Zigbee motion sensor recommendations

and on a side note… I also started pairing my motion sensors into a group and calling the group in my automations. That cured all my little annoyances with motion sensors… redundancy is a wonderful thing.

2 Likes

Not the case, at least not now (maybe old info?). I had an issue with a Hue sensor when I switched coördinators. I just deleted the Hue and the paired it again without issues (using zigbee2mqtt).

Just what I wanted to hear. Hue it is then. Thanks for your help

1 Like

Had no issues with the Aqara so far. I have it running for like 8-9 month. I use it to detect just “occupation” for the kitchen, to clean with my Roborock afterwards if noone is there anymore :smiley:

The TuYa one has a similar task (I got 3 of them) but they are currently only supported on the edge version (I think that’s still the case).

Do we talk about an indoor or an outdoor application?

1 Like

Sorry, I should have said….I need them for indoors

I am currently trying to find the best motion sensor for me
I have sonoff mini zigbee and philips hue zigbee for indoor.
It is true that sonoff mini has false start-ups (in my case from day one), in addition to an update interval of between 60 and 150 seconds.
The philips sensor seems stable, but sometimes the range is 7 meters and in others it is 2 meters, in addition to a very small angle of view, but it has a good update interval (adjustable up to 10 seconds, normally all the others are every 60 seconds).

I will receive aqara soon and do tests, I will also apply the hack so that it updates every 5 seconds instead of a minute, I hope to get good results, otherwise I will opt for hue.

1 Like

I’d be interested to see the test results from the aqara

I use the aqara as well. Once set up I’m extremely pleased with the devices, but two “minor” issues. Sometimes pairing is a pain in the a… especially if the sensors had been paired already with another Zigbee network. You just need to try again and again and eventually it will pair :wink: Another issue is that all my Xiaomi Aqara body and door sensors will not switch to the next Zigbee endpoint (like another zigbee router) in case the current router goes down (power outage). This should be the whole idea behind a Zigbee mesh, but Aqara sensors will always just want to connect to ONE router (or coordinator) and stay with it. At least they do automatically re-connect once the power outage is over. Thus I monitor my router availability with Z2M (which is running behind a UPS/USV)

You’re right, it should be the whole idea of a mesh. The problem comes from the fact these Aqara sensors don’t fully support the zigbee standard, which is why I wouldn’t buy anymore of them beyond the one motion sensor I got. I suppose if you know all this going in and are ok with it, go for it, but caveat emptor.

1 Like

I like them because they are really tiny and they have a very fast reaction. work great with zigbee2mqtt (once paired)

My favorite is the Smartthings satellite dish (newest) looking motion sensor. Works great. Can not find them anymore, at least cheap.
My current great favorite, available, is the Linkind motion sensor (amazon). That works really great too, zero trouble to add to HA, and all it does, motion and battery power.

Thank you everyone for the responses and quick replies! I really do appreciate it. For sanity sake I walked around and pushed the sync buttons to make sure the batteries weren’t dead and VOILA! they all showed back up in Home Assistant right away. We will see how long this lasts though.

Thanks

I have the same experience. I use both Hue and Sonoff motion sensors.

The sonoffs have a wider angle of view as well as longer range compared to the Hues.

A recent test: Motion Sensors Tested and Reviewed! Worst and Best Zigbee PIR - YouTube

3 Likes

Hi
I got a Linkind motion sensor and added to HA with no issues, however I cannot get the sensor to work properly, it keeps detecting motion even if there is no motion on the room.

This is the picture how HA sees my Linkind motion sensor.

Is there anything else I need to do to get this working?

Mine just worked, out of the box. I would try deleting it, and re-adding it into HA. For testing, sit inside of a cardboard box, or a drawer, closed, to make sure it cannot detect motion at all.

Hi @juanmexia

FWIW - I am seeing the same issues with this Linkind sensors (which I purchased around October 2021). Actually there are times when they work perfectly going from Detected to Clear and back again with movement (or not) - literally work OK for hours on end but other times (most of the time), they get stuck in detected and don’t return to clear for many many hours. I have tried deleting and re-adding… I even switched my Zigbee controller from a USB stick to the Sonoff Wifi hub to improve placement. No help though. I think I’m about to give up on these Linkind ones (though these did well in the youtube test linked above in post #28). Technically, this sensor says it needs to use the Linkind Hub so maybe they changed something in the firmware. Not sure.

I am using HA running on a VirtualBox VM in windows. All other HA integrations are working fine.

Did you ever change to a different sensor?

Hi
Yes, I’m now using Philips hue and aqara.
Both have been solid, with no false triggering. I do prefer the Philips, but they are a bit pricey at £30-£35 each.
I bought 2 aqara sensors from Ali express for about £18 for the pair, and they are pretty impressive.
I use a Conbee II on zigbee2mqtt.
Hope this helps.
Lee

1 Like

I wonder if you have a wifi interference problem. Just guessing at options, as I have never had any of these Linkind devices not report correctly, or fail in any way. At least, yet anyway.

Hi, I keep having the same issue and unfortunately cannot get them to work. I just ordered a pair of aqara motion sensors, let’s see if I have more luck with them