Zigbee technology and Sonoff

About a month ago a friend gifted me this USB dongle from SONOFF for Zigbee devices:
ZNP = Texas Instruments Z-Stack ZNP protocol: CC253x, CC26x2, CC13x2
I plugged it into my “docker” home assistant and it was detected after passing it through. I configured ZHA and was ready to go.

Then I bought two motion sensors for the floor (~3-4m ,1 wall, from the USB dongle):
SONOFF SNZB-03
I paired them and they worked fine, but the signal to the floor was very poor (20-30 LQI). They lost connection, I repaired and repaired, tried zigbee2mqtt instead, spent 2 or more weeks to figure it out. Trying channels 11,20 and 25 while always repairing them from scratch.
Zigbee2MQTT seems to keep them longer connected and working.
The battery reporting is just random on those devices, ranging from 0% to 100% over a day.

Then I bought this ZBMINI to put behind the light at the front door and act as a router (motion sensors are ~2m away behind 1 wall from the router):
SONOFF ZigBee Mini Smart Switch, 2 Way Light Switch
I hooked it up, it was detected by Zigbee2MQTT, set it up and it showed to work as a router (LQI ~120) for at least one of the end device motion sensors (LQI 105). Until I lost all motion sensors again and they stopped reporting after a day or so and finally also the ZBMINI was lost last night.
I now switched back to ZHA, repaired every device again (currently channel 20).

Q: Is SONOFF just not a good company? I thought buying all devices from the same company ensures they work together and they look rather sophisticated in the market.
Q: Is Zigbee with its “Openess” not the right protocol? I looked into Z-Wave, is it a better alternative, seems more controlled? But those are more expensive and I am at a point where I just do not trust these IoT protocols anymore and rather stick to WIFI.

Is your stick plugged directly in your pc, or do you use an extension cable ? Is it plugged into a USB-2 port, or in a USB-3 port ? Makes a lot of difference. Use a extension cable of at least a meter, and an USB-2 port. Your Zigbee network will show a lot of improvement.

2 Likes

Hi Marcus, here is some very useful info about zigbee: Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

If you do a search for those motion sensors (I have a few of them) here on the forum you will know that they are not ‘the best’.
I have a few sonoff wireless buttons and a zigbee coordinator and those work fine.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply!

I had the Dongle in USB 3.1 (red) directly.
Changed now:
I use a USB 1.0 (white, I think this is USB 1.0) extension lead in a USB 2.0 (blue) port.

[    2.048488] usb 1-4: Product: Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus

One of the motion sensors reports LQI 76 directly connected to the controller now (~4m away through the wall).
The other does not have a connection in the visualisation but seems to work anyway.

I’ll see how it goes :wink:
Current: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The top floor sensor is gone again. Ground floor still works. :frowning:

Add more Zigbee Router devices (and preferably a few ”know good” ones) → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

2 Likes

Switched back to zigbee2mqtt.
I turned off 802.11b on the Cisco WLC for 2.4GHz and changed the channel to 25 for Zigbee, joined all again via zigbee2mqtt.
All connected to the controller, the motion sensors with ~30 LQI.

I don’t see where you stated the brand of the battery powered (assumption on my part) motion detector. My bad, I see you are using the SONOFF device, I’ve not worked with this particular SONOFF device, however I have a number of their temperature devices and they have been a mixed bag when it comes to connecting via routers. I have one SONOFF TH01 temperature sensor that has been reporting temp and humidity for 2+ years and has never shown a connection line (either direct or via a router) in my ZHA setup, go figure. I have had good success with the Third Reality battery powered motion detectors. Again sorry for my poor reading of your info. Does the zigbee mapping functions show the motion detector connecting via the install router device or directly back to the controller? While noise on USB cables and connectors and bandwidth fullness can have effects, from my experience far more likely is a end device that does properly connect via a router, or a router that does a poor job. Good hunting!

Yes, I remember one of the sensors worked OK for a while and not showing connected. However the top floor is definitely gone again.

Front Door is the ZBMINI.
I plan on moving the equipment to another part of the house in the future anyway, then see how it works.

It is still the case that Zigbee is not a very reliable protocol and I will not buy any more devices. This is an experience I made so far.

There are many users here that will claim the opposite.

Did you read the information behind the link about zigbee thoroughly?
Until 1 day ago, you made some serious errors against using zigbee, no wonder that your network was not stable.
If you understand how zigbee works and the things you have to be aware of, you might find out that it’s not the technology that fails.

Hope you get to a stable and good solution without much more frustration, I will agree with @Nick4 Zigbee works. My several (too many) Zigbee networks have been solid for years, however I have been battling a WiFi problem for six months. But I am sure I know where the problem is … PEBKAC :wink:

1 Like

This PEBKAC, even worse then zigbee! :grin:

And I stumbled on or read about most issues myself and therefor wrote this based on my research and experinece to make it easier for beginners to get started with the right setup → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

I guess the only solution is to buy more devices.
You need about every 2-3m a router. Across this ~75m3 bubble are now 7 devices (5 routers).

try ikea tradfri repeater :grin:

doesn’t do anything else then routing (and charge your phone if you like) :innocent:

I guess there’s are reason why you highlighted these SNZB-03 motion sensors.
Be aware that they are reported here (also by me) A LOT for bad behavior.

1 Like

I am looking at your network diagram picture, and I will admit my understanding of how to read this information is far from knowledgeable. However, in comparing your diagram to the diagram of my zigbee2mqtt network, your light bulbs that seem all the same type, the ‘Innr’'s all have zero’s on one direction of their ‘routing’ links with other devices. In looking at my diagram, while I do not have any of that brand bulbs, none of my links show a zero value in one of the two directions. As I say, I do not know how to read those value, but it is very different from what I see in all the device on my zigbee2mqtt network…

1 Like

Yes, these were the ones I initially bought and struggled to get a proper connection.
Now, the next day, the other even connected to one of the routers.

This is how I imagined it.

Solution:

1. use USB 2.0 and extension lead.
  2. get more routers.
  3. wait.

The Innr are the cheapest I could find, because I wasn’t sure if they work as a router. BUT, they connected in a split second to zygbee2mqtt, report their firmware version, I can rename the entity all working perfect.
Innr Smart Bulb White B22, Works with Philips Hue*, SmartThings, Alexa & Hey Google (Hub Required), 2700K Warm White, Bayonet, 3-Pack, by 266-3

Have you considered taking a look at IKEA?
I’m very pleased with their lights.

Sharp!
I wonder what the meaning/significance is of those zero’s!