Zigbee2MQTT SRSP - SYS - ping after 6000ms please help :(

Hi All would really apriciate any help you can give me.

I have a fair few Zibbee devices connected through Zigbee2MQTT (end devices and routers) all was great till around a month all 2 ago then it failed with the error-Error while starting zigbee-herdsman/ Error: Failed to connect to the adapter (Error: SRSP - SYS - ping after 6000ms)
I assumed the Zigbee dongle has failed and replaced it. it then worked fine for another month now i have the same issue.
-im running the current version of Zigbee2mqtt 1.21.2-1
-I have given the pi a better power supply
-double checked i have the correct port configuration
-i’ve read all the form posts and documenation (the ones i understood)
I’m at a loss and really don’t know what to do any guidance would welcomed

Zigbee2MQTT log
at ZStackAdapter.start (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/z-stack/adapter/zStackAdapter.ts:102:27)
at Controller.start (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/controller/controller.ts:123:29)
at Zigbee.start (/app/lib/zigbee.ts:63:27)
at Controller.start (/app/lib/controller.js:116:27)
at start (/app/index.js:95:5)
[23:19:07] INFO: Handing over control to Zigbee2mqtt Core …

[email protected] start
node index.js
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:19:41: Error while starting zigbee-herdsman
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:19:41: Failed to start zigbee
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:19:41: Check | Zigbee2MQTT for possible solutions
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:19:41: Exiting…
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:19:42: Error: Failed to connect to the adapter (Error: SRSP - SYS - ping after 6000ms)
at ZStackAdapter.start (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/z-stack/adapter/zStackAdapter.ts:102:27)
at Controller.start (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/controller/controller.ts:123:29)
[23:19:43] INFO: Handing over control to Zigbee2mqtt Core …
[email protected] start
node index.js
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:20:18: Error while starting zigbee-herdsman
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:20:18: Failed to start zigbee
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:20:18: Check | Zigbee2MQTT for possible solutions
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:20:18: Exiting…
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-19 23:20:19: Error: Failed to connect to the adapter (Error: SRSP - SYS - ping after 6000ms)

Zigbee2MQTT configuration

ata_path: /config/zigbee2mqtt
external_converters: []
devices: devices.yaml
groups: groups.yaml
homeassistant: true
permit_join: false
mqtt:
  base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
  user: mqtt
  password: Important
serial:
  port: >-
    /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Texas_Instruments_TI_CC2531_USB_CDC___0X00124B001CDE54C1-if00
advanced:
  log_level: warn
  pan_id: 6754
  channel: 11
  network_key:
  availability_blocklist: []
  availability_passlist: []
device_options: {}
blocklist: []
passlist: []
queue: {}
frontend:
  port: 8099
experimental: {}
socat:
  enabled: false
  master: pty,raw,echo=0,link=/tmp/ttyZ2M,mode=777
  slave: tcp-listen:8485,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
  options: '-d -d'
  log: false

I have found the CC2531 is not sufficiently powerful enough to work with zigbee2mqtt. It specifically says “not recommended” in the supported adapter page for zigbee2mqtt.

https://zigbee2mqtt.io/information/supported_adapters.html

You probably either need to try it with ZHA or upgrade your adapter to one of the more powerful CC2652 based chips, listed in the supported adapter page linked above. I had similar issues that went away when I upgraded to the zzh adapter - https://www.tindie.com/products/electrolama/zzh-cc2652r-multiprotocol-rf-stick/#product-reviews and stopped using the CC2531.

If you are going to try the CC2531 chip, make sure firmware is properly flashed following the instructions in the documentation - https://zigbee2mqtt.io/information/flashing_the_cc2531.html . Try the “source routing” firmware

Thanks @mwav3 I did see that but with the amount of tutarials online for the CC2531 assumed it was alright, i’ve ordered the CC2652R1 fingers crossed this solves it. Thanks very much for your time.

The CC2652R1 has arrived still the same issue, when i plug it in it reconises it so i don’t think there is an issue with the usb ports or drivers. I have no idea whats wrong :frowning_face:

That stinks. What’s your install type for Home Assistant and what kind of machine are you running this on? I’m sure there are some other things to try to get it working.

Also try flashing the stick again. Which specific one did you get?

I’m a moron! i thought it was preflashed even though it clearly says it isn’t :man_facepalming:
I bought the Ekectrolama zzh! I’m trying to follow the instructions to flash it but i can’t get the texas instruments flasher to reconise it. i can see it in device manager as a usb srial device. I don’t know if i have done somting wrong by putting it in the pi first.
I have a raspberry pi 3 B+, running on the SD card with supervisor.

I just flashed it on a windows computer - at least it was good for something for once, lol

I used the TI software - SmartRF Flash Programmer v2

https://electrolama.com/radio-docs/flash-ti-flash-prog/

Update:
Just re-read your post and saw “device manager” so it sounds like you were using a windows computer too. Putting in the Pi first shouldn’t mess up anything. To flash you have to hold that button down while plugging it in like the instructions say, so it won’t flash or mess it up unless you do that.

The worst case is the bsl was messed up with the wrong firmware and then you’ll need an external debugger to flash.

Yes i’m using the same thing now i have actully read the instructions :man_facepalming:
i’m holding the button down inserting it into the the usb port and letting go after 3 or 4 seconds but it’s not apeering in the flash programmer i have tried holding it down for longer, different usb ports nothing. Anything else i plug in on usb appears. i then tried it on another computer it shows up as a connected device but the devices is unknown rather than the name of the chip as i was exspecting so it won’t let me flash it. i’m starting to think i’ve broken it and need the flashing tool :frowning:

I would try emailing their support [email protected]

So life got in the way for a good while there. emailed the support got the firmware on in the end by putting it into another computer. but i am now back to the orginal problem i’ve been toiling over this for weeks and have got no where. I don’t like being defeted by stuff like this but as my bathroom light has now been on for an entire month i must amit defeat and move back to smart things :frowning:

Yes this definitely sounds frustrating, and i was really hoping the new zigbee coordinator would workout. Are your logs still showing the same thing? I’m assuming you updated the settings under serial: port: to reflect the new device ID right?

You can also try incrementing the pan_id to 6755. If you change the pan_id all the zigbee devices will need to be paired again though.

As a last resort, you can still use Home Assistant and keep the zigbee devices on Smartthings using the Smartthings integration to carry them in.

Hi @mwav3
Hope you had a good xmas, I’ve finished throwing my toys out of the pram with this one and coming back into it with a clear head. are you still able to help? :slight_smile:
I gave up on trying to keep my devices and just reinstalled zigbee2mqtt to start again. I’ve reinstalled it (newest version and completed home assistant updates) then added back in my user/password and serial port to the config file. log below is showing one warning (I’m assuming this is somthing to do with the new version?) The web UI opens then loading please wait, but nothing after this. Any ideas or tips where to go next? Really greatful for any assistance recevied Gary.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] socat.sh: executing... 
[15:36:37] INFO: Socat not enabled, marking service as down
[cont-init.d] socat.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] zigbee2mqtt.sh: executing... 
[15:36:39] INFO: MQTT available, fetching server detail ...
[15:36:39] INFO: MQTT server settings not configured, trying to auto-discovering ...
[15:36:40] INFO: Configuring 'mqtt://core-mosquitto:1883' mqtt server
[15:36:40] INFO: Previous config file found, checking backup
[15:36:40] INFO: Creating backup config in '/config/zigbee2mqtt/.configuration.yaml.bk'
[15:36:40] INFO: Adjusting Zigbee2mqtt core yaml config with add-on quirks ...
[cont-init.d] zigbee2mqtt.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[15:36:42] INFO: Handing over control to Zigbee2mqtt Core ...
> [email protected] start
> node index.js
Zigbee2MQTT:warn  2021-12-29 15:36:54: Using experimental new availability feature

Its hard to tell exactly what’s wrong from the logs.

Some suggestions to try and troubleshoot are:
1- Check that the addon is set to the correct serial port for your device
2- Check you have the mqtt mosquitto addon up and running, and configured properly

Additional setup info is here

If still not working, try to enable the advance debug mode and check for additional log entries:

Enabling zigbee debug mode

If you want to troubleshoot in more depth problems with your zigbee devics, sometimes you must enable DEBUG option on Zigbee2mqtt startup. To do this you must set zigbee_herdsman_debug to true.

zigbee_herdsman_debug: true

Based on this line, one other thought is that there is an old incompatible config that the program is finding and trying to restore. You may want to temporarily move that file somewhere else and try and start fresh.

I use zigbee2mqtt in docker so don’t use the addon version, so hopefully if this doesn’t work someone who is more familiar can provide some more info.

Is your ZZH directly plugged into the rpi3 ? If yes, you should put an USB extension between them.

ZZH + RPI4 wasn’t working for me too. Until i put 50cm between the Pi and the ZZH !

1 Like

Thanks Len, I’m using a 0.5m exstension,

So I thought I would just wipe the SD card in my PI and start again, (I regret this already :frowning: ) The only things i have in home assistant now is mosquitto and zigbee2mqtt, and i’m getting the same errors using either on my CC2531 dongals as i was before. i’m getting the Error while starting zigbee-herdsman… I’ve reinstalled the firmware on the Eletrolama CC2652R1. Which starts zigbee2mqtt without any errors in the log, but I am unable to add any devices correctly. I managed to get an Ikea 5 button set to connect but it said the device was unsupported. most devices nothing happends when putting them into pairing mode but a few of them bring up a little red popup in the bottom left saying “Device ‘device name’ left the network”. (i had to screen shot it to read it as it comes and goes so quickly) The only thing i’ve done differenly to the documention is used my main user/password in the config file because as far as i can tell in the new version of home assistant there isn’t a users tab. I can also find one device in the touchlink tab but can’t do anything with it. Does anyone know anything that could help me? i’m just about to pull out my remaining few hairs in frustration :frowning_face:

Update-
So after rocking backwards and forwards in my chair for a couple of hours I tried again with a new device that had never been used before. This worked and after that all the other devices did including the ones that had “Left the network” I don’t know if this because of the new device or just leaving it for a while but all now seems to be working. Thanks so much Tim for taking the time to help I really appreciate it!

1 Like

This solved the problem for me. Zigbee2mqtt installation ok, fail when I permit join - #7 by ofcdduke?

I was struggeling with the same issue and what solved it for me was to disable the Zigbee Home Integration.