šŸŽ® ZHA, deCONZ, Zigbee2MQTT - Ikea E1744 SYMFONISK rotary remote Universal blueprint - all actions - control lights, media players and more with Hooks

Hi there! Thanks for all your work on these blueprints. Unfortunately, I havenā€™t had any success getting this to work.

I have the E1744 Rotary Knob configured with the controller blueprint and the Media Player Hook. The E1744 is connected through the deconz and Iā€™m trying to control a Sonos.

Iā€™m not too familiar with the code stuff but found this red within the controller trace timeline.

Any suggestions?

You need to create an input_text helper like attached and then use it on the automation.

1 Like

Hi @robertlerd, thank you for your nice feedback!

What @jpleite suggested (thank you so much for the support :wink: ) should solve your issue: you need to provide a valid input_text entity for the helper_last_controller_event input, as described in documentation.

Thanks!

Thanks! I must have missed that part in the documentation. It is working for me now.

1 Like

I also had issues with duplicate actions with the deCONZ integration, so I updated blueprints (both the controller and media hook). I have no more duplicated actions (skipping one song when using the next or previous track actions with a media player), which is great!
However, I have now a far worse problem: rotating the button to increase the sound creates an endless loop that turns the volume to the maximum.
I have set the debouncing value to 100ms as suggested if that matters. Could it be a problem with my automation configuration, or could it be bug with the blueprint ?
Thanks !

1 Like

I bought an E1744 yesterday and tried to use this blueprint with the light hook and it did not work. Initially I thought this was a light hook issue, so I posted a reply onto the light hook thread (linked above).

Later, I realised that my remote is firing events that are different from what is documented in zigbee2mqtt (IKEA E1744 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT):

Triggered action (e.g. a button click). Value can be found in the published state on the action property. Itā€™s not possible to read (/get) or write (/set) this value. The possible values are: brightness_move_up, brightness_move_down, brightness_stop, toggle, brightness_step_up, brightness_step_down.

The events I am getting are:

• rotate_right (instead of brightness_move_up)
  • rotate_left (instead of brightness_move_down)
  • rotate_stop (instead of brightness_stop)
  • play_pause (instead of toggle)
  • skip_forward (instead of brightness_step_up)
  • skip_backward (instead of brightness_step_down)

So what I did to get this automation to work is that I changed /config/blueprints/automation/EPMatt/ikea_e1744.yaml

zigbee2mqtt:
      rotate_left:
      # - brightness_move_down
      - rotate_left
      rotate_stop:
      # - brightness_stop
      - rotate_stop
      rotate_right:
      # - brightness_move_up
      - rotate_right
      click_short:
      # - toggle
      - play_pause
      click_double:
      # - brightness_step_up
      - skip_forward
      click_triple:
      # - brightness_step_down
      - skip_backward

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s due to the firmware version of my E1744 remote, or if itā€™s something wrong with my z2m, but hereā€™s a screenshot of the device in zigbee2mqtt

Hope this helps anyone who is facing the same issue in the future!

2 Likes

@epmatt: thank you for your work on this!

I just started with zigbee/deconz and also got this rotary remote to control my media players.
With the help of this blueprint I have created a basic automation but nothing happensā€¦

- id: '1624872791126'
  alias: Controller - IKEA E1744 SYMFONISK Rotary Remote![bp|690x422](upload://jQlLS0vQc6z0Z6z7Z4pJnDfPfVM.png) 
  description: ''
  use_blueprint:
    path: EPMatt/ikea_e1744.yaml
    input:
      integration: deCONZ
      controller_device: cc744586ed184a772321a7299bed5723
      action_rotate_left:
      - service: media_player.volume_up
        target:
          entity_id: media_player.kitchen
      action_rotate_right:
      - service: media_player.volume_down
        target:
          entity_id: media_player.kitchen

I reloaded the automations and restarted the server but still nothing. Started over, still the same.
Is it normal that when I go to devices I see the remote but no automations are linked to it?

Hi @mat44150,

thank you for reporting. It might be a bug relative to the blueprint. You can check whether the controller blueprint is correctly firing ahb_controller_event events when triggered by a controller interaction. These events are used to implement communication between controllers and hooks.

You can navigate to Developer Tools ā†’ Events in your Home Assistant UI, then in the Listen to events form on the bottom of the page type ahb_controller_event and click on Start Listening.

You should then see events appear on the list while interacting with your E1744 controller. When you stop rotating the device, you should be able to see either a rotate_right_stop or rotate_left_stop event fired by the controller blueprint.

Thank you!

Hi @thedrinkeno,
thank you for your feedback.

As stated in the Requirements section of the documentation, you should disable the legacy integration in the Zigbee2MQTT device config prior to use this blueprint:

When configuring the remote with Zigbee2MQTT make sure to disable the legacy integration for it, as reported here. This blueprint wonā€™t work with controllers with a legacy integration due to their instability and fundamental problems.

You should then be able to use it without having to modify the action mappings.

Thanks!

Hi @Nick4, thank you for reaching out.

While configuring the blueprint you need to provide a valid input_text entity for the helper_last_controller_event input, as described in the Inputs section in the E1744 blueprint documentation.

You can find additional details regarding this mandatory input in the general Controller-Hooks Ecosystem documentation.

Please let me know if adding the missing blueprint input solves your issue.
Thank you!

I do have legacy: false set, but the events I get are still rotate_right, rotate_left, rotate_stop, play_pause, skip_forward, and skip_backward.

Anyway this blueprint is working perfectly for me now after changing the action mappingsā€¦

1 Like

Hi @thedrinkeno,

thank you for the quick reply. Maybe you might consider opening an issue in the zigbee2mqtt doc site repository.

If this is only a z2m documentation issue, we might need to update the action mappings with the one youā€™re using in your updated blueprint. I donā€™t remember if any user reported the blueprint fully working with Zigbee2MQTT.

Hi @epmatt,
Thanks for your response.
While deconz_event show 2003 and 3003 when I stop rotating the button, ahb_controller_event never show rotate_right_stop or rotate_left_stop.

When looking into the controller automation, it shows ā€˜no action takenā€™ when it should have chosen to fire a rotate_right/left_stop event.

I donā€™t know how to debug much more - I have no idea how to see the internal variables, but the problem seems to come from these conditions

- conditions:
    - '{{ trigger_action | string in rotate_stop }}'
    - '{{ last_controller_event in rotate_left }}'

(same for rotate_right). If I comment out the condition '{{ last_controller_event in rotate_left }}', the rotate_left_stop event is always triggered.

Hi @epmatt,

thank you for your blueprints. Iā€™ve installed and use your blueprint for E1743 and it works perfectly.

Now I want to use the blueprint for E1744-Controller. I added the controller by deCONZ - like the E1743. Then I configured the blueprint - including the text-helper. But it wonā€™t work. So I use the Developer Tools ā†’ Events to debug the controller. Iā€™ve listed to the deconz_event

When I use the E1743-controller - the events are recognized. When I use the E1744-controller I retrieve nothing. Is there a hardware issue? But I was able to pair to my raspbee/deconz.

Have you an idea to solve my problem? Thank you
Matthias

Hi @mat44150,
thank you for your feedback.

The problem might be with the blueprint not correctly saving the previous controller event in the helper_last_controller_event input.
Could you please post here the helper_last_controller_event entity state prior to stopping rotating the controller?

Moreover, could you please attach here trace files for automation runs triggered when both rotating and stop rotating the device? You can download the trace file for an automation run by clicking the download icon on the top right of the automation trace page.

Thank you for your help, I think weā€™re getting closer to identify whatā€™s causing the issue youā€™re experiencing. :slight_smile:

Hi @matthias.home, and welcome to the Home Assistant Community! :tada:
Iā€™m glad to hear that these blueprints are useful to you. :slight_smile:

If deconz_event events are not published by the controller, usually it means there are some issues with the communication between the device and the coordinator. This is often due to poor battery level, so my advice is to first replace batteries on your controller and check if this solves your issue; otherwise, you can try to reset and repeat the pairing process for your device.

Thank you for reaching out here. If you have any additional doubts or issues Iā€™d be glad to help. :+1:

Hi @epmatt,

thank you for your warm welcome.

Iā€™ve interchanged the batteries of the booth Ikea-controllers - but still the same result. After that I reset the connection of E1744 to deCONZ. It wonā€™t work. Maybe itā€™s a defect and Iā€™ll ask IKEA for an exchange. I havnā€™t any other controller/hub to test it.

Thank you
Matthias

Thanks for your reply!
Actually, the issue seems to be fixed with the latest version of the blueprint :grinning:. I just saw and downloaded it today. The error came from this line when checking if we are stopping the rotation:

in the faulty version:
- '{{ last_controller_event in rotate_left }}'
in the latest version:
- '{{ last_controller_event | string in rotate_left }}'

The latest version of your Blueprint was released on July 6th, I must have taken the blueprint a few days before it was published and hence, I got these errors.
It would be great if the Blueprint feature could send a notification if there is an update on the Github repo !

1 Like

Hi @matthias.home, thank you for your feedback.

Just as a confirmation, does the E1744 controller appear in Home Assistant, under the deCONZ integration devices list, when you complete the pairing process?

By the way, replacing the device with a new one is probably a good idea if youā€™re able to, since it will definitely exclude any factory defect. But I would consider also other factors which might influence the pairing process (e.g. interferences, high distance from the coordinator when pairing, etc.) before replacing the product.

Hi @mat44150,

Great, thank you for the feedback! Iā€™m glad to hear that your issue is solved. :smiley:

It would be great if the Blueprint feature could send a notification if there is an update on the Github repo !

I definitely agree on this! I hope it will be added in the future since I see more and more people using GitHub to maintain their blueprints. Also, keeping the changelog here on the forum perfectly aligned with the one on the repository is getting a little bit difficult for me, as the number of blueprints in the collection increases. :sweat_smile: For this reason, the latest updates can always be found in the GitHub repo and official docs website.

If you have any doubts or need additional guidance, Iā€™d be happy to answer your questions.
For now, enjoy the blueprints!

1 Like