Zigbee Herdsman cannot be started RPi 4 with CC2652 -> r pi the reason?

Hey there

A couple of months ago I started with an RPi 4 and a CC2531. At that time I only used node red and that worked pretty much ok for a couple of weeks.
Then out of the blue the adapter did’nt work anymore and I had Zigbee-herdsman entries in the log.
So I was advised to buy a different adapter. I got an CC2652 and wanted to do a fresh install.
At this occasion I wanted to try Home Assistant and run it from a ssd.
So I did but when using Home Assistant from the ssd the system would crash if I tried to reboot.
And there was no way of getting it back, apart from doing a complete reinstall.
So I tried the normal sd card setup. This one worked without crashing. But when I started to get my
cc2652 running I again had error messages in the logs saying there were problems wih the
zigbee-herdsman.

I am not excatly an IT pro but could there be another possibility than a faulty raspberry pi?
Since all of these three devices that caused problems (two zigbee adapters and one ssd) were
plugged into one of the usb ports I reckon that this is the real cause.

Anyone who can confirm my thinking? Or tell me otherwise?

Regards

Rico

I’ve read that the pan_id in the zigbee2mqtt config needs to be changed if you upgrade to a different coordinator.

It actually said something in the log about the pan_id being already in use.
So where would I change that and to what id else?
But I didnt’t upgrade, I changed the adapters with a fresh install.

supervisor-> zigbee2mqtt-> configuration
Any digits you want or current id +1

But I didnt’t upgrade, I changed the adapters with a fresh install.

Did you restore using a snapshot?

No, a complete fresh install.

So how do all these symptoms come together logically?
I mean why is the usb ssd causing ptoblems as well?

Make sure you have a powerful enough power supply !

I’ve got the original power adapter from pi association.

Plus I already looked for a stronger power supply but can’t find anything higher than 3A. And that is what I have right now.

Make sure you have a powerful enough power supply !

I think he meant for the SSD. You will likely run into trouble if you are not using an external power supply for your ssd.

Unfortunately I’ve got a drive without separate power connection.
Is there another way than buying a new ssd?

You may buy a USB3 <-> SATA Controller with the possibility to use an external power supply for that controller.

This is how i use that and it works without hassle.

But this would then indeed require to buy a new ssd, because my current one is an external drive without any power connection.

So, guys - update.

1. I got the cc2652 running, changing the pan id did the trick.
  2. I bought an external ssd (to be powered by a seperat supply) and hopefully this will work as no. 1.

So this means my pi is obviously not broken, I can work on my home automation again and I say thank you for your help.

I would think, that you can open the box and find an ssd drive with an SATA connector in it. Not sure, but i think that would work.

But i see you have solved it anyway.

Glad you got your CC2652R running. Mine just came today and I am about to upgrade from the CC2531. In case you haven’t heard, you can backup the network and restore if you every upgrade the firmware without having to repair all the devices again.

About the lack of USB power for the CC2652 stick while running ssd, wouldn’t adding a USB powered hub and connect the CC2652 stick will solve the problem as well?