ZWave JS to ZWaveJSMQTT

Yes, I haven’t touched my zwavejs2mqtt since I set it up. zero problems, multiple upgrades, ~100ish nodes. Set it up January 2021.

I do

Yes. My zwave network is the only part of my entire home automation setup that I would really consider 100% stable without any upkeep or occasional tinkering and which I can blindly rely on. If home automation was purely about reliability (rather than fun of tinkering around), zwave is the only thing I would keep.

Using zwavejs2mqtt (but without the HA zwavejs integration).

1 Like

Just when I thought I couldn’t be any more confused by the architecture of Zwave in HA.

How is it possible to do anything without an integration? Isn’t that the part that creates the devices and entities?

Over MQTT (everything in my home is over MQTT). My HA doesn’t even know the zwave network exists, everything zwave is exclusively managed by zwavejs2mqtt. I create the entities manually as MQTT entities in configuration.yaml.

I do not recommend this method if you’re not a technical user, it’s considerably more complex to set up.

I suggest you take a look at the overview. It’s much simpler than people make it out to be.

I just update the overview to hopefully shed more light onto the situation.

Link? Don’t make us hunt for it.

Look 1 post above my last one…

I looked at the overview. I get it, sort of. I don’t know anything about what’s going on at driver level; but apparently, reloading the add-on (driver and server) causes the controller stick to do something that brings back my offline device(s). And if that’s the case I agree that changing add-ons would not be expected to help this problem, and it may be that it’s sudden occurrence after moving to ZWaveJSMQTT is just coincidence.

Of course none of that helps with my problem of devices becoming unavailable.

I’m forming a theory that my problems revolve around Leviton devices - they seem to be the ones becoming unavailable. I’m not certain of this, but getting there. The other devices seem solid.

Which zwave stick are you using again?
There was a known issue with the 700 series sticks and a firmware update was released.

It’s a Zooz 700. I know there was a problem, I suppose I could get a new firmware from Zooz, but to install it I’d have to move the stick to a PC and use their software. And I’m afraid that if I did that, I’d lose the whole network and have to rebuild from scratch - resetting and re-including every device. I just know it.

make a backup of your stick and a backup of your cache.

Then recall both if you have to after you update the firmware.

EDIT: NVM backup and restore will take a long time if you have a large network.

I completed the firmware upgrade in place without moving my stick to another machine, it’s totally doable in linux.

EDIT: Also didn’t loose my nodes, they’re all intact.

What do you use in Linux?

Can I do it from Home Assistant OS? I thought HAOS was a bit permission-limited.

minicom here’s a nice walkthru to do the deed.

I don’t know if you can do that with HAOS, I’m sure there’s someway to get true SSH access but as I don’t use HAOS I couldn’t tell you.

Yes. I have 22 devices (so not a huge amount) but they are all either mains powered or powered via USB. The network is super stable other than a couple of very old devices which need a reboot every few months. I’m using plain Z-Wave JS.

Plain Zwave JS, 3 power outlets, 15 multisensors, 10 door/window sensors, 1 Z-uno based relay board.

Stable and superfast, never misses a trigger, never any delay. Only had problems in the past with migration / updates on Zwave integration.

I’m very happy with my choice for Zwave.

And this morning, another device is offline. Again, it’s Leviton. And again, re-starting the ZWaveJSMQTT add-on brought it right back.

If my problems do turn out to be with Leviton devices, I guess that would be good news, and bad.
If this problem is in the Leviton firmware, and the device is taking itself offline, why does re-starting the add-on bring it back?

I have the log file, but I must be blind, as I can’t see any way to attach a file to a post here3.

My man, I’ve said this multiple times and it seems you keep ignoring me. Can you PLEASE post logs. Please please please please. This will help us figure out what’s happening. Next time it happens, download the logs from ZwaveJS2MQTT and share them. Use HA to let us know roughly what time they went unavailable.

Click the store.
Click the gear.
Click the download button.
The zip file will contain todays ZwaveJS2MQTT log and ZwaveJS log.