ZigBee or Z-Wave or both

I don’t know what to buy.

My house has four floors with the basic dimensions 12m x 6m and is solidly built with Poroton bricks and concrete.

For a functioning WLAN, I had to set up a MESH network across floors.

Now I am a little afraid that I will not be happy with ZigBee because people are always talking about the short ranges.

Where do I have to position my RaspberryPi so that a ZigBee or Z-Wave network works properly or can I rely on both standards?

It depends on what kind of devices you are planning on using. If they are mains powered or battery powered. How many.

Personally I have two zigbee meshes and one z-wave. They serve their own purpose. But I have a house with wooden floors, so for me it’s easy.

At first I think about some door and window sensors (max. 8) and some temperature and humidity sensors (max. 4)

I imagine a smart door lock with a camera for the future.

These are all battery powered devices, and don’t create a mesh. You will need some mains powered devices on each floor to create a mesh. Can be a plug, or a bulb, or a dedicated router.

This is the case for both Zigbee and Z-Wave.

Sounds like a lot of battery powered devices. So you’ll need some repeaters in between. Zigbee is cheaper option, since you can buy repeaters at IKEA.

Or you can go for Shelly window/door sensors and stick to Wifi, since you already have that.

For the lock I would go for Z-wave S2. And the doorbell with camera can be anything, whatever you prefer.

I have a lot of Shelly-actors installed allready (about 16 relais for shutters and switches), but I think the WiFi Sensors for Door and Window need to much power for a battery device.

What about the RazBerry 2 module?
Is that any good?

I’m not familiar with the razberry module. I use a aeotec zwave stick in a Nuc.

The shelly door sensors says on their website more then 2 years of battery life. Which is very good I think.