ZHA Device limit at 24?

75 Zigbee, 67 z-wave and counting here, Sonoff dongle E as Zigbee coordinator, Aeotec Z-stick gen 5 for z-wave. No enbrighten devices though. No problems at all. Maybe (wifi?) interference issue? Z-wave and Zigbee should never interfere as the frequencies are way different.

1 Like

I have indeed. (should have noted that). I did get one suggestion to try pairing from a closer device (which I had not done before because I didn’t know I could do that! :slight_smile:) Will update as soon as I see if that works. Thank you for the reply!

That’s another avenue I’m considering given that I have Unifi 6LR APs and one is very close to the ones having issues. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I paired via the one literally about 6 inches away (its on the same wall, just in primary bedroom and this switch that isn’t being found is in the primary closet). I guess I’m going to have to figure out how to force those switches into pairing mode. Unhelpfully Enbrighten says once they’re powered on they go into pairing mode which is a bit unfortunate in this case. I see quite a few of the types of devices I added showing up, but I am not sure if they are the ones or not? As a newbie, the log doesn’t really make sense to me yet.

Don’t know if this helps, but when I pair a new Zigbee device, I wire it up on my workbench close to the Zigbee dongle. This way there are no intermediate devices in the signal route. Updates, when necessary, through the Zigbee network are really slow. For a device near the dongle an update takes just a few seconds. In another room, with two or three intermediate routers takes upwards of an hour.

1 Like

Since I have the HA Green, could I do it the other way around? IE bring it up to the room these are in and plug it into the CAT6 in the wall?

I don’t see any reason why not.

You talk about zigbee switches and 24 zigbee devices. Are all those devices switches, or are there some routers in there as well?

I have a Sonoff Zigbee USB 3 dongle as my router (I think that is the proper terminology?) and about 20 switches and 4 zigbee battery sensors. Is there a way to make one of those or many of those switches routers?

Sounds like that’s the problem. Most mains-powered devices act as routers, but not all. Two-wire switches don’t. Battery-powered devices can’t.

With a new installation you would normally build a solid network of routers first (typically lights and sockets), then add switches and sensors afterwards. The coordinator dongle would not usually have to connect directly with many devices, and there will be a limit to how many it can handle (though that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer).

There’s quite a lot of zigbee information in the Cookbook:

The Home Assistant Cookbook - Index

2 Likes

If these are the GE/Jasco switches, they should be great routers.

1 Like

This is an extensive community guide about zigbee: Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimize using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get a stable mesh network with best possible range and coverage

2 Likes

Excellent I will look at this. And those 20 are all 4 wire with neutral so I presumed they were routing. The zwave version does at least.

Just looked and yes they all say router. Mine are jasco 43080 or 43078.

Thank you I will go read this. The one issue I have right now is that I have one of those in router mode that is about 6” away on the same wall just on the other side and it won’t talk. Would there be some error I might look for in the log? Reviewing it and I see lots of errors and warnings but none really that jump out and say zigbee.

FYI, I further answered and explained the actual device limitations in more details as reply this other thread here which asked the same question → Switched from Sonoff to Skyconnect, burt still limited to 20 devices?

If your Zigbee Router devices are “in-wall” switches then you be aware that, epecially compares to lower frequency technologies like Z-Wave, Zigbee’s 2.4GHz low-energy and short-burst wireless technology has very bad radio propagation (meaning bad penetration of building materials) so if your junction boxes are made of metal or your walls are made of dense building materials then the radio signals will not go far though those walls/floors/cealing, so you will need to add additional Zigbee Router devices to further expand the reach (range and cover) of you Zigbee network mesh. When in doubt, add more Zigbee Router devices! :wink:

Regardless, if you read and do your best to try to follow all the tips in this guide before troubleshooting any deeper then you should be fine → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimize using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get a stable mesh network with best possible range and coverage

PS: By the way, the ZHA integration documentation does also cover some of that and more but in less detail as those docs not meant to be a step-by-step guide → Zigbee Home Automation - Home Assistant

1 Like

Many mains powered devices like in-wall dimmers and switches which are not easily accessible have the feature of going into pairing mode after you cut the power x amount of times. Try flipping the breaker 5-6 times, see if that makes them pair.

1 Like

If that same breaker has 6-8 zwave and 1 successfully paired zigbee switch, will it put those into pairing mode also?

I called Jasco today and they were not able to tell me of a way to make the devices go into pairing mode, just the factory reset mode.

Is there traffic I could look for in the master log that would show unpaired zigbee devices talking out to the mesh?

That might be the case, yes.

No, as far as I know you won’t get any data at all from unpaired devices.

1 Like

Wanted anyone looking for Jasco/GE/Enbrighten Zigbee (or Zwave I presume) switches to note that there is no way to have these pair except to pull power on them (not even doing the on/off 5 or 10 times worked for me). I pulled power (red/black) and then just put them right back after I flipped the breaker and voila their paired. I think it was a combo of me being a noob and not knowing that HA lets me use a closer switch in router mode when it’s far away.

Very solid HA! Jasco/Enbrighten/GE not as much.