Z-Wave status not updating for lights

Not sure when it started as it used to be flawless but no updates to my environment for reference. I find that when I manually turn a Z-Wave based light switch on it’s not reflected in HA. So like:

The highlighted lights are on right now about 50 percent. I turned them on manually. Always worked before.

On HA 022.11.2

Using Z-Wave JS

If I manually turn on the switch in HA nothing changes with the lights but it does acknowledge the correct brightness level of the lights that were already on. Switch in HA does hang for a bit when you turn it on and then goes back to off and on again. Lights don’t change, just the behavior of the switch when I click it to on in HA.

What is the model of the switch?

Start with checking the switch config.

Refer to this issue.

1 Like

These are Leviton DZ6HD dimmable switches and have always been fine before. Note if I turn them on and off using my Alexa HA integration they report fine. Manually turning on the status doesn’t get updated.

Note get an error about missing XML clicking on your link for Aeotec.

Below are the settings thru HA I can pull up. Haven’t really touched these since upgrading from the older Z-Wave 1.4 integration.

Should note that “sometimes” it works? I tried turning off the light manually and stayed on. Turned it back on with the switch and of course stayed. Tried several other lights and all those went on and off.

Then went back to this one and adjusted the brightness on the switch and that reflected on HA. Then I turned it off this time and it shows off on HA. Then turned it on and showed. Seems frequently it doesn’t work but apparently can get it working.

Only thing unique about these is it consists of three switches interconnected as they can be turned on/off in multiple places but thinking that’s not the deal as they do work just not all the time.

Ok. To make further progress, you’ll need a zwavejs debug log, Also, check the firmware version, it does look like they have an update.

You have 3 of these connected to one circuit - in other words a 4-way switch?

1 Like

Huh, thanks worth a try. Looked for something like this myself an couldn’t find anything so fantastic. Is there a way to update this thru the website or do I have to update it some other way? Or thru the Z-Wave JS UI? Have never updated the firmware on any of my Z-Wave devices.

I haven’t done it either, search the forums for how to update firmware.

Did you get this sorted @jriker1? I’ve got a similar issue with several (not all?) z-wave devices that’s appeared recently, and was all working fine previously. I can’t pin it on a HA update necessarily as I also rebooted my entire smart home setup so there are several possible culprits, but basically:

• Z-wave lights switch on and off quickly from the HA interface (and the mechanical switches), but
  • HA doesn’t respond to mechanical switch operations

I’d actually go as far as to say that HA will never notice a mechanical switch state change (ie never, not just with some significant latency) because, for example, I have an automation to turn off a light 5 minutes after it turns on and that is never triggered.

In ZwaveJS2MQTT, looking at the “binary switch” for the node, I can see no response to mechanical switch operation even constantly clicking ‘Refresh’ for well over a minute.

Incredibly frustrating!

Have you tried turning the breaker off?

Yes, no cigar unfortunately.

If you have the zwavejs-ui, find the switch and look for this:

Try physically turning the switch on and see if the status updates in here. If it doesn’t try pressing the refresh button.

Also enable debug logging for zwavejs and post the log file entries while turning the switch on and off physically.

Thanks for the response. I do have zwavejs-ui (referred to what I know understand is the legacy name in my earlier post) and this is where I mentioned I cannot see any response to mechanical switch operations. As a result, I think its an issue at the z-wave end, rather than between zwavejs-ui and HA.

I’ve attached a log (for those following along at home I got this from: Settings -> Devices & Services -> Integrations(tab) -> Z-Wave (CONFIGURE) -> Logs(tab)): zwave_js.log

There wasn’t any action initially on the log screen when I flicked the switch, and a few seconds later a lot came through… but it doesn’t mean anything to me unfortunately so any help is much appreciated!

Your network looks very busy. Why is Node 23 sending so much data so frequently? Which node is the switch that is not working?

If you press refresh in zwavejs ui, does the value update or is it still wrong?

This does not look happy and there are a bunch of these. We’ll need an experts help perhaps.

2023-01-05T13:59:49.014Z DRIVER « [Node 023] [REQ] [BridgeApplicationCommand]
                                  │ RSSI: -54 dBm
                                  └─[MultiChannelCCCommandEncapsulation]
                                    │ source:      2
                                    │ destination: 0
                                    └─[HailCC]
2023-01-05T13:59:49.015Z CNTRLR   [Node 023] Hail received from node, but still busy with previous one...

Node 23 is a switch I used to generate some log activity. I toggled it on and off several times in succession so I’d probably expect it to appear noisy in this log sample. Got me beat!

And clicking Refresh generally does nothing. But on occasion,.the status will reflect the light at some random, eventual point in time.

I’m getting the following error at times too, which I suspect is related:

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/websocket_api/http.py:157
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 10:23:07 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:23:07 PM

[140164595620000] Client unable to keep up with pending messages. Stayed over 512 for 5 seconds. The system's load is too high or an integration is misbehaving

well node 23 is sending electricity wattage pretty much every second. Not sure why you have it set that low, seems a little much.

Thank you! This stands out as non-default and along the lines of what you’ve alluded to… could this be it?

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.15.50 pm

it could be, that seems aggressive for a switches energy, which is typically just linked to light bulbs.

Personally, I turn off all energy monitoring in my zwave network, but that’s me.

Strange, because I don’t recall ever meddling with this. The second dual switch I looked at was similar - 10s interval - and the third was 3s. Is this something you have to do one by one with every device?

And forgive my ignorance, what is “Group 1” actually? Is this the energy monitoring?

Yes, configuration settings like this need to be done one by one. You can also set the values via an automation.

It’s whatever you set up. Did you add a group association to your network? The only default group that’s typically added by default is Group 0, which is Lifeline.

I didn’t add any associations, and can only see evidence of Lifeline. So is this a red herring in the end because there is nothing to report on Group 1 so it matters not how often its configured to do it?