ZWave-JS not working after a clean install/restore

A couple of days ago, I updated my HA OS to 6.6 via the UI. After that, my installation would not boot anymore. I tried many attempts to boot and it just wouldn’t go. I decided I was left with no choice but to start with a clean install of HA and to restore from my latest snapshot. Since I had to do that, I decided to upgrade to a Pi V4 with 2 GB Ram (was a Pi 3B). I’m using an SSD, so I followed all the instructions for that, and I got HA back up and running. There was an issue with the Mariadb add-on, with a corrupted db and I ended up having to export the data, uninstall/re-install the add on, then re-import the data.

All that’s behind me now and HA is working fine, mostly, except my Z-Wave-js is not working. Seems to be configured properly, but the HA integration complains that it cannot connect to host core-zwave-js on port 3000. From my ssh terminal, I can ping that hostname and it works. I’ve now tried removing the integration, uninstalling the add-on, then re-installing the add-on, but it’s the same. I can’t even add the integration now because of the failure to connect. I’ve added in the proper network key that it was using before the whole debacle started.

I’m running HA 2021.11.5 and Z-Wave JS 0.1.49

I’ve set my ZWJS add-on to debug logging and this is what I get when the add-on is started:

[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] config.sh: executing... 
[13:03:37] INFO: Both 'network_key' and 's0_legacy_key' are set and match. All ok.
[13:03:40] INFO: Virtual Machine not detected, enabling soft-reset
[cont-init.d] config.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] structure.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] structure.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[13:03:42] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
2021-12-03T21:03:47.950Z DRIVER   ███████╗ ██╗    ██╗  █████╗  ██╗   ██╗ ███████╗             ██╗ ███████╗
                                  ╚══███╔╝ ██║    ██║ ██╔══██╗ ██║   ██║ ██╔════╝             ██║ ██╔════╝
                                    ███╔╝  ██║ █╗ ██║ ███████║ ██║   ██║ █████╗   █████╗      ██║ ███████╗
                                   ███╔╝   ██║███╗██║ ██╔══██║ ╚██╗ ██╔╝ ██╔══╝   ╚════╝ ██   ██║ ╚════██║
                                  ███████╗ ╚███╔███╔╝ ██║  ██║  ╚████╔╝  ███████╗        ╚█████╔╝ ███████║
                                  ╚══════╝  ╚══╝╚══╝  ╚═╝  ╚═╝   ╚═══╝   ╚══════╝         ╚════╝  ╚══════╝
2021-12-03T21:03:47.960Z DRIVER   version 8.7.7
2021-12-03T21:03:47.962Z DRIVER   
2021-12-03T21:03:47.962Z DRIVER   starting driver...
2021-12-03T21:03:48.012Z DRIVER   opening serial port /dev/ttyAMA0
2021-12-03T21:03:48.053Z DRIVER   serial port opened
2021-12-03T21:03:48.056Z SERIAL » [NAK]                                                                   (0x15)

I’ve restored my backup from early this AM that was before I deleted the ZWJS integration so I can post the info from the HA log file which is the same message I see on the integrations page.

2021-12-03 13:48:43 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry 'Z-Wave JS' for zwave_js integration not ready yet: Cannot connect to host core-zwave-js:3000 ssl:default [Connect call failed ('172.30.33.2', 3000)]; Retrying in background

From my SSH terminal, I can ping core-zwave-js:

➜  2021-1203 ping core-zwave-js
PING core-zwave-js (172.30.33.2): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 172.30.33.2: seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.224 ms
64 bytes from 172.30.33.2: seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.239 ms
64 bytes from 172.30.33.2: seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.231 ms

I’m using a Aeon ZStick Gen5. The stick is flashing colors as it always does. The stick is on /dev/ttyAMA0 and I don’t have a “by-id” link. In the HA system info it shows:

I have both the SSD and the ZStick plugged into USB2 ports on the Pi.

So, now I’m stumped. It seems like it can’t talk to the stick, but I don’t know why. Any help would be appreciated.

Might be related to this known issue. Try connecting your Zwave stick to a powered USB hub.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=245031

1 Like

/dev/ttyAMA0 is never a valid path for a USB controller. For the RPi that’s the UART.

@PecosKidd has the right answer. The Gen5 stick does not work the the RPI4, it’s a known hardware problem . Your choices are to either connect it to a USB hub or replace it with a different stick.

1 Like

Thanks all. I have it plugged into a USB hub for now and it’s working. It seemed a little flaky getting going, but it’s survived a core restart. Not sure what will happen if I try and do a host restart, but we’ll see. If people are handy with a soldering iron, there’s another thread HERE where the OP has a fix for the older ZStick Gen5 sticks so you can plug it directly into the pi4 again. I may try that if the USB hub method proves to be unreliable like a lot of users report.