ZWave Device shows 10 Entity Types - only 1 needed to show- best way to hide?

I bought 17 ZWave window/door sensors for the house. Once added and renamed it shows up in HomeAssistant with 10 different entity types, with only 1 of those entity types I want to use. What is the best way to hide the entity types that are not necessary. Please see image below (Only 2 ZWave Devices):

I had the same problem and the only way I could think of to get around it was to create a hidden group of the unwanted entities:

zwave_group:
    view: no
    entities:
      - sensor.fibaro_system_fgk10x_door_opening_sensor_access_control_3_9
      - sensor.fibaro_system_fgk10x_door_opening_sensor_alarm_level_3_1
      - sensor...

Any non-grouped entities will show up like your example so I figured the only solution was to group them and hide the group.

BTW, how do one rename z-wave sensors like you did here? I tried various ways but never got it to work…

1 Like

In the configuration.yaml I do this.

customize:
   light.fibaro_system_fgd212_dimmer_2_level_11_0:
    friendly_name: Bathroom
    emulated_hue: true

And it shows up as “Bathroom” in the webgui. I still need to call the entity name in scripts and automations and likes.

Thanks, I was hoping there was a way to rename devices on a “higher level” so to speak, i.e. renaming a sensor once and have all sub-entities renamed automatically (instead of renaming every single entity).

“Replace all”? :wink:

Can’t you use https://home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/customizing-devices/ for renaming stuff?

I am with @bonterra here - anyway to rename all sub-entities once.

@bonterra

I followed this Aeon Labs Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor

The only addition that I’ll add is that I changed permission (CHMOD) to 777 on the zwcfg.

this from @jbardi
"Z-Wave is very finicky, but the proper way to add new devices is as follows:

Make sure HASS is shutdown so that it is not using the z-wave controller
Install open-zwave-control-panel
Make a symlink to the zwcfg file inside of home-assisstant, so that all changes will persist between the two interfaces. Make sure HASS’s copy is the source, so open-zwave will be using a link to the one in the HASS folder. This way your zwcfg file can be backed up with your .homeassistant folder and you won’t lose all of your device references if you move to another machine or have to start over.
Setup the new device in open-zwave
Wait for open-zwave to fully query the device to pull all the information about it so that it assigns the correct device into the zwcfg file
Assign a name to your new z-wave device in open-zwave (like Living Room Window)… when it is fully accessd by HASS, it will use that name with the node number attached, so you will get something like sensor.living_room_window_7. Do not add the word sensor or switch or whatever to the name in open_zwave, otherwise it will be called sensor.living_room_window_sensor_7
Click the close button in open-zwave to detach it from the z-wave controller and shutdown open-zwave
Start HASS and wait for it to fully boot up.
The first time HASS starts up with a new z-wave device, it will be labeled something like sensor.sensor__7 or something like that. Do not use that reference in your automations. This is a temporary name. I find that if I wait a few minutes and then restart HASS again, on the next startup, the sensor.sensor__7 device will now read as sensor.living_room_window_7, and that is the permanent name you want to start using in your scripts and automations.
If after a restart it still shows the temporary name, wait a bit longer, and restart again… rinse and repeat the restarting of HASS, eventually it will reference the name you assigned it in open-zwave
FYI, you don’t have to go through these steps, top to bottom, for each device you have on hand, as you can do multiple devices at once. If you have multiple devices already purchased and in hand, add them all in open-zwave one after the other, giving them all names, so you only have to restart HASS the once and hopefully HASS will start pulling them all in simultaneously. Then just go through the process again for any new devices."

There is discussion about giving zwave entities aliases: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/7089

Thanks for the description, I’ll give it a try next time I add a z-wave device.

create your own custom views, then you decide exactly what is shown, plus create more view windows etc for different rooms etc

Did anyone figure out how to remove entities that don’t matter in HA? So they don’t show up in entities in the web UI.

The technique described by @ZStanard above is now available in HASS >0.45 through the built-in Z-wave panel without having to install OZWCP. Very handy!

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to hide entities other than view: no for grouped entities or hidden: true for individual entities.