Zoneminder or Motioneye (it became BlueIris)

I find Windows 10 is a very stable OS, however I think it is a little overblown to run Windows PCs for a single task.

But I installed BlueIris yesterday and it is running like a charm and the best is I get the v5 onyl for buying 1 year of extended support (~30eur) great deal for what they offer.

MQTT support is also a great thing:)

So restarting without warning is good way to run a camera system?

I’ll answer for you: no.

2 Likes

It won’t take too long to spend more than my dedicated NVR at that rate, and that’s just software. You still have to buy the machine to run it on / or at least did once upon a time

I’ve used ZM for years. Its a little quirky but once you get to grips with it it works flawlessly. Plus with the zmeventnotification plugin and zmninja mobile app its great for when your out too. Also the zmevennotification plugin can also utilise AI object recognition such as car, bike, person, cat, dog etc etc. I used that plugged into mqtt and an appdaemon script to rig up virtual pir sensors using the object detection in zoneminder. Great solution.

This is irrational, I paid 60$ years ago and you won’t find any competitor offering what they offer at that price. Now I get the next major release for just 30$, fair deal. Anybody saying something else must be motivated by religion or ideology.

I honestly don’t know what you are talking about but I am able to run a windows system without allowing it to reboot automatically.

It am not a Windows fanboy at all but it is just not true that you can’t run a stable WIn 10 or Win Server system these days. It is the same with Linux: If you do it wrong it will go wrong. And Ithink you need a lot more knowledege to run and maintain Linux than for Windows. Of course the risk that the comfort Windows offers is much higher. Everything thats easier to access is also more prone to be corrupted or become unstable. Bcause you are more likely to do things you shouldn’t. That can be mitigated with knowledge.

However this is not about a religious Linux / Windows fight, I tend to use what suits me best. I am not willing to pay 500$ for a dedicated solution while having spare Core i7 Laptops and a license for a software thats near to pro level (even better than many “pro” tools) lying around. I honestly can’t see any advantage in buying a dedicated NVR in this situation :smiley:

But I don’t want to fight with anyone, I just report about my experiences after trying three HW / SW combinations, so it might help others mak a decision and maybe prevent them from wasting time.

Hi,

I’m also considering all these different solutions and have hesitations about each. Which features and alerts from Blue Iris did you miss when switching? Also, by drag, what were you referring to?

Thanks!

Which NVR do you have? I’m still in the market for one.

Hikvision, 16 channel. I don’t have the model details handy as I’m away for work

1 Like

Hello, anybody has an update about this topic? Which one is more feature-rich? As far as I see both can be integrated into HA. Therefore only the feature richness, stability and useability are the questions.

To me personally, after alot of testing and experimenting Blue Iris is still the best solution if you have some spare hardware or can afford a suitable host system. To m it even beats many commercial high priced options.

Yeah, I thought of that. I designed a NAS that will be also an NVR originally with blue iris in a VM. Then I’ve got a tip (to avoid windows) with motion eye when I’ve checked, I’ve hardly found anything about it, I saw the GitHub page, where there’re hundred of issues opened, every half year around 10 issues are being fixed. The UI options are like a kids toy, I didn’t even saw how it looks like when you look back a video. It’s not really convinced me, but I can’t even test it right now and I don’t want to change the solution after a few day or month. How you solved the windows update nightmare?

1 Like

Yes thats the point, all th other solutions seem to be really half baked, very basic options are missing or totally counter intuitive… I just want it working in good quality, with good detection and be easily able to check records and so on.