Zigbee device firmware updates causing headaches

I have a pretty big Zigbee network. I am using a Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 Plus dongle with the ZHA integration. Home Assistant reports 115 devices.

The devices are a mix of smart bulbs, in-wall light switches, smart plugs, and door/window sensor. A good number of the smart plugs are the power-monitoring variety, which I imagine are a bit “chattier” than other types.

I bought a four pack of Third Reality power monitoring smart plugs the other day. I was able to pair them, but Home Assistant was showing me lots of notifications about available firmware updates.

As I am updating the firmware on these devices I notice that each update attempt is only progressing a couple of percent into the process before failing. For one device I think I clicked through to update over 20 times. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

I’m still getting notifications in the sidebar to update a couple devices, but now the big problems come in. I click through to update. The update fails with a message in the lower left corner of the screen about “Service update failed” or something to that effect. All of my automations that interact with Zigbee devices fail. If I try to turn on a Zigbee device in the UI an error pops up saying something about the coordinator not being available.

There are only two ways I can get my Zigbee network working again, both of which involve “de-powering” the Zigbee dongle. The first way is to go to the basement and unplug and replug the Zigbee dongle. The second option is to completely power down the Home Assistant machine by using a Tasmota smart plug that is set up to turn back on ten seconds after it has been turned off.

Yes, I know I could probably just ignore the firmware update notifications. But I want to know what is really happening here. Do I need to consider getting another Zigbee dongle and moving some of my devices over to Zigbee2MQTT?

Are you attempting to update more than one device at a time?

I’ve found only updating one at a time is the only way to get updates to work with Zigbee2Mqtt.

1 Like

One at a time, yes.

Suggest first try both upgrading to very latest community build for your specific Zigbee Coordinator adapter, (noting that there are “Sonoff ZBDongle-E” and “Sonoff ZBDongle-P” models that use different radio SoC chips so have different firmware), plus also follow all the best practice tips here → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

1 Like

I just bought the same plugs last week. They updated without any trouble. My network is much smaller so maybe that’s the difference.

I set them up one at a time by plugging them in in the same room as the coordinator. Perhaps that helped.

The plugs are all in our unfinished basement. My Home Assistant box is in the same basement. I think the basement is roughly 600ft^2 with no interior walls.

I had some other Zigbee issues at the beginning of March. I updated the dongle firmware then (about a month ago) and changed the way the dongle is connected to the PC. It has a long USB 3.0 cable connected to a USB 2.0 port on the PC.

I ordered a Conbee II and I’m going to try moving some devices over to Zigbee2MQTT to see if that helps clear things up.

I think the problem has escalated. I’m not even trying to update device firmware and I’m getting notifications on my phone of Zigbee communications failures.

I have a Zigbee power monitor on my sump pump. I have an automation set up to send a phone notification when there is no communication with the sump pump power sensor over a 15-minute period. I am getting these notifications daily. All of my other Zigbee devices also stop working.

I got a Conbee II dongle and I’m going to try moving some of my Zigbee traffic over to that.

Could my dongle be failing?