ZHA and Conbee II

The problems I had are described here:

When applying the fixes that @Adminiuga provided (see thread), it started working. The fixes are now in 0.96 of HA, so you should probably update if you haven’t already. HA 0.96 also removes the double ZHA entities.

Your problems might be due to something different of course, in that case I don’t know.

On what firmware are you running?

I just upgraded it all to 0.96.2… and debian buster and python 3.7…

deCONZ_ConBeeII_0x264a0700.bin.GCF

Just did a firmware update was runnning *500… up till now looking good. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Still no luck. After 3-5 hrs the whole zigbee network goes dark.

I had make a video about ConBee II a small help for new users and I had also problems with stop running my gateway after one day or few hours, so I flash another software Nr: 26490700 and now after 3 weeks, no problems.

Links are in the video description
https://youtu.be/F9SKRksA3Es

Hi,

What FW version are you runing?
On the forum you wrote it’s 26490700 (which is not the latest) but on the video it’s 264A0700.

Yes that is true I don’t run with the latest version, because I have only problems with it
I recommended now 26490700 version, maybe later the company fix the problems

Hi, I’m trying to get ConBee II connected to Home Assistant (not Hass.io) ZHA without using DeConz. Does anyone have a [How To] guide on that ?

Check out the “configuration” part official documentation, it is explained there

Basically go to Configuration -> Integrations, press the + button, choose ZHA, enter the USB device path, choose “deconz” as the radio, done.

@Burningstone, hi and thanks. I’ve gotten that far - the issue now is; What is the right syntax for the USB path? (I’m running Home Assistant in a container on a QNAP NAS)

The default is /dev/ttyACM0. Do you see the usb device when you do lsubs? Did you previously use it with deconz or is it the first time you are using the conbee?

I finally found this blog (in Russian) which explains everything in great detail: https://sprut.ai/client/blog/1302
(Use Google Translate)
A key setting is to run the container in Privileged mode.
Now everything works great and I can easily add any ZigBee device to my HA.

All you other people running ZHA with the Conbee II, how is it working for you?

I have an issue where some of (seemingly random ones) my IKEA lights will report as being off despite being on. Sometimes they change back to the correct state, and sometimes they just stay “off”. Controlling them still works fine, it’s just the status that’s wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Borg my Ikea and Philips hue does that to … going crazy

Using ZHA?

Conbee2 + ZHA on rasberry 3b+

Also tested on a server using docker

Same same

Ok! Hopefully, they can fix it.

Can you report it here https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy-deconz/issues so that they know more people have this problem?

The issue isn’t the ZHA stack or the Conbee2 (AFAIK). Ikea bulbs, like Hue and older Osram bulbs, default to the ZLL Zigbee profile. This can cause issues with ZHA only cooridinators, like the Nortek and Conbee2 sticks. The base “issue” is that while ZLL and ZHA are compatible, they don’t always play nicely together when passing messages. This is usually what causes your devices to become unavailable or non-responsive to commands and status requests and can cause issues to your entire mesh.

Think of it like this; Two people are having a conversation. One of them speaks fluent English (ZHA profile devices). The other person understands and can speak English, but it isn’t their native language (ZLL profile devices). Because of this small difference in communication, messages between the two can get misinterpreted and/or lost. That’s the possibility of putting ZLL default profile bulbs on a ZHA mesh network. The basics are there, but more complex messages may (and usually do) get messed up. Another analogy would be emailing a letter to someone. You’re certain you know their address, but you have portions of it wrong (street number, zip code, misspelled street name, etc). While the letter may eventually get there, the chances of it not arriving are high because the post office doesn’t know exactly how to route it there and after a few tries just gives up.

Lastly, Ikea devices (in general) and Hue bulbs are extremely chatty on the network. This will cause messages to not be routed properly because they are either busy repeating messages for other devices on the network OR they are too busy receiving. On a pure ZLL mesh, this isn’t a problem because the profile allows for this increased communication without any additional overhead. On a ZHA mesh, this causes issues because the devices need to make a decision on every message regarding encryption (ZLL requires encryption while ZHA does not) and message formatting in order to be ZHA compliant.

tl;dr: Keep ZLL devices (like Ikea, Hue, and Osram devices) on a dedicated ZLL profile hub. From the original post, it sounds like you are having repeating issues due to mixing ZLL devices on a ZHA coordinator (the Conbee2). Personally, I’d get a Hue hub and host your Ikea bulbs there and then integrate that into HA.

Source: https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/user-guides/ug103-09-fundamentals-zll.pdf (particuallry section 3, ZLL and non-ZLL devices).

2 Likes

Ok. I have never heard about that before. I have had both the Hue hub and the IKEA hub. The whole point of getting a generic zigbee usb stick and use ZHA was to use one solution for all different zigbee devices.

I currently have no other issues with my zigbee solution than the incorrect status reports of lights.