Zigbee behaviour. Ikea Tradfri products do not work as an repeater?

Dear Forum,

I have a new Zigbee setup. My server is in mybasement, here I have the Zigbee USB Stick installed. All devices that I am mentioning from here on were found and connected with this stick and, obviously working.
So when it comes to my Zigbee radio setup (air and walls between each component) I have the following lined up:

Zigbee coordinator --> Tradfri LED Panel --> Tradfri white LEd bulb A --> Tradfri white LEd bulb B1 --> Tradfri white LEd bulb B2 --> Tradfri white LEd bulb B3 --> Tradfri RGBLEd bulb 4

I can easily control the panel, most of the time I can control the bulb A. But bulb B1…3 and bulb 4 seem not to be in the Zigbee range. Am I missing something? All bulbs and panels are recognized as repeaters. So I would guess that there should be no problem?

What zigbee stick have you installed ?. From your problem description I guess a CC2531. It takes more than a straight line to create a good mesh. And my ikea devices work nice as repeater. Ideally, you want something like this :

1 Like

You are right, I have a CC2531 Stick. I simplified the Mesh structure. Most lamps are in the range of 2-4m to each other, I guess this should create a strong mesh. Since the Ikea devices work nicely for you, I would now limit the problem to the connection Basement -> nearest lamp.

What LQI’s do you achieve in your network?
How do you create such a map (in HA)?

To create a map, download the zigbee2mqtt assistant add-on.

1 Like

Thanks, I am using the Zigbee integration, I’d guess, for the fancymap I would have to switch to zigbee2mqtt.

The good news: I put one lamp in the near of the CC2531 stick and it has improved the LQI’s a lot. I can now control all lamps. Still the battery devices are not happy yet… I will figure it out.
Thanks for your input!

Update: Battery devices work in the near of the Zigbee Stick itself, it seems to be purely a radio range problem.