Zigbee questions - What is the difference from a Zigbee Router and a Repeater?

Yes, by people who don’t know what they are selling.

1 Like

I don’t use the dashboard much, but what are you expecting to see?

I was hoping to see the button actions. They flash by on Dev Tools-States too fast to be read. However, I discovered that the logfile does capture them.

They are all shown in the HA GUI

1 Like

Thanks loads. I did not know this was available. I always thought this was just a list of automations that use this device.

Yeah, Zigbee signal repeater or Zigbee extender is just a layman’s term for a dedicated Zigbee Router, e.g. a product that in practice serves no other function than to act as a Zigbee Router (ZR) device, (e.i. sold using words that are easily understood by people who is not familiar with Zigbee technical jargon).

More info here → https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#using-router-devices-to-add-more-devices

…and even more here → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage

In just to clarify it a bit more.
A lot of other always-on Zigbee devices, like smartplugs, lightbulbs and so on, also act as routers (or repeaters, if you like), so missing link might be better solved with a combined device rather than a dedicated one.
Just be aware that a few always-on devices do not have routers included by the manufacturers for some strange reason and of course battery-powered devices will not act as routers, since they would run out of power very fast. :slight_smile:

Should be noted that most dedicated Zigbee Router products are usually better a Zigbee routers than a non-dedicated Zigbee Router product.

For example, “IKEA Trådfri Wireless Control Outlet” (a smart power-plug) is known not to be a very good Zigbee Router, while the “IKEA Trådfri Signal Repeater” is known to be a very good Zigbee Router.

Personally, I recommend that Zigbee beginners add a few dedicated Zigbee Router products as they are not expensive and being dedicated there is less chance you/someone will move or power them off.

And you should know that you can very easily convert many Zigbee Coordinator adapters into a simple but great DIY Zigbee Rouuter by flashing them with the proper Zigbee Router firmware and then power them via a standard USB changer, …those with external antenna normally work great for this purpose!

Again, more on that here → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

Well guys I don’t say that you are wrong on the repeater subject but this doesn’t help on clarifying things.

It is not really not that related to the product type, but more to the hardware used.
You will find bad dedicated routers too and good routers in combined products.
My advice is to ask on this forum for a second opinion when you find a product you are interested in.

You probably meant inexpensive, but you are right about adding known well-working routers, so you have a knowledge about the network topology, instead of just betting on finding some router in your network when it is needed.

That product is sold on Aliexpress as a repeater, so what could you put else in the name ?

I know, I have it. But this is official z2m documentation. Maybe one could expected some clarification on it. It’s quite legit question of original poster, but obviously that official documentation is contributing to the confusion.
Now even in z2m container or addon as you wish this device is classified as a repeater.

Welcome to the world of ‘official standards’, you would be amazed and some of the words that are buried in some of the technologies we use. Unix is poster child for this…

To Zigbee and ‘repeaters’, I am pretty sure that word is no where in the official standards documents, however in the official Zigbee standards is a type of connection between two Zigbee devices, officially called ‘None Of The Above’… :roll_eyes:

The official z2m docs make it quite clear Zigbee network | Zigbee2MQTT

1 Like

You know I would never get in discussion if @Hedda didn’t call people layman’s for thinking there is a zigbee repeater that they could buy.
If someone here is layman than that are people around z2m project and not the end users.
As I said in z2m this device is classified as a repeater.
And there is a proof of it

After I bought it and plug it in, a few years ago or so, I realized that this can’t be repeater or something is terribly wrong. But till this day in z2m this is a repeater. People are relaying on documentation and info they get from official channels. If we, the end users, got an information that there is a zigbee repeater why the h* we wouldn’t believe it.
And this is the problem. If I don’t believe in official doc, than I have to do research by myself for every thing I buy, because official channel doesnt provide you correct information.

There is an official standard for ZigBee and that does not have a repeater in it.
It can feel like a little thing and what it might not seem that it does much harm to call it a repeater too, but if that is a call a repeater and you then suddenly hear the word router, then you might think that is the device that connect the Zigbee network to the LAN, which is in fact the coordinator.
Now the confusion is complete. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No @WallyR you want to find a way why this is should be acceptable. But this is not acceptable. Be honest.
I know and I understand that guys around z2m project gave their best to make it best as possible, but this is again not acceptable. From a point of view of end user there is a zigbee repeater than you can buy. Period .

Sorry, but there is a standard for ZigBee.
A repeater is not a part of that standard, so it is therefore not a ZigBee device.
You can also call a whale for a fish if you like, but that does not make it a fish, even though it swims in water and have fins and a tail.

1 Like

I agree with you. But this is not the problem.

What is the problem?
The OP asked for the difference between Zigbee repeaters and Zigbee routers, so the answer is that there is no such thing as a Zigbee repeater.

1 Like