnostic file (downloadable from the Device page) and driver Debug logs of the device being activated to know exactly why.

1 Like

That was a very helpful and excellent explanation for how the software works - thank you very much!

I’ve posted the debug info requested on this thread, as that topic is this specific light sensor device.

HS-FS100-L not coming over to ZWaveJS from deprecated Z-wave? - Configuration / Z-Wave - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Thanks @freshcoast!