action:
    - service: zwave.set_config_parameter
      data:
        node_id: 48
        parameter: 3
        value: 34
    - service: system_log.write
      data:

and randomly, it chimes multiple times when a door is opened. I find a single call to the automation in the logs, as well as my “Chime activated” system_log write, when this happens. Sometimes 1 chime, sometimes 2,3,4,6, and even 10 in a row. If I use Dev Tools to call the service with the parameters listed, it only ever chimes ONCE. Also, if I trigger the automation from the UI, it only ever chimes ONCE. I am sure the door sensors are fully separated, so no chance of them doing a multiple trigger. The fact that it doesn’t exhibit using Dev Tools, seems to eliminate the Device as the problem, and the fact that the automation triggered from the UI doesn’t exhibit, seems to rule out the action part of the automation. So, that leaves the Trigger. Does anybody see an issue with the trigger, or have any clue as to what could be causing this behavior? It’s getting pretty annoying.

try adding to each trigger

Hi Glenn, I have added it to give it a try. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter, based upon similar conversations I’ve had with folks on the Discord servers about whether or not from is required. Here’s hoping it works in this case tho. :wink:

just thought it might be worth a shot :slight_smile:

Yeah, that didn’t work, unfortunately. Problem persists.

same here, along with the random delay, which usually is 2~3s, sometimes it goes further to 10s…Basically this is the only siren that can play custom tune and controlled by home assistant in the market, correct me if I’m wrong(which I really hope so…). It’s so unfortunate that we are suffering from this.

That is no longer the case. The Ecolink ISZW7-ECO Chime+Siren works great! I thoroughly tested it for them back in August with HA. It worked with the older OZW 1.4 integration sufficiently, but with the newer zwave-js integration, it supports the Siren and Sound Switch CCs, both of which work as expected. It also does not suffer from the problem the ZSE19 has of random multiple chimes.

Note, however, that my tests showed the Ecolink Siren is not quite as loud as the ZSE19, although it DID hit the 105 dBA at 1 foot quoted in the specifications (the ZSE is spec’d at 110dBA, which would appear as almost twice as ‘loud’ to us). Both appear to meet their design specs.

I chose to use the Ecolink device as my Chime (which you can add custom sounds to via SD card) and keep my ZSE19 as my siren. Best of both worlds. I’ve heard from Zooz that they may discontinue the ZSE19 at some point.

Another great thing about the Ecolink Chime+Siren is that it is powered, but with a built-in lithium battery backup that last an hour or two. It also reports power disconnections, which means it can be used as a mains power outage monitor. I use it for this as well.

You can find it here. This works like a charm with Home Assistant and the device configuration file is up-to-date in the latest version of zwave-js.

If anyone has any trouble getting the Ecolink device to work in HA, I’d be happy to share my experience and what I found during testing, and how I currently have it set up.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Great! It sounds really promising. I can imagine a powered device is indeed much more stable. Just wonder if you can provide more details, since a firsthand advice in this tinny market is so valuable lol. And also because of that, right now it seems the only way to get it in Canada is to pay the tax and international shipping. So I’d like to know better before jump into it.

1. is there noticeable delay when chime is triggered(assume AC power is on)?
  2. is there noticeable delay or any other issue when chime is triggered(assume AC power is off)?
  3. can we change volume for chime/tone and keep it independent from siren volume?
    Thanks for the help!

is there noticeable delay when chime is triggered(assume AC power is on)?

Not at all, at least not with zwave-js.

is there noticeable delay or any other issue when chime is triggered(assume AC power is off)?

Same, it doesn’t matter. I’ve had it work both with power and without (on battery) and could not tell a difference. ZWave doesn’t care about mains power supply, as long as your hub is up. If the chime is associated with a powered device to trigger the chime, you will have issues, of course, because THAT device will be dead. As long as the battery is still powering the device, it works no differently than a when it is powered. If you have your hub on UPS and somebody cuts the power prior to a break-in, the siren would still sound. :grin:

can we change volume for chime/tone and keep it independent from siren volume?

Yes. Volume of Siren and Chime are separately controllable and, in fact, there is a volume control on the device itself that you can use if desired (or disable for security altogether with ZWave). You can even lower the volume of the siren too, if so desired (something not possible with the ZSE19).

Another thing regarding custom sounds, since you mentioned it. This is all detailed in the manual, but is a bit funky. The SD card must be formatted as FAT (not FAT32 or ex-FAT, but the original). Win10 doesn’t have that option in the context menu for formatting a disk, so you’ll have to do it old skool at the CMD prompt. The wav files also need to be in a rather low bitrate and bit depth (not unusual), but that is all possible in most free sound editing software. I’ve been through it and can confirm it works. I actually copied the chime I was using from the ZSE19 and loaded it on the Ecolink. :wink:

I heard about this device months before it was available and I’m really happy with it. It definitely fills a need for the ZWave community.

@GrizzlyAK I got the device. Tried with manually play the tone in zwave setting, and the chime is instant!
However I cannot make it work in the automation. Can you help me with that? Here is the action part of my automation. Thanks!

device_id: xxx
domain: zwave_js
type: set_value
command_class: 121
property: toneId
endpoint: '0'
value: '1'
wait_for_result: false
property_key: toneId

The error is: Error: extra keys not allowed @ data['domain']

I’m not sure what you are trying to do there, but the following is what I use:

action:
      # Notes on Volume. 121-Default Volume = 112-Volume. Siren.turn_on sounds at LAST volume set by either of these.
      service: siren.turn_on
      entity_id: siren.ecolink_chime_siren
      data:
        tone: '30'

‘30’ is the number of the sound I use, the one I copied from the Zooz ZSE19.

I sent you an email with much more detail.

Yeah thanks!