ZHA and Conbee II

Aha! Finally an explanation that makes sense!
So the ZHA that I was referring to actually does stand for Zigbee Home Assistant, an it is the name of an integration platform in Home Assistant, while the ZHA that u/code-in-progress was talking about was Zigbee Home Automation which is a Zigbee profile.
That is a classical example of total confusion, when two people use the same abbriviations, but both have a completely different thing in mind.
Case closed.

1 Like

Well, it doesn’t really make that much sense in terms of explaining the OP’s (me) problems with incorrect bulb status indication, since it according to this theory should affect OTHER devices than the actual ZLL bulbs.

2 Likes

What a fantastic thread this is! This answers a lot of questions that I had. However:
Right now I have way to many RF technologies: Z-Wave, Wifi (3 APs), Zigbee (Hue & Ikea) 433Mhz (remotes & temp sensors) and 868Mhz (security sensors)

The 10-15 Hue lamps and 10 Ikea lamps work fine on my Hue Bridge.
Problem with the Hue bridge: sensors. I want to use cheaper motion/door/temp sensors.
Solution? Conbee II and move everything over to 1 network, 1 technology.

Is this a correct statement? “ZLL devices are bad ZHA repeaters.”

When clicking one of the Ikea lamps in DeConz I see this:

That says (Z)“HA” !? (and a little bit of “ZLL”)
Does this mean that this Ikea lightbulb is ZHA and would be a good repeater of ZHA sensors (like the Aquara motion/temp/door sensors)?
Then I could make sure there’s a good network of Ikea lamps throughout the house to enable these sensors? (and possibly phasing out the Hue lamps)

BTW, the Philips Hue Color bulb (latest firmware) shows up as a “ZLL” only device

I don’t know the answer to your technical question, but I can say that HA now works excellent for me with ZHA. I have a lot of IKEA bulbs and motion sensors as well as one Hue motion sensor. Also run wifi, 433 and zwave with no problems.

Oh, yeah, just something I forgot to mention:

I would not mind having a Hue bridge with Hue/Ikea lamps PLUS a separate Zigbee network with the Conbee stick but I need the “non-battery-devices” to extend the network so these battery-powered sensors can reach the Conbee stick :slight_smile:

Personally, I would try using only the Conbee-stick for all the devices. I think it will work. Three simultaneous zigbee networks seems excessive…

For me the Philips bulbs for fine as repeaters, however, I live in a relatively small apartment (132 sqm). I think testing goes over thinking here.

Anyone have any insight to how the Hue Motion Sensors play into all of this? I have a fairly robust Zigbee (ZHA Integration) mesh and a few 3rd-gen Samsung motion sensors which fire fast and accurate, 100% of the time. Before I knew about this ZLL/ZHA problem, I had the opportunity to buy some Hue Sensors for a great price, and thought the luminance sensor would be handy.

The box says the motion sensors are ZLL. There is a Hue document out there saying they intend to upgrade their devices except lights to ZHA, but it doesn’t address the Motion Sensors… I doubt they’re upgrading them to ZHA, but it would be interesting if someone knows for sure.

My two questions are:

• Am I likely to introduce the same problems everyone is mentioning with ZLL lighting if I add these Hue sensors to my ZHA mesh?
  • If so, is it enough to simply use a second zigbee controller for the ZLL devices (I have a couple extras already), or do I need to find a ZLL-specific (HUE) bridge?

If the Samsung sensors were still available, I’d just sell the Hues and get those, but I don’t see many zigbee motion sensors available at the moment, and those that are have pretty mediocre reviews.

Thanks

I have used Hue Motion Sensors in my network for a long time and they’ve always worked fine. I don’t have any particular problems with lights or anything else zigbee-related right now, except for the occasional bulb that stops responding, which is solved with a power cycle. Don’t really understand the ZLL/ZHA problem, if it even exists…

I run ZHA on a Conbee II and my zigbee network consists of a lot of IKEA lights and motion sensors, one Hue Motion Sensor and one Phillips Dimmer.

I don’t think adding them will cause you problems.

EDIT: One more problem I have had is that some of the IKEA motion sensors have started false reporting of motion. I have replaced these. If it comes back I guess it’s network related and not device related?

It definitely exists.

I have this motion sensors as well,I run a mix of Hue, IKEA, Xiaomi and Osram devices (60+ total) on a single Conbee II and haven’t encountered any issues in the last 3 years with this.

Ok, so how does the problem manifest then, if you as you say haven’t had any issues for three years? Is it because you only run motion sensors on the Conbee II and lights on some other stick you mean?

No, I run everything on the same stick. But I know people had issues with mixing ZLL and ZHA devices. Maybe I don’t encounter this issue because I have a large number of devices that act as a router