ZHA and problem with remotes (supported remotes?)

Hi all!

I have been using ZHA now few months and in past 2-3 months it has been improved a lot!

I’v been trying to setup remotes to control lights, but no honey for me here… So far I have tried following remotes:

• Ikea TRADFRI remote control
  • Ikea TRADFRI wireless dimmer
  • Xiaomi Aqara 2-button remote (WXKG02LM) 2018 model

All of the remotes are pairing easily to ZHA, but only Ikea Dimmer is sending events (zha_event).

Current setup is:

• Pi3+ with Elelabs Zigbee shield
  • 3x Ikea TRADFRI bulb E27 opal 1000lm
  • 1x Ikea FLOALT panel WS 30x30
  • 3x Osram Smart+ plug
  • 2x OnOff Zigbee controllers (Link)
  • 6x Xiaomi Aqara Temperature sensors
  • 3x Xiaomi Aqara Door sensors
  • 3x Xiaomi/Honeywell Smoke alarms
  • 1x Xiaomi Aqara Water leak sensor

Network is quite stable, but everytime homeassistant database is getting too big sensors start to fall offline. Plan is to move from Pi to more power full virtual environment (test system is already up and running in Virtual Box)

I also bought Conbee USB (supports ZHA and can be used with Deconz) stick for test environment and been running some test there:

• With ZHA (uses different Zigby than Elelabs shield?) result with remotes is same as abobe
  • With Deconz setup remotes are sending deconz_events to HA and looks like they are working

Is it just that ZHA doesn’t yet support these remotes or am I doing something wrong with my ZHA configuration?

According to this thread there are issues with the 5 button wheel. I am trying to get the dimmer working myself at the moment and will let post here if I get any success. I have just invested in a HUSBZB-1 (as my departure from Pi/Elelabs) effectively committing myself to the ZHA route, so I will be keen to see both kinds of Tradfrei remote conquered eventually :slight_smile:

Any luck with this?

My HUSBZB-1 and 4 x Aqara 2-button remotes (WXKG02LM 2018) showed up and I’m eager to play :slightly_smiling_face:

Easy to pair, but unsure how to react to button presses.

It seems that zigbee remotes address only groups, not devices. And groups are not handled in ZHA…as far as I understand.

I also want to try out zha, now using deconz…

I also have those Ikea remote switch… Are they supported now? Any examples for code?

Thnx

No one here using an Ikea remote switch?

I used zigbee2mqtt before I switched to zha and there, as Martin said, it is possible to pair them over a group.

But with zha I could only use the Ikea Tradfri Remote with the “ControllerX” appdaemon plug-in (can be installed over HACS).
But then it’s only working over Home Assistant. It’s not really a pairing.

I am using Ikea remote controls. I just added a Sonoff ZB Bridge and ZHA integration. I paired the remote, but I can only access the battery level. Same for the Aqara smart cube. Ikea bulbs work ok.

Searching for a fix now or I will be going back to the Tradfri gateway :confused:

Go to developer tools, events, enter * under ‘listen to events’ and hit start listening. Now press your remote, you should see the actions of the remote.

2 Likes

Thank you, Francis! I just discovered that. It seems to work with an Ikea on/off switch, but not with the aqara cube or the ikea remote control. I will try some more

I have also just bought the 5 button ikea tradfri remote and can pair the device but cannot get button presses to register anywhere in the system…

Did you manage to get yours working?

Check what francisp said above

I’m trying to connect my remotes to HUSBZB-1 using ZHA, can you walk me trough your setup? I clicked the pair button on the remote and hit search on ZHA and nothing happens. Any udeas?

Same here. Bought two of them (with the 5 buttons), which are discovered through ZHA but give no events when clicked, even when using the ‘*’ in zha_event (in Developer Tools) as @francisp suggested.

I focus on one of them, changed the battery, paired it, tested it and nothing. I then deleted it, re-added it but the same behaviour every time. I am getting only a battery entity. I should also note that when I am in the Automations UI, I can see actions related to the 5 button remote device but nothing is working since it is not registering any actual clicks to trigger the automations.

My setup is on a RPi 4 and I am on the latest version of Home Assistant (2021.1.5) and my Zigbee coordinator is a Sonoff CC2531. Perhaps this is the culprit.

Any ideas?

That is indeed the culprit. The Sonoff CC2531 comes with old firmware that does not play well with Ikea remotes. You need to flash it with the latest firmware for the Ikea remotes to work.

Aha! Thank you for the heads up francisp.

How do I look up the firmware version on my existing dongle? But after all, I don’t think that the Sonoff CC2531 is worth the effort of flashing since I just got it for a test in the zigbee IoT.

Now that my zigbee network has reached more than 20 devices (with 1 IKEA router included) most probably I am going for a slae.sh CC2652RB or a Conbee II (maybe the first due to its native support for Zigbee 3.0).

Replacing the CC2531 with a more powerfull coordinator is an excellent idea.

To flash the CC2531 :

However, don’t throw away your CC2531, they make good routers when flashed with the router firmware.

Good to know francisp. Thank you for the info.