ZHA Zigbee HUSBZB-1: GoControl Mac OSX configuration

Funny that we all seem to be working on exactly the same projects and integrations at the same time!

I too am unable to get pybluez to install on 10.11. I also run into clang issues so something has changed and I haven’t dug enough to understand what just yet.

If I do get pybluez running, I will let y’all know. In the mean time, I have actually considered grabbing a pre-baked bluetooth discovery app and having it call a curl from applescript. I haven’t gotten to that point yet, but I might…

1 Like

I moved over some Hue bulbs to this adapter to get a better Zigbee mesh – all working perfectly.

Manually switched on lights status is not being updated on my Home assistant dashboard with this Zigbee HUSBZB-1. Is this working in your setup?.

No, it’s a limitation between Home Assistant and bellows. There is some discussion on the bellows project and few feature requests for Home Assistant.

I’m working on some code now in Node Red that queries the zigbee.db sqlite database and then uses the bellows CLI to query the lights and update the status in Home Assistant.

Hey guys, I’ve started putting together a setup tutorial for MacOS. Let me know if you have any tips or comments regarding setup, security, additional software.

Rough Draft

2 Likes

Looks great @moralmunky, you can add " Apple TV 3+ (or always on iPad) is required for home bridge access outside of your home network. "

Who is the audience? For the non-technical folk, would ditching the python virtual environment and reverse proxy with Server.app make it more accessible?

Finally, why not use homebrew to make installing python and node.js easier? We could probably come up with a little script/gist to automate most of it.

Good thinking about ATV!

I started thinking of it as just an archive of notes for myself but with the lack of information for MacOS I thought it would be a good contribution to the project even if we are the minority. Maybe splitting it up into basic configuration and advanced? I do realize that the virtual environments adds a bit of complication but I like that it keeps things tidy by putting the majority of the files in a self-contained structure.

In regards to Homebrew, let’s see if I can rationalize my avoidance :slight_smile: I have preferred getting the software from the main source, though sometimes more challenging, over utilizing homebrew to avoid the reliance of the third party source staying in existence. If I get the software from the main source I can download it and archive it. This could be another place where two guides might be more appropriate.

@moralmunky I guess I am just thinking of the average Mac user probably has less knowledge than the average Linux or Home Assistant user.

Your guide as it stands is a great resource for the technical folks.

hello everyone.
im having an issue starting zwave with husbzb-1.
Hoping someone can help a total noob .
At the moment i had successfully installed Python and homeassistant in venv (nothing worked before i moved no virtual env) installed zwave and gave it a path like suggested here (zwave:
usb_path: /dev/cu.GoControl_zwave)without any errors but cant add the zwave device.
also i get "Z-Wave not ready after 300 seconds, continuing anyway "errore.
Now since i know so little i know im missing something like permissions probably or something like that.
i would really appreciate any help.
ps…did installed the drivers for HUSBZB and can see it as
cu.GoControl_zigbee
cu.GoControl_zwave
tty.GoControl_zigbee
tty.GoControl_zwave

OZW log
2018-05-20 17:14:26.989 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.2926 Starting Up
2018-05-20 17:14:27.375 Info, Setting Up Provided Network Key for Secure Communications
2018-05-20 17:14:27.375 Warning, Failed - Network Key Not Set
2018-05-20 17:14:27.375 Info, mgr, Added driver for controller /dev/cu.GoControl_zwave
2018-05-20 17:14:27.375 Info, Opening controller /dev/cu.GoControl_zwave
2018-05-20 17:14:27.375 Info, Trying to open serial port /dev/cu.GoControl_zwave (attempt 1)

homeassistant log
Error executing service
5:24 PM components/zwave/init.py (ERROR)
Error executing service
5:23 PM components/zwave/init.py (ERROR)
Z-Wave not ready after 300 seconds, continuing anyway
5:19 PM components/zwave/init.py (WARNING)
Found malformed XML at http://10.0.1.153:26085:
invalid request

2018-05-20 17:14:27.375 Warning, Failed - Network Key Not Set

@fib0nacci, please check that you have created a network key for the secure z-wave plus network that the device creates. The link takes you to the z-wave page where it describes how to generate a unique set.

I have provided my configuration as an example

#z-wave
zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/cu.GoControl_zwave
  network_key: "0x01, 0x02, and so on"
#zigbee
zha:
  usb_path: /dev/tty.GoControl_zigbee
  database_path: /Path/To/HomeAssistant/.homeassistant/zigbee.db
1 Like

Hello, I am getting following error. What am I doing wrong?

Error during setup of component zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 143, in _async_setup_component
    hass, processed_config)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 93, in async_setup
    import bellows.ezsp
  File "/Users/homehub/.homeassistant/deps/lib/python/site-packages/bellows/ezsp.py", line 6, in <module>
    import bellows.uart as uart
  File "/Users/homehub/.homeassistant/deps/lib/python/site-packages/bellows/uart.py", line 44
    asyncio.async(self._send_task())
                ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

My configuration
zha:
usb_path: /dev/tty.GoControl_zigbee
database_path: /Users/homehub/.homeassistant/zigbee.db

Check that the device is actually mounting at /dev/tty.GoControl_zigbee.

Use the following command in terminal
ls /dev/tty.*
or
ls /dev/cu.*

The the cu version instead of the tty?

Also double check that you have the right version of the dongle?

@moralmunky Have you been able to get the HUSBZB-1’s ZWave radio to work with OZW on macOS?

I’ve been battling this for the last day or so. I’ve installed the latest drivers from SiLab (the ones that include “GoControl” in the radios’ /dev names), and built OZW 1.4.3192 from source on macOS 10.14.

However, when I try to start a very basic JS script (using node-openzwave-shared) and point it to /dev/tty.GoControl_zwave, it always sticks at “Trying to open serial port”:

Initialising OpenZWave 1.4.3192 binary addon for Node.JS.
        OpenZWave Security API is ENABLED
        ZWave device db    : /usr/local/etc/openzwave
        User settings path : /Users/iamkale/.mozilla-iot/addons/zwave-adapter/node_modules/openzwave-shared/build/Release/../../
        Option Overrides : --ConsoleOutput true --Logging true --NetworkKey 0xb4,0xc9,0xb3,0xfd,0xd0,0xb9,0x89,0xe3,0xcf,0xd4,0x50,0x14,0x3c,0x2d,0x8e,0xe0
2018-09-28 01:13:21.079 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.3192 Starting Up
2018-09-28 01:13:21.080 Info, Setting Up Provided Network Key for Secure Communications
2018-09-28 01:13:21.081 Info, mgr,     Added driver for controller /dev/tty.GoControl_zwave
2018-09-28 01:13:21.081 Info,   Opening controller /dev/tty.GoControl_zwave
2018-09-28 01:13:21.081 Info, Trying to open serial port /dev/tty.GoControl_zwave (attempt 1)

I’d be real curious to hear if you’ve managed to get it working. I’ve yet to figure out where OZW might be logging a reason why it can’t get past this point (the above is with OZW logging enabled)…

I have since moved all of my applications to a Proxmox virtual server and no longer host Hass on OSX. Did you try the suggestion of using /dev/cu.GoControl_zwave instead of the tty path? It was the only way that Has communicated with the wave side of the HUSBZB-1 dongle and may also be what OZW needs as well.

I know it’s been a few months since the last activity, but i just recently bought the GoControl stick for my sengled bulbs.
I’m running home assistant on my mac mini and want to get those bulbs and plugs integrated.
I haven’t had much time to sit with it yet but when attempting to call the zha service, a failure occurs.

I’m going to try the suggestion of moralmunky to make sure my dongle is mounted (i don’t like how that sounds) and come back to this post if there are issues.

Hopefully someone is still watching this post.

Thank you all for the above info. This will help me get started anyway.

Oh wow, I wish I had found this thread HOURS ago… MacOS can be such a PITA sometimes.

I typed that, above, HOURS ago as well because I am working on a mac that screen shares another Mac that runs HA. Both older machines, running a version of MacOS (High Sierra 10.13.6) that doesn’t like a screen sharing Mac to click “allow” in security settings to allow an installation. My work around after trying a script that I couldn’t get to work (syntax error) was luckily I had a bluetooth magic mouse to connect to that machine so I could use the display on one machine and click the allow button with a mouse bluetooth connected to the machine running HA.

HA is starting up now, the drivers showed up so I think I’ll be up and running FINALLY.

1 Like