Zero direct usage from solar panels? All returned to grid

Hi,

I found that the direct usage from my solar panels always is zero. The usage indicators (balls) run from Solar to Grid, and from Grid to Home. Never from Solar to home. What should I change in my config to make that visible? Running Enphase (Envoy-S-Standard-EU), ty.

Selection_3171

You have used the same sensor for Return to grid and Solar production. That is wrong.

1 Like

For those, I can choose from these options. How should it be configured?

Menu_005

You need something that measures your grid export.
Normally provided by the solar inverter - is there a disabled sensor perhaps?
or maybe you have an export meter?

hm. yes, thanks. After some searching, based on your reply, I conclude that only the Envoy metered can offer this, not the envoy standard. Too bad, so sad. I’ll have to buy a different envoy if I want these stats, apparently.

You can fit an export meter to your incoming mains - they clamp around the phase/live cable so don’t need to mess with the dangerous stuff.

Need a meter that reads both import and export separately and that HA can read. Google what’s available in your region and see if there’s anything suitable. Probably less expensive than a new inverter.

Good luck

This thread suggests a Shelly em can be made to do what you need via MQTT.

See what you think?

Since that thread was posted, Shelly has updated the firmware of the EM, and it now tracks the both the energy consumed and energy returned without the need for MQTT, just use the Shelly integration in Home assistant.

you will still need to create custom sensors to split out the kWh counters into useful information. like below.

friendly_name: Grid Consumption 
        unit_of_measurement: W
        value_template:  >-
          {% if states('sensor.mains_power') | int > 0 %}
           {{ states('sensor.mains_power') }}
          {% else %}
          {% endif %}
      grid_feed_in:
        friendly_name: Grid Feed-in
        value_template:  >-
          {% if states('sensor.mains_power') | int < 0 %}
            {{ states('sensor.mains_power') | int * -1 }}
          {% else %}
          {% endif %}     
      house_consumption:
        friendly_name: House Consumption
        value_template:  "{{ states('sensor.mains_power') | int + states('sensor.solar_power') | int }}"
      solar_consumption:
        friendly_name: Solar Consumption
        value_template:  "{{ states('sensor.solar_power') | int -  states('sensor.grid_feed_in') | int }}"    
2 Likes

Do you have something like “P1 meter (xxxx) total power export”?
This is needed to monitor the energy returned to the grid (Return to grid).

For “Solar production” you should use “Envoy (xxxx) Today’s Energy Production”.

BAM! This one did it… as soon as I set it to “Today”, I saw the little orange ball move… Now, I’ll have to see if the totals make sense Thanks!

Marking as solution for now, will check back in a week orso.