Zwave frustrations

Is the stored data in ST about a given z-wave device migratable, or is it based on randomly generated keys upon re-pairing?
I have over 100 devices I’m hoping to migrate from ST to HA. Daunting task.

That little tip just solved an issue I’ve been fighting with for a day.

2 Likes

:exploding_head: It’s such a common resolution, the USB extension … about time the manufacturers started including one in the box with each new stick!

Agreed. As I mentioned, I fought with it for a day until I came across that morsel of knowledge. I’m sure like many, my network closet is in the corner of my basement, which is the worst place for Z-wave. It worked fine for the most part with my Vera Plus for the past 5 years, but as soon as i switched to a Z-Wave stick, RPI, and HA, the location was no longer ideal.

I had added at 3 foot extension, and it helped, but I still had a few hickups. I added another 6 foot extension to mine, and everything behaved well. I would say 3’ is the bare minimum, but more is better. I ended up ordering a 25’ extension from Amazon, and I put it as close to dead center on my basement ceiling, routed away from as much duct work, power lines, or anything else I though might cause interferences. I sliced up a custom wall mount holder for the USB extension and 3D printed it, and mounted it to the ceiling. I did a network heal, going around and waking up any battery powered devices that wouldn’t cooperate, and now my mesh was set for the new location. Everything is working perfect now!

1 Like

I migrated two weeks ago from Vera Plus, and I had 73 devices. Migrating the devices wasn’t as bad as migrating rules/automation.

Agreed, migrating ended up taking a weekend. Still working on automations.