ZHA Zigbee change channel

My Bad, I am using a HUSBZB-1 USB stick.

I just cannot seem to get a stable Zigbee netowork which is getting really frustrating. I am even considering going back to my Wink Hub2. I am having various different lights become unavailable on a daily basis.

1 Like

Your device also uses EmberZNet, so bellows will work with that too. This is the same device I use.

What I have found is that changing the Zigbee channel will help only a little. If I were you I would start small. Start from scratch, add a couple Zigbee devices, and then see how it works for a week. Then add a couple more.

The main issue I have found with Zigbee is that the Zigbee Alliance does not really do their due diligence with testing devices. So some devices are “certified” but really are bad actors. These devices can make the mesh network unreliable, causing other devices to seem flaky.

It’s hard to figure out which devices are causing the problems, that’s why I recommend adding a couple devices at a time. Be sure to periodically look at the various LQI and RSSI to see if the devices you have added are maintaining a strong connection.

Thank you for your help, I have around 28 zigbee lights, and 2 z-wave switches. I was using a Wink Hub 2 prior to switching over to HA and the HUSBZ1. I know the Wink Hub had it’s issues but I never had any lights go unavailable which makes me wonder if it is an issue with the HUSBZ1. I even tried adding a couple of zigbee plugs from Ikea to act as repeaters. I do check the LQI & RSSI and never see any issues.

I may try picking up a Conbee stick and giving that a try

I and probably many others are successfully using the HUSBZB-1. It’s possible that something in your configuration does not work with this particular coordinator device, but I think it’s unlikely.

Replacing things without determining if they are at fault is one possible way to fix your problem, but I don’t think this is the best approach. I would recommend systematically trying to determine what the problem is.

1 Like

I would definitely check your WiFi. I had a lot of issues, then my neighbour left (with his WiFi) and things started to work better :wink:
The problem with our USB stick is that it is very vulnerable to WiFi interference. I improved reliability putting a CC2530 repeater right next to it. Beware of power sockets (as repeaters) as they sometime go to sleep and disrupt your network (I had issues with Xiaomi ones)

Here is a screenshot of my WiFi analyzer. I have 2 networks in my house on channel 1 & 11. Channel 1 is for my 4 WiFi security cameras. As you can see channel 6 is wide open which is why I was hoping to move my Zigbee channel up to 20

I fully understand your statement and you are correct, too remove all my lights and then add them back one at a time to test for a week would take pretty much 6 months. I do not think my wife is as patient as I am lol

Is there another way of trying to figure out what is causing the random lights to drop off the network?

According to a graph here

you should be fine from channel 15 to 20.
I would also search for other reasons.
Maybe just try some repeaters of different brand. I would go with one of these, if possible:

1 Like

OK I am getting somewhere now lol,

I am running HA in Docker on Ubuntu Server. I can now run the command

bellows -d /dev/ttyUSB1 info

But I get a timeout error, I don’t seem to be able to stop the ZHA component within HA. How did you do that? I tried removing the entry in my configuration.yaml and re starting HA but I can still turn lights on/off

It looks like my neighbor just got new WiFi and it is using channel 6 which was open. I have seen some definite issues since this happened

If you still see your Zigbee lights, then you haven’t disabled it. Make sure that ZHA is not shown in your integrations, and if it is delete it.

Remember you will need to re-pair all your devices again after forming a new network.

That’s what happened,

I removed the lines from the configuration.yaml but all of the lights still worked. Do I delete the whole ZHA integration? I don’t think there is a way of just deleting the HUSBZ1

I am definitely getting interference from my neighbors new WiFi, I found out that it is a TP Link Deco M9 Plus and you cannot change channels ! My Zigbee network has been all over the place the last 2 days

Yes, you will need to delete the whole integration, and add it back later.

I read through this guide, I am not concerned with the flashing part but actually building it looks a little outside my comfort zone. I do however have a good friend who’s an electrician and this would be right up his street.

Once the unit is made do you have to add it too the Zigbee network via ZHA Discover new devices as you would any other Zigbee product?

Yep! Once powered, it will try to join your network, so all you have to do is to run zha.permit from HA. I will probably show up as a light bulb, but no need to do anything else.
Actually it wasn’t completely flawless for me, so I recompiled the firmware with some tweaks, but it shouldn’t be necessary.
Good luck!

I deleted the whole ZHA integration and was able to confirm the current Zigbee channel was 15.
When I ran

bellows -d /dev/ttyUSB0 form -c 19

I got the following error

It looks like you used an uppercase ‘D’ and not lowercase ‘d’…

That’s odd because I used

bellows -d /dev/ttyUSB1 form -c 20

Could be something else. Maybe something has changed with bellows. I’ve never seen that error. You could open an issue over on the bellows github page, maybe they will know.

It seems -D is required. Try to find your db location and add that to the command.
My db is in the ha software directory. In my case: /opt/homeassistant/zigbee.db
So that command would become:

bellows -d /dev/ttyUSB1 form -c 20 -D /opt/homeassistant/zigbee.db

Thank you I actually got some help over at Github and it was the same answer, The location of my Zigbee.db was missing.

I have a spare laptop which I use for testing and re created my setup with a fresh version of HA. I have already checked and can successfully run the command to check what channel I am currently using. If I run the command an change the channel is it then locked it on that USB stick? For instance if I change it on the spare laptop and then plug it back in to my main HA machine will the new channel remain in place? I just wanted to ask before I started messing around lol

Thank you for your help