Zigbee flower and plant sensors for soil moisture + light + temperature + humidity?

Slight off topic but has anybody thought to run BT xiaomi sensors in the Bluetooth mesh architecture? That would solve the problem to have flower sensors on zigbee, if it is possible

I’m using the ESP/Bluetooth proxy to get data from Xiaomi Sensors. That works perfectly :slight_smile:

I have seen that BLE Mesh exist but I have never seen implemented this technology. I do not know if it is only theory or it really exists.

As that is off-topic please do create a separate new separate thread about Bluetooth sensors and Bluetooth Mesh technology.

Though I can tell you right way that Bluetooth Mesh is not possible to use with eny existibg Xiaomi Mi Flora products because they are not based on a SoC radio chip and SDK that has Bluetooth Mesh support, as you need to understand that in order to use Bluetooth Mesh technology the hardware and firmware needs to be specifically built for it, which none of the existing Xiaomi Mi Flora models are.

Please respect that is discussing using Xiaomi Mi Flora BLE sensors and Bluetooth Mesh is very off-topic in this thead.

Again respectfully request that you start a seperate thread as this Zigbee thread is not the right place to discuss deeper about Bluetooth Mesh technology or BLE sensors which hardware do not have multiprotocol support that includes Zigbee.

Jeez really? I did not hijack this thread. The point why we all look for zigbee sensor for flowers is the inability to have them spread across garden using bluetooth.

1 Like

Some developers are working on BLE mesh architecture for Home Assistant but is still in early stages of development.
BLE Sig Mesh Gateway - Hardware - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Sorry to @Hedda but we (you including) are looking for solutions to the problem how to have plenty of sensors for home automation and BLE mesh is technology to address it without the need to develop new hardware. This is a solution if the zigbee sensor is not available.

1 Like

Did you not? You did according to Urban Dictionary definition → Urban Dictionary: Thread Hijacking

This thread is about cats and you want to discuss dogs, …er. I mean; this thread is about Zigbee flower sensors products and you want to discuss Bluetooth-based solutions instead, and that is off-topic.

Please just start a separate dedicated thread specifically about Bluetooth flower and plant senses if they are not based on hardware that support multiprotocol including Zigbee.

No, discussing details about setting up and configuring up Bluetooth-based solutions that do also not support multiprotocol including Zigbee is not a solution for those that are specifically looking for Zigbee sensors.

I was specifically looking to discuss Zigbee flower and plant sensors which is why I created this thread with a clear subject description and very clearly described in my original post as looking for that and even clarified that I am not looking for Bluetooth products. Sure you can get inspiration from such hardware but discussing how to use such Bluetooth is deffinitly off-topic.

I really do not wish for this thread to derail too much, which it will if people start to go into detail about different Bluetooth solutions instead. I am OK with discussing multi-protocol hardware if can run also run Zigbee but definitely feel that threadjacking is discussing Bluetooth solutions that have nothing to do with Zigbee whatsoever at any level.

I do not think it is too much to ask when requesting you start a need thread about using BLE sensors and Bluetooth Mesh technology on hardware products that do not also support Zigbee.

Can we now please get back on-topic, thank you!

1 Like

Hedda, you mention the bluetooth versions in the main post. What do you expect? If you want this to be about zigbee, don’t post links and expect people to gloss over that information.

2 Likes

I don’t want to offtopic in your post but off-topicing is one of the most fruitful activities to achive an objective. Brainstorming, giving different ideas and points of view avoid getting stuck in a dead hole.

Coming back to the sensors this post, in my opinion, I see some problems in most of them. They use FR4 PCBs without coating in the side. FR4 is non-isolant water absorvant material. This mean water will penetrate slowly thought the sides leading to permanent increasing offset and corroding the electrodes. How long does this take? Difficult to say but this is a problem that I have had at work.

Anothe possible problem in my opinion is related with electrochemistry. These sensors use AC currents for measuring. Currents below 20MHz polarize the salts in the water. These mean that working below that frequency you will measure humidity+salt content. I do not know the working frequency of aall sensors.

In any case if you want something with not many modifcations you can always buy b-parasite and reflash it modifying the firmware for zigbee that it is in github as its MCU supports zigbee.

I think if the goal is to really measure soil moisture (not even talking about high accuracy) it is required to do much more than just picking a 5$ chinese sensor and attach a zigbee transceiver.

2 Likes

Dear @Hedda it looks that you hijacked your own thread the most by this lecture. I will try to not share ideas with you, if you are niggly focused on rules. Please, accept my deep, wide and sincere apology.

Hi! Can anyone tell me which of the three sensors is recommended?

1. DIYRUZ V3
  2. b-parasite
  3. EFEKTA

Hello, today I found a sensor that claims to use Zigbee, but does not sport a model number or any details - nor does it exist on any of the Zigbee2mqtt herdsman converters after searching.

Wondering if anyone here has come across it?

Product in question:
Tuya Zigbee Wireless Soil Tester Temperature and Humidity Meter Waterproof Thermohygrometer Soil Monitoring Sensor for Planting
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005004979025740.html?channel=pinterest

2 Likes

FYI, rbaron is now working on a Zigbee firmware sample for b-parasite open source hardware project:

He is also working on a new hardware revision with buttons that makes Zigbee joining/resetting easier:

2 Likes

Walmart says it’s a model THE01840 sensor, and it appears to already be supported by z2m: Yieryi Soil Temperature and Humidity Sensor THE01840 Zigbee compatibility

Sounds like it’s worth getting a couple to test as the probes are stainless and shouldn’t corrode. I like that it uses AA batteries and not coin batteries too.

3 Likes

This looks really cool. Expensive little bugger though. I’d love one half the size and half the cost, but can’t complain. This might be what we’re looking for

cannot see it referenced on z2m supporting devices page. link from the blakadder page doesn’t work

FYI, rbaron has now merged that Zigbee sample to b-parasite upstream repository and he hasd tested it with Home Assistant’s ZHA integration (which works without modifications) as well as with Zigbee2MQTT (which requires zigbee-herdsman converter b-parasite.js from his PR that needs to be added as per Z2M instructions to support new devices):

I opened the v2 HW files in Kicad but I can’t see any button on that schematic ?

I’m interested to get some boards made now, but if there is a later HW version that would be the one to get done…

Are you looking in his ”hardware-v2” branch? Also maybe re-post that question in his repo’s discussion section since he probably do not read this forum thread here:

Yeah I DL’d the hardware-v2 repo and opened those gerbers.