Zigbee flower and plant sensors for soil moisture + light + temperature + humidity?

The issue was related to the device itself, it only exposes that data. I’ve bought a bluetooth sensor (i think is the xiaomi flora) but is only exposes these data

I really do not understand which device exposes also the other data as in the screen before.

@Giex is there any change you’ll may look at my post from 12 days ago? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Hi, has anyone tried these Zigbee sensors?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005457579746.html

1 Like

Came here to ask the same thing, will try it out after summer holiday if no one else has.

1 Like

Great, let us know how you get on if you do. They look quite promising: looks like a capacitive sensor and much smaller than the other ones.

I can confirm the latest hardware version of Giex ts0601_soil sensors are working well for me and I’m not experiencing the faults seen in the earlier versions.

You’ll need to confirm with the seller which version they are sending you.

The only visual difference I can see is on the newer version I have there is black Giex text printed on the top of the unit whereas the original had grey Giex text.

1 Like

Is there a trick to joining the Geix soil sensors to HA? I was able to join two of them to my HA setup, but no entities. Just the RSSI and LQI data. I tried excluding and reincluding one, but got the same result? Do I have to bring them under the management of the Tuya integration, somehow?

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 12.49.45

Different device (see the string starting “by _TZE200…”)

That’s a little perplexing, since I followed the Aliexpress link mentioned in this thread by samuelthng earlier in this thread…

It also looks identical to the picture they posted. It also looks identical to the one that mikejclark reports having bought from AliExpress.

It also looks identical (including the model number on the sticker) in the photo posted by schilea.

So, I’m having a little difficulty believing that I bought a device different from the one other people in this thread have purchased. Besides, it clearly is a Zigbee device (because it was able to pair to my Zigbee network and report link-quality metrics) and it’s clearly a soil sensor (because it says “Soil Sensor” on the label and has prongs on it).

Nobody else has had this happen with their Giex unit?

It may well be the same hardware, but those strings are provided by the firmware, so you have different firmware. We could argue until the cows come home about whether that makes it a different device. But it is quite likely to behave differently.

Is the writing in top grey or black?

Report with the device signature in a new device support request issues to the ZHA Device Handlers repository on GitHub. See the ZHA integration documentation on how to add support for devices with missing featuress.

Since people are already having success with this device (and because this is probably just a newer firmware that addresses the issues that people have been reporting here), I figured that it might be as simple of a process of just adding this particular device signature to the zigpy code that already supports the older ones.

Sure enough, one of the maintainers of the code added my device’s signature to ts0601_sensor.py 4 days ago: https://github.com/zigpy/zha-device-handlers/blob/9c985b47907b85c59c3c4fe2a9d3c46f0b507db1/zhaquirks/tuya/ts0601_sensor.py

So… next question is: how long does it usually take for the upstream changes in zigpy to be available in HA? Would it be a hassle to clone the zigpy repo to my HA instance in the meantime?

EDIT: I just noticed that my devices are now displaying soil moisture and temperature! So, I must have picked up the newer zigpy files when I did my HA Core update, last night.
Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 08.27.57

Now if I can just get the sensors (even the two Giex ordered together) to read anything like each other when they’re placed right next to each other. lol. At least the Spruce registered a rise in moisture when my sprinklers were on, last night.

1 Like

Do you mean the text on the silver-grey sticker? Can you upload a picture of the old and new one? On top (assuming the sensor is sticking in the soil) there’s nothing on mine. Thanks

Same here. Mine were completely blank on the top.

In the meanwhile I have received:

1pcs from an Amazon reseller, purchased on Aug 5 2023
5pcs via another reseller at Aliexpress, purchased on Aug 5 2023
10pcs from GIEX via Aliexpress, purchased on Aug 8 2023

GIEX and the other Aliexpress reseller assured me to send out the latest version
The Amazon reseller had no clue of what I was asking him :wink:

The GIEX sensors are displayed in HA as “_TZE200_myd45weu” manuf. sensor
The other Aliexpress reseller sensors are displayed in HA as “_TZE200_myd45weu” manuf. sensor
The Amazon reseller sensor is displayed in HA as a “_TZE200_ga1maeof” manuf. sensor

The GIEX sensors have a logo on the top, and some instruction text on the side. Both logo and text in gray color.
The other Aliexpress and the Amazon reseller sensors have no logo on the top, and a silver colored sticker on the side. And a different packaging (see pics).

Luckily all pcs of all 3 (re)sellers seem to work fine: When soil moisture changes dramatically (i.e. by watering the plant), the values in Homeassistant do change instantly. During times without watering, the values in HA slowly degrease, sometimes they stay at the same level for hours. The shortest period I could see between changes is 5min. All battery levels stayed mostly at 100 or 90 from the beginning (but they are only in operation a few days so far).

Comparing them to each other while sitting in the same ground, all values are pretty close (max. 10% diff.). Comparing them with another type of soil moisture sensors (Rainpoint), their values are roughly 10 to 20% higher. However - the Rainpoint sensors couldn’t be stuck into the ground to their full extend – so the Rainpoint probes may have been partially exposed to air and sensing more dry on average.

My preliminary conclusion: The issues reported above with excessive power consumption resulting from high frequent feedback of the device seem to be resolved. At least when you are lucky enough to not receive any old stock. Nevertheless only time will tell if they are also working reliable and well.

2 Likes

Thanks @vobele. I hope to hear from you in a month. I was unlucky to get faulty sensor a few months ago. But not giving up if I am sure that new version is fixed :slight_smile:

Currently my faulty one is same version as your: _TZE200_ga1maeof

1 Like

And what about this sensor. Is from Gardena, a well know company:

It seems it can be integrated in HA:

I see no mention in its specifikation that is uses Zigbee. Do you?

It uses the cloud.