Z-Wave outdoor switches - includes light entity

As a heads-up to anybody that might run into this issue, I have a GE Z-Wave outdoor switch with my router plugged into it so I can reset my Internet remotely. About a week ago the router started going out, seemingly at random. I set up an automation to reset my router automatically if the Internet went out, which works but was a bit of a pain. I finally discovered that these devices in Z-Wave JS UI at least have both a switch and a light entity, and that some of my automations that were set to turn off all the lights had suddenly started also turning off these light devices, which then turned off the switch (this power off does not show on the switch entity itself, though, so its status never changes even though the switch does turn off). I resolved it by disabling the light entity for the switch, but not sure what caused this behavior - I’m assuming either an upgrade in Home Assistant core or in Z-Wave JS UI.

I don’t have the links on me but basically there’s a “basic” way to control a Zigbee device (0-255), these were previously sliders that were disabled by default, but they changed them to be lights enabled by default in a recent release to comply with the spec

That sounds like a bug. Since both entities control the same underlying element they should remain in sync

Agreed - it took a bit of sleuthing to figure out what was going on here. Ideally if they were going to bulk add a bunch of devices to an existing configuration they would have bulk disabled them by default to prevent unwanted behaviors like this.