Z-Wave Route Debugging

I have a trio of Aeotec ZW121 LED strips installed behind a mirror at the edge of my apartment.

I’m having a ton of trouble getting them to quickly and reliably respond to commands from Home Assistant. I think maybe the messages are taking a bad route to the root node. If I use my Aeotec Wallmote the strips respond quite promptly, but when triggered from an automation in HA I see lots of retransmits and errors, and sometimes the strips just don’t respond at all.

1. Is there a traceroute-like tool for the z-wave network? Can I see the route that the messages are taking?
  2. Can I manually specify the neightbour to use? I have tried sticking another wired node with a much better line-of-sight into the area, but that hasn’t seemed to help with reliability so I assume that node isn’t being used as a relay. (I have done a bunch of network heals to no great effect)

Thanks. I have see the graphing stuff around and I do want to get that set up, but AIUI this just visualizes the node’s neighbour lists and doesn’t actually show which routes are taken for any particular message, right?

Yes, that’s probably true.

I don’t know of any way to get the route but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.