Z2M - IKEA Symfonisk Gen2 [E2123] Media Control v1.55

Ha,

If the zigbee2MQTT device name is Lounge/Symfonisk

The blueprint won’t work, it sets up fine but never ‘sees’ the button presses.

If the zigbee2MQTT device name is Lounge/Symfonisk

And you change the Home Assistant name to Symfonisk-Lounge

The blueprint sets up fine but never ‘sees’ the button presses.

The only option is to ensure that zigbee2MQTT grouping using the / naming convention is not used.

This has got me thinking, is this a common problem with Blueprints? Is this why I find most blueprints fail to work?

If I change the zigbee2MQTT naming convention removing grouping it will break a lot of the automations that rely on zigbee2MQTT grouping.

Reluctant to relinquish Node Red, it has been the mainstay of automations across multiple underlying home automation platforms.

It fits well in with my design philosophy of autonomy sub systems with an overarching command and control system, Node Red.

Home Assistant captures autonomous systems and exposes them to Node Red.

This way, heating (Tado), lighting (hue, Govee, Nanoleaf, Shelly), security cameras (eufy) etc etc all continue to function if the home automation goes down, reboots, restarts etc

I really like Home Assistant hence playing with automations, but need to make some decisions on where it sits in the hierarchy of things.

Interesting.

1 Like

Glad you’ve got to the bottom of it. I’m not really familiar with Z2M groups but I suspect HA automations were never designed for this, rather targeting a single and specific device and my blueprint targeting the MQTT path for a device is always going to struggle with this scenario. Grouping of media devices that a single Symfonisk controller is taken care of in the media player integration.

Pleased you like the blueprint though, always great to see something built out of a personal need/want become helpful to others :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just for clarity.

zigbee2MQTT groups work fine in Home Assistant and just show as regular groups.

The issue encountered was the standard naming convention in zigbee2MQTT where if you name all leak sensors Sensors/Leak/Room/area.

This enables a single Node Red MQTT node set to /Sensors/Leak to trigger on any leak.

The beauty is if you add another leak sensor using the naming convention it is automatically monitored by the existing node with no new config.

I use it for door/window sensors, motion sensors as well as leak sensors.

So got into the habit :slight_smile: if you can add a note to config faq that would be helpful :slight_smile:

Well you are doing NR (picture JSON) or you are doing HA automations.
Mix at your own peril.

I have been doing automations in Node Red.

And now dipping my toe into Home Assistant automations.

The peril is real and ever present :slight_smile:

Without much consideration, looking at Node Red managing exception/override lighting (2 hue hubs manage the ~100 lights/ indoor motion sensors), I see it handling Security/emergency, door/window sensors, leaks, fire, etc.

Home Assistant is automating audio/video systems, Plex/tv/sonos etc

I am leaning heavily to Home Assistant managing energy/ solar/battery/ev management.

The heating is on Tado with NR providing oversight/exception automations. NR manages all the blinds for every room.

Largely though the Home Assistant automations have been experimental.

I’ll carry on experimenting with Home Assistant automations and see where things sit best.

But I have a high confidence I can delineate home functions and have clear segregation of roles and responsibilities.

I do favour having NR as to top command and control authority though.

I really like autonomous systems, lighting/heating/security that can perform most daily functions on their own.

I’ll give it some more thought…