ZHA Zigbee change channel

Does not work on Sonoff Zigbee bridge. Stuck on channel 11.

Where did you see that’s channel 11? By default it is channel 15

What if you try with:

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    network:
      channels: [25]

What happens if I change the channel on an already build network?
Do I have to manually reset all my devices?

I did try to change and after reboot all my devices remain connected, does that mean they are on the new channel now?

Thanks,

Unfortunately, you can’t. Bellows does not currently support channels. You need to start over in order to change channels. I am wrapping up a similar move of 200+ devices right now. It’s unfortunate that such a basic feature common on other platforms is missing, but it is what it is.

That’s unfortunate.
So in order to do that I need to remove the integration and add it again ?

BTW, Which channel are you switching to?

My thoughts are to the edge of the band, IE - channel 25.

1 Like

what is the easiest way to find out the channel used by ZHA?
Normally during PAN creation the coordinator is supposed to scan band and select ‘best’ channel. Comments above mention that default chanel is 15? So no scan in ZHA integration?

I’m wondering this too - I’ve a Sonoff Zigbee Bridge running over ZHA and I’ve no idea what channel it is using, so can’t tell if it could be overlapping wifi, etc.

1 Like

Here is a safe way (via logs, I did not spell it out in post, but shown below) and an unsafe way:

2021-01-25 09:04:00 INFO (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Node type: EmberNodeType.COORDINATOR, Network parameters: EmberNetworkParameters(extendedPanId=cc:cc:cc:cc:e3:ab:00:78, panId=0x3498, radioTxPower=20, radioChannel=11, joinMethod=<EmberJoinMethod.USE_MAC_ASSOCIATION: 0>, nwkManagerId=0x0000, nwkUpdateId=0, channels=<Channels.ALL_CHANNELS: 134215680>)

Hey @DerekO did you ever try modifying your channel? The HA ZHA page gives us instructions on how to push to a new channel. I’m hesitant because I dont really want to go through and re-pair all of my devices after the channel change. If I hear you did well with the push to the end of the frequency band I might do that as well. Here is the link to the instructions on moving the channel – plus I’ll paste the config instructions too:

DEFINING ZIGBEE CHANNEL TO USE

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    network:
      channel: 15             # What channel the radio should try to use.
      channels: [15, 20, 25]  # Channel mask

YAML

Copy

This is a good reference for channel selection Zigbee and Wifi Coexistance

1 Like

@Liorm0505 I’m thinking the same thing as you-- but after pouring through the forums, some warned that not all devices can play in the full range of frequency bands. Im pretty lucky because I just have two vendors - so i can just test both. (Sonoff and Aquara). Any luck on your end? If it sounds like nobody has pushed all the way out to 26 maybe I’ll be the guinea pig.

No, I didn’t. After analysing what channels I’m using the ZHA network wasn’t a big issue. The Hue network was though so I changed channel on that, but with Hue it auto re-rapirs everything so it was easy (and made a massive difference to reliability)

My ZHA installation a while ago defaulted to ch 15:

2021-05-27 22:55:41 INFO (MainThread) [zigpy_znp.zigbee.application] ZNP is already configured, not forming a new network
2021-05-27 22:55:45 INFO (MainThread) [zigpy_znp.zigbee.application] This build of Z-Stack does not appear to support LED control
2021-05-27 22:55:45 INFO (MainThread) [zigpy_znp.zigbee.application] Network settings
2021-05-27 22:55:45 INFO (MainThread) [zigpy_znp.zigbee.application] Z-Stack version: 3.3
2021-05-27 22:55:45 INFO (MainThread) [zigpy_znp.zigbee.application] Z-Stack build id: 20210120
2021-05-27 22:55:45 INFO (MainThread) [zigpy_znp.zigbee.application] Max concurrent requests: 16
2021-05-27 22:55:45 INFO (MainThread) [zigpy_znp.zigbee.application] Channel: 15

Will consider changing to 26 or 25. Morons in my neighborhood using channels 3, 5, 8 and 10. Doing that does not remove you from interference from 1, 6, 11…if anything it worsens it as now you get “noise” from both sides. WiMCA using ch 5 is overlaping my ZHA ch 15…

Hey, this was great help to get at least the Elelabs shield info, but I’m trying to change the channel and the terminal just gets stuck forever with no confirmation after I enter:

bash-5.1# bellows -b 115200 -d /dev/ttyAMA0 info 
[08:6b:d7:ff:fe:48:d2:b1]
[0x0000]
[<EmberNetworkStatus.JOINED_NETWORK: 2>]
[<EmberStatus.SUCCESS: 0>, <EmberNodeType.COORDINATOR: 1>, EmberNetworkParameters(extendedPanId=06:86:43:cb:1c:d7:d0:be, panId=0x9a3a, radioTxPower=8, radioChannel=15, joinMethod=<EmberJoinMethod.USE_MAC_ASSOCIATION: 0>, nwkManagerId=0x0000, nwkUpdateId=0, channels=<Channels.ALL_CHANNELS: 134215680>)]
[<EmberStatus.SUCCESS: 0>, EmberCurrentSecurityState(bitmask=<EmberCurrentSecurityBitmask.64|32|HAVE_TRUST_CENTER_LINK_KEY|GLOBAL_LINK_KEY: 116>, trustCenterLongAddress=08:6b:d7:ff:fe:48:d2:b1)]
Manufacturer: Elelabs
Board name: ELR022
EmberZNet version: 6.3.0.0 build 178
bash-5.1# bellows -b 115200 -d /dev/ttyAMA0 form -D zigbee.db -c 20

Any hints on what could be it?

I think you need to leave current one first.

Another option is to do a backup, change the channel in the backup file and then restore it and it will change the channel and retain all other settings. If you do this you may be able to just power cycle mains powered devices (leave them off for a minute or 2) and they may find the coordinator on the new channel.

You were right, I first needed to trigger “leave” and then I was able to change channel. Thanks!

Hi,
From where can you run this bellows command. I have HA running in a VM and have the SSH add-on, but once in there I can’t find the command.
D.

This solved it for me and I am so happy i found it… 2+ years later.
Just got the SkyConnect and gonna migrate from my Conbee2 and Deconz.
I’m also thankful to everyone who actually read every word in the documentation… (lol) :smiley:
Thank you!

You also need to “migrate radio” from the ZHA configuration.
Then “reconfigure current radio” → “select device” → “Erase network settings and create a new network”. You should still see all your previously connected devices after the reconfiguration in complete, but unfortunately you will probably need to reset and reconnect them all to update the channel and get data from them again.
Finally, you should see the channel updated in the GUI.

Yes things have changed since October 2020 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: