Zwave door sensor not updating the frontend

LOL - within seconds of each other. Ben better buy us a round!

2 Likes

I tried to have OZWCP working.
but i got stuck. I am running HA on a docker container, in a synology NAS.
I stop the HA, create a container for OZWCP, but i cant connect to the USBStick, i got an error, cant recall exactly but is the device not found one, even if the docker command was correct, and once i got into the container bash i can find the device there… very weird…
i tried the second route… use domoticz (also under docker)… there i can connect to the stick, i can play with the configs… BUT… it doesnt allow me to save (the button seems broken).
I am in the process to isntall a linux VM on my main PC to try to fix that…

Also, i assume that once i got all configured, i should copy/paste the config files to HA, correct?

if you have any other idea, i am looking forward :slight_smile:

thanks again!

Luis

In my experience binary_sensor only works with either on or off. Because these sensors have a value then you won’t be able to use the binary_sensor component. A way around this is that you put the recessed sensor in the sensor component. Set the outputs to either on or off and then set a new binary_sensor component which will display the output correctly. Not sure if i explained this in a clear fashion. Here is an example.

sensor:
platform: template
sensors:
door:
friendly_name: ‘door’
value_template: >-
{% if is_state(“sensor.aeotec_zw089_recessed_door_sensor_gen5_sensor_9”, “0”) %}
off
{% elif is_state(“sensor.aeotec_zw089_recessed_door_sensor_gen5_sensor_9”, “255”) %}
on
{% endif %}

binary_sensor:

• platform: template
    door_binary:
    movement:
    value_template: “{{ states.sensor_door.state == ‘on’ }}”
    sensor_class: opening

Correct - make sure to save in OZWCP after edits.

In fact I use a symbolic link so OZWCP shares the same file as HA.

Hi Maaniac,

It doesnt work.
I dont think the problem is the code itself, but something not triggering in the frontend.
after the config you provide i got:

and the 3 arrows are the same real sensor (the recessed door), but it never changes states in the front end.
however, in the OZW_Log.txt capture the changes, as below:

so that is why i have the impression that the front end doesnt capture the state change.
My impression is that the front end just see the sensor “turned on - awake” or “turned off - sleep”, but not the open/close with the magnet (which i can see on the logs).
So i have the impression that i am “monitoring” the wrong variable (or state) in the frontend.

any ideas?

thanks

Luis

1 Like

How is your zwave configured in both OZW and HASS? Maybe change the polling intensity? I don’t personally have these sensors so I can’t be 100% sure but my linear door sensors have no problems within HASS.

Does your door_binary change at all?

it never changed in HASS.
when i am in OZWCP i see the change state there.
but not in HASS. in the states windows i always get:

the state is ALWAYS ON.
since this (and the multi sensor6) are my first sensors, I could swear that the state was telling me that teh sensor was ON, and not the situation on the (OPEN/CLOSE) status.
but again, on the OZW_Logs.txt i see things changing, so that is why i believe the sensor is working fine.

In OZW can you change basic report to binary sensor?

hello again.
I dont see any option to change from normal to binary (or something to binary) in OZWCP.

I create a new code:

door:
    friendly_name: 'door'
    value_template: >-
      {% if is_state("binary_sensor.aeotec_zw089_recessed_door_sensor_gen5_sensor_12", "0") %}
      fechada
      {% elif is_state("binary_sensor.aeotec_zw089_recessed_door_sensor_gen5_sensor_12", "255") %}
      aberta
      {% else %}
      {{ states('binary_sensor.aeotec_zw089_recessed_door_sensor_gen5_sensor_12') }}
      {% endif %}

hoping to see what the %else% would return. and again, it always return ON.
is there a way I can see the list of attributes from a sensor? i have the real feeling that i am “picking” the wrong parameter here (as so is HASS on the default setup).

FIXED!

thank you all. you pointed in the right direction. the problem was the reporting flag. it was set originally on 0X100 (256) and it should be changed to 0x10 (16).
although it was mentioned that it was the “binary” sensor (it was flagged was report only). I found the solution from another forum and it worked!

Special thanks to Maaniac and aimc!

Luis

5 Likes

luismoed,

I have the exact same sensor, but for some reason I can’t get it to show up in HA. I see it perfectly in OZWCP, just not in HA at all.

What configuration changes did you need to make to either HA or the door sensor configuration in order to get it showing up in HA?

sry for the delay, i was in holidays and didnt check the mail/forum.
do you still have the issue?
In my case, HA recognize it straight away, i have not change anything in HA. do you have other Z-wave sensors working for you? or is this the 1st one?

Yes, I solved the issue. I copied the zwcfg_xxx.xml file from OZWCP to the .homeassistant directory. Once I did that, all started working correctly.

Luis, I was following until here – I have the same problem as you had. In the zwcfg file in .homeassistant, I have this under the section for the door sensor:

<Value type="list" genre="config" instance="1" index="121" label="Report Type" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" vindex="1" size="4">
	<Help>Configure which sensor report will be sent when the sensor is Opened/Closed</Help>
	<Item label="Disabled" value="0" />
	<Item label="Basic Set" value="256" />
	<Item label="Sensor Binary Report" value="16" />
	<Item label="Basic Set and Sensor Binary Report" value="272" />
</Value>

Is this where I should change the value from 256 to 16? If so, I did this and did not see a difference yet… I see this after updating the config:

Node014, Refreshed Value: old value=0, new value=255, type=byte

I always change these settings in the OpenZwave control panel (close HASS first!). Change it in the OZWCP interface, then wake up the sensor device (often by pressing a button), see it change in the interface and save (top right). It needs to be a binary sensor report. For some sensors this is an explicit choice in the open zwave device menu, somethimes it is less clear. Googling for the device helps as other software (like Domoticz) also use Open Zwave.

With the All in one installer the OZWCP and HASS are kept in sync automatically.

The good news is, I now am able to change the setting in OZWCP (did not have the right .cfg file there). The bad news is, I am unable to SAVE this configuration. When I change Report Type from “Basic Set” to “Sensor Binary Report”, as soon as I activate the sensor by touching the magnet to it, it changes back to Basic Set. “Lock/Unlock Configuration” is set to unlock.

Here is the output when changing the setting, in the terminal:

post: key=14-CONFIGURATION-config-list-1-121 data=Sensor Binary Report size=20
2016-10-10 02:24:55.309 Info, Node014, Value::Set - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION - Report Type - 121 - 1 - Sensor Binary Report
2016-10-10 02:24:55.309 Info, Node014, Configuration::Set - Parameter=121, Value=16 Size=4
2016-10-10 02:24:55.309 Detail, Node014, Setting Encryption Flag on Message For Command Class COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION
2016-10-10 02:24:55.309 Detail, 
2016-10-10 02:24:55.309 Detail, Node014, Queuing (WakeUp) ConfigurationCmd_Set     (Node=14): 0x01, 0x0f, 0x00, 0x13, 0x0e, 0x08, 0x70, 0x04, 0x79, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10, 0x25, 0x48, 0x91
2016-10-10 02:24:55.309 Detail, Node014, Setting Encryption Flag on Message For Command Class COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION
2016-10-10 02:24:55.309 Detail, 
2016-10-10 02:24:55.309 Detail, Node014, Queuing (WakeUp) ConfigurationCmd_Get (Node=14): 0x01, 0x0a, 0x00, 0x13, 0x0e, 0x03, 0x70, 0x05, 0x79, 0x25, 0x49, 0x8b
post: key=14-CONFIGURATION-config-list-1-121 data= size=0

It seems to work, and then … the settings revert when I actually activate the device. Any ideas?

Just waking up with the magnet is not enough. I had similar issue yesterday with two different door sensors and I had to press the button on the device.

Hi Josh,

the sensor must be “online” when you apply/save the settings.
make sure that the OZWCP can see the sensor as active. after that , save everything ans copy the file to HASS config (either you save direct on HASS file or you need to manually update the HASS file).

Luis

Thanks @Tyfoon and @luismoed – I needed to press the button on the recessed door sensor to make the state change to “Active” on ozwcp, and after I did I changed the setting and saved, and it works! Just put in a new z-wave switch on a closet door and using the sensor to automatically turn on/off the light when the door is open/closed. Thanks for the help guys.

1 Like

np. Not all sensors behave like this by the way. I have about 6 different types of door sensors and only two of them needed to be changed this way. By the way, these two still do not report any battery status.