Z-Wave/Zigbee USB Stick?

Hello @russell.
Several questions.
Are you using z-wave part also?
Is it compatible with OZCP?
What frequency zwave part operate on?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, I am using the ZWave part, too. It works with OZCP (both OZCP and Home Assistant use the OpenZWave library).

According to http://www.nortekcontrol.com/pdf/manuals/husbzb-1-instructions.pdf it operates at 908.42 MHz / 916 MHz.

1 Like

Do you aware of same stick but with EU zwave radio (868MHz)?

@russell I doubt it would make sense (battery-wise) for gateways to poll buttons, so they should be pushing events over zigbee.

Now Iā€™d need to find a (eu-compatible, although probably wonā€™t matter with the xiaomi home gateway, as they are using the same freq?) zigbee-usb stick for my raspberry pi to try it out and help with the development where needed. Any ideas?

@teprrr: Yes, I agree - a button that needed to be polled would be a strange design.

I thought that ZigBee in the EU was on 2.4GHz, the same as many other parts of the world. Unless you mean youā€™re looking for a ZWave/ZigBee combo with EU ZWave.

@Lapatoc: I am not.

This looks fantastic. I am using the z-wave side of the HUSBZB-1 stick with good success, and I had hoped thereā€™d eventually be support for the Zigbee side.

What would be the best/easiest way to go about testing? Iā€™m currently running HA 0.39.1 in a docker container. If I can apply these commits to my current installation that would be easiest, but Iā€™m a git newbie. Or I can roll a new container.

I have a bunch of Osram Lightify bulbs (tunable white and RGB) and GE Link bulbs, all currently operated through a Lightify bridge and the Lightify component in HA. The lights work very well, but I also have a Lutron connected bulb scene remote and a couple of Iris Zigbee pushbuttons, which the Lightify bridge wonā€™t accept and are thus useless at the moment.

Iā€™d be happy to help with this.

EDIT: is it as easy as downloading https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/6263.patch then applying the patch? If so Iā€™m all over this.

Got the combo stick from the original post in the mail today. Going to work on getting my Zigbee GE Link links working with it today. Looking forward to trying to get my Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes working as well. Sick of using my Wink hub.

Honestly for me the Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes are by far the most important devices to get working. It is the only affordable remote that fits into a standard decora wall plate and looks like it belongs there. The Lightify remotes are atrocious and I refuse to buy them, and I donā€™t want to hang a Z-wave remote control on the wall. But the GE and Lightify bulbs all work perfectly well with the Lightify bridge, which was cheap enough and integrates easily into HA.

I havenā€™t had a chance to try but I hope I will this coming weekend.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the process for pairing the combo stick with ZigBee devices?

Yes, you can do that. You can also pull a pull request directly (https://help.github.com/articles/checking-out-pull-requests-locally/), and copy the files to your custom_components directory.

Did you get the component configured and running already?

If so, call the zha/permit service, and then do whatever your deviceā€™s usual join process is. The default timeout for permitting joins is 30s.

The docs pull request is at https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.github.io/pull/2155 - if itā€™s unclear, itā€™d be good to improve that, too.

Started trying this too late, now Iā€™m tired and donā€™t want to track down this issue. Most likely because I donā€™t know how to setup a db file for use:

17-03-09 00:32:11 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error during setup of component zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 150, in _async_setup_component
result = yield from component.async_setup(hass, config)
File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/zha/__init__.py", line 97, in async_setup
APPLICATION_CONTROLLER = ControllerApplication(ezsp_, database)
File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 28, in __init__
self._dblistener = bellows.zigbee.appdb.PersistingListener(database_file, self)
File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/bellows/zigbee/appdb.py", line 29, in __init__
detect_types=sqlite3.PARSE_DECLTYPES)
sqlite3.OperationalError: unable to open database file

You can point at any filename that is writable, itā€™ll be created if it doesnā€™t exist. It looks like you pointed at a path thatā€™s not writable by home assistant for some reason.

Giving a full path to the file resolved that error. No errors when starting up now, but my frontend does not come up at all, havenā€™t played around with it enough to know if it is related to zha or not as I was making some others changes as well. Will update you tonight. Thanks for the help.

Commenting out zha seems to resolve the issue for now. Never saw any errors. Strange.

This sounds like what would happen when you canā€™t talk to the USB device. Are you sure you got the right USB device? If you are, then itā€™s possible that Iā€™m not initializing the stick properly ā€“ since I experimented while developing, I never had a stick in a ā€œfreshā€ state to re-test with, and may have forgotten a step.

Can you run:

bellows -v debug -d YOURUSB info

And paste the output? The bellows CLI tool should be installed in your .homeassistant/deps (or you can pip install it in any Python environment).

Issue was that I didnā€™t have bellows even installed for homeassistant, doh! Havenā€™t paired anything yet, but zha component is now visible from developer tools and has the permit option. Thanks for the help!

Huh, it should have installed automatically.

Iā€™m really interested in getting this combo stick, too. I use Wink Hub 2 instead of ST but similar to ST, it also requires going through the cloud to let 3rd party apps interface with it, which adds latency. Having something with local control with HASS would be great.

My question is, can this stick run on something like a Raspberry Pi 3 running Linux? Or is it meant for a Windows box? I love the idea of it running on something tiny like a Pi though.