Zwave Controller Issues After Full Snapshot

Starting after 2022.02 I have had some issues with my ZWave network - the controller looks as though its working. I use Zwavejs2mqtt for management and upon looking at a high frequency reporting device such as an energy meter it shows static (last value) for some time. It took me a while but this appears to be happening just after a full snapshot that I have scheduled to run at 2 AM every other day.

I thought the add-on that ran the backups was the issue, but when I did a manual Full Snapshot it occurred again.

In terms of correction - sometimes I can simply restart zwavejs2mqtt add-on and other times it locks up and requires a pull-plug restart.

I am running Hassio inside of a docker - I know USB can be “finicky” sometimes. I am not sure why the supervisor is trying to disconnect/reconnect USB while doing a snapshot but the zwavejs2mqtt does not appear to like it…

In case anyone else is having the same problem here is my log excerpt: Mar 1 10:40:53 homeassistant kernel: [ 1899.629047] usb 1-1.2.4: USB disconnect - Pastebin.com - I guess for now I can avoid the issue by doing manual snapshots + reboot, but if others have a potential solution would be quite appreciative to get my automated backups back!

Can you see if disabling the Soft Reset function within the Z-WaveJS2MQTT helps? It can be found within the Z-WaveJS2MQTT webinterface under Settings > Z-Wave > Soft Reset.

Rick, Thanks! I did in fact see this solution in another post and disabled it but it occurred afterwards. This seems to be directly connected somehow to whatever Hassio does during the backup process. Its hard to reproduce but I am a bit surprised I am not seeing more of this as I think the key factors are: 1) Hassio inside of docker, 2) Zwavejs 2 MQTT (Not sure if this happens with vanilla ZWJS) and 3) Full/Partial backups. The latter being the triggering element - and perhaps there are not many out there that maintain backups as I do (?)

I do know docker containers do not take kindly to USB removals while in use (due to the soft reset topic you brought up) I am just concerned there is an element triggering that feature. I am going to disable automated backups for a bit and see.

I have same disconnection issue.

You may have seen this warning when doing a soft reset:

USB modules will reconnect, meaning that they might get a new address. Make sure to configure your device address in a way that prevents it from changing, e.g. by using /dev/serial/by-id/... on Linux.

This method may cause problems in Docker containers with certain Z-Wave stick. If that happens, you may need to restart your host OS and docker container.

How can the suggest path to the USB be determined?

I’ve actually never performed a soft reset on a z-wave controller - I usually just rebooted to be honest…so I am not familiar with that message - its a bit confusing (is “this method” the device naming or soft reset…?)

Anyway I did find a thread here that goes over this a bit: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/persistant-usb-names/31500

You should be able to find the ACM0 (or similar) linkage by using this command in terminal:

ls -al /dev/serial/by-id

I will give this a try, but I’m not too hopeful this problem only started recently and these are from 2019/2020 - I would have thought this was deprecated by this point and able to use the tty device name. Or maybe this just helps the zwave subsystem “survive” the momentary disruption.

1 Like

The path a tried is:

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_Zooz_ZST10 700_Z-Wave_Stick_0001-if00-port0

It didn’t find the stick. Is this incorrect?

Sadly, this method did not help me. Core did a REMOVE/ADD for the usb during the scheduled backup again recreating the issue I am having.

If you want to find the right path you could just go to:

cd /dev/serial/by-id
ls -al
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Mar  7 02:01 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Mar  7 02:01 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar  7 02:01 usb-0658_0200-if00 -> ../../ttyACM0

It should be symlinked to the actual device…this is mine, but again this didn’t the solution at least for me. So back to the drawing board.

This has a non-breaking space character in the name, so you might have difficulty getting the add-on to accept it.