Zigbee Acting Like It's Capped on Devices

Check out my related comment regarding new firmware for Sonoff’s ZBDongle-P CC2652/CC2652P adapter here → ITead's "Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus" (model "ZBDongle-P") based on Texas Instruments CC2652P radio SoC/MCU - #590 by Hedda

Recommend test the previous firmware release version to test if work with that (you will of course then have to restore Zigbee network from backup).

With updates of Z-Stack firmware it is best practice to do a full Zigbee network backup before and then restore that backup after the firmware flashed it (as flashing Texas Instruments often reset it to factory defaults).

Also, not sure now but of the top of my head I believe that you should enable software flow control?

Anyway, while not specific for ZHA be aware that the general Alpha/Beta firmware discussion for Z-Stack_3.x.0 coordinator 20240710 firmware feedback can be found here → Z-Stack_3.x.0 coordinator 20240710 feedback

However, if using ZHA however then best is probably to aubmit to start a new issue discussion for ZHA debugging and diagnos in Home Assistant’s core repository → Issues · home-assistant/core · GitHub

But first read and follow this → https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#debug-logging as well as this → https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#reporting-issues

ZHA developers then have the option to analyze your debug logs if you attatch them to the issue there.

That is what I have done too for Zigbee and Z-Wave (but only because I already had a large Z-Wave network before I started buying Zigbee devices), though you need to note that with mesh networking protocols it is best to have a large network, so I strongly advise against splitting your Zigbee network into more than one Zigbee network. You should really keep all your Zigbee devices on a single Zigbee network and make sure that have loads of Zigbee Router devices on that network. Spread out “known good” Zigbee Router devices evenly in your home and especially make sure that each battery-powered device has at least two Zigbee Router devices between it and the Zigbee Coordinator for redundancy if one of those Zigbee Router devices goes down. Again, the reason why that is and more is covered in my guide → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimize using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get a stable mesh network with best possible range and coverage

As did I and why I started adding Zigbee.

I agree.

I wouldn’t do that, you may have confused my meaning to mean that I would, but I was talking about spreading my devices across multiple protocols entirely.

@Hedda where is the 20210708 firmware? I see the latest and I see one from 20190523 but not the one that is shipping on the devices currently that I overwrote.

Later releases can be found here:

For older releases you need need to dig in the “history” for correct directory in the repo on GiHub:

I however meant that you should just try the previous release from 20230507.

More info and discussion about firmware here:

I just took one of my spares and loaded the previous version on there, 20230507, and had the exact same result: failed to connect. As soon as I put my factory version on it worked again.

It makes me wonder if perhaps I’m flashing incorrectly:

• Disassemble the stick
  • Press and hold the boot button as I plug it into my Mac
  • Start ZigStar 0.4.2 (downloaded yesterday)
  • Select my device
  • Select the firmware
  • Select “Write” checkbox
  • Click “Write” button

I can see it uploading to the device and it seems to work fine, but this is two firmware versions on two different sticks that cause the stick to not be able to be read by ZHA.

Never mind for now, I need to also “Erase”, I just tried that and the 2023 version is at least restoring, I’ll test how well it works before attempting the latest one.

UPDATE: Restored fine and allowed me to add another device that wouldn’t add under the factory firmware - this looks very promising!

So my original problem is mostly unchanged. I was able to get the 2024 firmware to work on the dongle after some trial and error but still cannot add a mains device (Inovelli Blue), so there is still something causing the network to cap at, now, 46 devices.

This might be one of those issues that could be better handled on discord, the experts are there and respond pretty quickly.

That said, and I’m not an expert, this really seems like an interference issue. I’d look at the energy scan, compare that to what you see for current WiFi channel usage, make sure you have your mesh on the best channel you can.

I’d also turn debug logging on during the join and see if you even see the new device announce itself and if so what happens next. As far as mesh size, I’m at 65, others are over a 100, you aren’t hitting a hard device limit here.