ZigNewbee question: what should an IKEA E1743 dimmer switch look like in ZHA?

Hmm… OK, I agree that normally the remote should be used, but the wall switch is still there, and someone who doesn’t know about the smart features will use the wall switch.
Like I said: with Shelly devices this isn’t an issue.
Shouldn’t it be possible somehow for HA or ZHA to sense that the light is switched on by toggling the wall power switch?

At first, I thought you’d ended up with IKEA direct pairing, but on a second reading, the issue seems to be that the manual switch still exists, can be used to turn the bulb on, and if done, the bulb doesn’t report status to Zigbee / HASS.

The only solution to that is a connector block and blanking plate (remove the physical power switch), or as is common with Hue bulbs - get a cover plate with a mount for a RF remote which hides the “real” switch.

There’s several designs for 3D printers on Thingiverse / Printables, but it rather depends on the remote and which region you are in.

Hue specific example for reference:
Printables

[ This is why I use wired-in dimmers connected to the mains wiring and not “stupid” bulbs! ]

I’d go with @FloatingBoater’s approach and put a blanking plate over the existing switch and use a remote switch to control the bulbs. You could even stick the magnetic switch holder that comes with it, to the front of the blanking plate. This is what I intend to do.

That said, I’m in the same situation as you right now, and have a physical switch that can mean HA gets out of sync because you’re shutting off power to the device.

If you want a less permanent solution and need to stop people pressing the physical switch, perhaps go for something like this:-

A third way is to just rewire the switch so that the live is always connected to the load.

Thanks again for these additional insides and suggestions @FloatingBoater , @Rofo and @Hellis81
I will look into these and see which solution fits me best.

The good news is that, since it started working three days ago, the IKEA E1743 switch is working flawlessly.
The only strange thing is that initially the battery status for the E1743 was indicated as 21% but a short while later (without me changing anything) this changed to 100%, which it still is for now.
So this value jumping from 21% to 100% and even 255% in one of the earlier trials strongly suggests that there is an issue in the ZHA code related to the battery status.
Hopefully this will be looked into by the code owners.

Cheers, and thanks for all the help, Ed

1 Like

Or there is an issue with the cheap electronics that can’t read and report a correct value to ZHA.
I don’t know for sure, but I doubt ZHA is responsible for the calculation to percent of the battery.

One of my two switches also reported a very low battery level before jumping up to what appears a more normal level for a new battery, and its been fine ever since.

Sorry for reviving this topic.
My E1743 is switching two of my xiaomy xigbee plugs. I don’t have any type of automation related to the switch or the plugs.
I tried removing them from ZHA, adding back, renaming, etc. Nothing helps.
As soon as I add the E1743 and click the on/off button, both of my plugs (already in ZHA) respond to the clicks.

That sounds like you’ve somehow created a zigbee group with the devices (not a home assistant group which is different).

Could you have done something as described here ?;

I am not using Z2M. And as for groups, I didn’t set up anything like that.

So if they’re not joined via an automation, or a zigbee group, then I would suggest looking in the log to see what gets listed when you click the button on the E1743. Look on either of the plugs device info pages, or the main logbook.

For example, you can see that the last event on this device was triggered by an automation:

That’s one of the problems. It shows nothing, except turn on/off. Same as I would press the button on the plug itself.

I’m not sure what the underlying problem is, but here are a few things to consider:

• If the zigbee switch is turning on with no automation in HA, then it is probably that the remote is directly connected to it. I’ve found IKEA motion detectors tend to pair like that if they are reset near other IKEA devices, at least.
  • When the wall switch is turned on/off, the device will take a few seconds to re-connect to the network and HA should update after a bit. I have dozens of IKEA lights like this and they typically update after 3-5 seconds.
  • However, when the wall switch is turned off, the device loses power and stops being part of the network. This can cause other devices to loose their connection too. For example, we have 14 IKEA GU10 Zigbee bulbs on track lights. When the wall switch is turned off the network loses 14 devices all at once. If there are other Zigbee devices that are using them for the network, they will stop responding for several minutes until they find a new path in the network. (I’ve solved this by using two Zigbee networks: one for devices I want to always be connected such as plugs and remotes, and one for devices that are best-effort such as color-temperature bulbs; works great.)

So, if you have a bunch of devices that are turning off with the wall switch, it may be that this bulb is using them to get to the network and that it takes a while because it loses all of its paths. The best bet in that case is to put a zigbee repeater or plug nearby so it can use that network path as well.

-David

In my case I don’t have anything bound to these devices.
The strangest this is that if I delete one of them (switch or plug) from the ZHA integration, the “link” is broken and the plug is not controlled by the switch anymore.
In this case I loose that specific hardware deleted from the integration, obviously.

Solved. It looks like it was related to a bug in the IKEA firmware. I’ve upgraded the switch with STD OTAU using an ubuntu machine, and the issues are gone.