Zwave migration to Zwave.JS/Zwave2MQTT

It sounds like you should be able to download the whole text area for the log in the integration. It only captures after it starts listening, though, so you need to open two windows. It needs to be already listening when you start the interview.

@blhoward2, got the log done and the ticket opened in Github. Ticket #3273.

I am also having a problem with a thermostat. In the UI it shows the current_temperature in Celsius. I am in the US and need Fahrenheit. I have gone through all the setup on the physical thermostat and designated the units on it to be Fahrenheit. I have also gone through the configuration on the device in Zwave JS and designated Fahrenheit. All other numbers (set points) are displayed in Fahrenheit with the expetion of this one. See the following:

And then see the following:

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Chuck

I saw and commented. That’s outside my specialty as it’s on the HA side. I’m sure someone will be along, or you can come onto the zwave channel on the HA discord channel for more live assistance.

As for general knowledge here is how to capture a Zwave JS Log.

1.) open two browser windows. Navigate to “Configuration” in both:

2.) Click on “Integrations” on both and find the Zwave JS integration, click on configure in both.

Integrations_Screen

3.) In one of your windows click on the tab at the top that says “Logs”

4.) Set your Log Level and in a few seconds you will see the message "Subscrived to Z-Wave JS Log Messages… Navigate to your other window after this.

Zwave_JS_Logs_Screen

5.) In your other window you should be here:

6.) Click on devices, you will get a list of your devices. Find the device you want to work with/troubleshoot and click on it. You should get a screen that shows the following:

Zwave_JS_Device_Configuration_Screen

7.) Click on whichever choice you need, let it do its thing and when it completes switch back to your other window that had the log capture screen.

Zwave_JS_Logs_Screen

8.) Now your log will have been captured and you will see data in the bottom window. Underneath the drop down where you set the log level you will see an and underlined arrow that points down. Click this and it will download the log to your computer.

Now you can read it, post it on git hub as a new issue if necessary, email it to a friend, what ever.

Hope this is useful to someone as I had to search around for it until I figured it out.

Regards

Chuck

It looks like the device emits a NIF instead of just calling in it’s new state. The problem is, we only refresh on NIFs for non-zwave plus devices as those aren’t supposed to work that way.

1 Like

@blhoward2, Thanks for your help. I have been watching with interest the posts on github.

Time for my stupid question of the day:

What is a NIF? What does NIF stand for?

I guess that’s two questions :grinning:

Thanks
Chuck

A node information frame. Sort of a dumb, context-less message that means nothing other than that the device wants the controller’s attention.

Thanks for the info. I was reading the github issue and it looks like you’ll be able to get the status to update with a PR. That’s great news and I think will help a lot of people with these switches.

So basically it looks like the switch says to the controller “i did something” which can trigger a poll so the controller can ask the switch for more info - ie “what did you do?”. That’s much better then constant polling.

I also saw the switch reports its a zwave plus, but definitely doesn’t behave like one. From what I’ve seen these older Jasco switches were notorious for things like that- reporting features they didn’t have, not reporting features they do have, and “hidden” unofficial config parameters. I don’t know if these are in between models, using a mix of chips/parts, bad firmware, etc. I’ve never heard of firmware updates for them and I think Jasco does this on purpose. Their “solution” usually is “buy a new switch”. It really complicates dealing with them.

I believe this. I emailed Jasco support 3 days ago (I think) and have yet to receive even an acknowledgement from them let alone a proposed solution.

Trane is the same as I mentioned in a previous post. No phone support, no email support, no web chat support. When I called they said the only thing they could do was to refer me to an authorized installer. On the call she mentioned a regional Trane support person that was an available resource to installers. She refused to give this persons contact info. Very frustrating. I don’t understand how they can sell a hardware product with embedded software and not provide some sort of direct factory end user support. But that is me just ranting.

I am very appreciative of the support I have received from the folks on this forum, yourself included @mwav3 Tim and @blhoward2 .

Regards

Chuck

This sounds very much like what I am wanting to do. I am on HS4 (4.27.00) running on a Windows 7 laptop. I have the HomeSeer ZWave SmartStick+ . I have already removed all devices (Excluded from Zwave) in HomeSeer (with the exception to the last 2 (a Schlage Lock and a Jasco Dimmer plug) that I am still using until I am ready to take the dive over to HA. My questions are:

1. Will this ZWave SmartStick+ work in HA? What I am reading indicates yes.

2. How would I install it in HA?

3. HA will be installed to an HP t620 ThinClient (once I figure it out) using the x86 install method) - what I have been reading, this is preferred to running “on Windows”???

Looks like I am going to have a learning curve from HS4 to HA…but from what I have been reading, I am going to be happier.

Curtis

I use the Homeseer Smartstick+ on my system. It has worked for over a year. As with HS, you need a usb extension cable to get it away from the computer to minimize interference.

Very similar to HS. When you install HA you will need integration Z-Wave js. This is where you configure. If you are new to Linux the hardest part is getting USB to talk to the Virtual Machine and knowing the address. The thin client may be a bit thin (pun intended). More the disk space than anything else. Can you get a 160 gb ssd and boot from it with the ThinClient?

The learning curve is steep. It will frustrate you at times. The forum is great. The moderators are active and there are some really smart people who frequent the forum. If you can stand the initial start up pain you will never look back.

The HP ThinClient has 16GB RAM, and a 128GB m.2 SATA boot drive which I am using to boot it to Windows 10 at the moment.

I am trying to figure out how to build installation USB - as everything points to Etcher…is there no way to build installation USB from a Windows box?

Curtis

You can boot to a live cd and write the disk image directly to the hard disk.

It’s talked about here.

@AllHailJ

I followed those steps - I used RUFUS to create a bootable USB on a Windows workstation. I can boot the HP t620 ThinClient (this is like an INTEL NUC)…and I set the BIOS just like the instructions.

System boots from the USB with no problems - but I do not get a prompt to INSTALL to the local m.2 SATA drive…it takes about 10-15 minutes to get all the way to the end of the boot – and the screens shows the following:

[WARN] Home Assistant CLI is not running! Jump into emergency console…

and just sits there with a Flashing Cursor - I never see any menu – or option to INSTALL the local m.2 drive. So I am pretty sure it is not installed…as if I shut down the t620 and remove the USB boot device I built, and power on…it boots to the Windows 10 which was installed the m.2 drive.

I am not a LINUX person - but something must be done (I am sure) to get the software to INSTALL - not just run (booted from USB drive).

I got it working…I had to boot the HP t620 with a Ubuntu 20.04 LIVE CD - then run it in Trial Mode – I was able to use GPARTED to get rid of the Windows 10 stuff from the internal 128GB m.2 SSD.

I then used Balena Etcher to push the GENERIC X86-64 image to the m.2 SSD. Once completed. I Shut Down Ubuntu - took out the LIVE DVD - and rebooted the HP t620 - watched as it booted up to text image of HomeAssistant and URL information.

Went to another computer and was able to complete setup.

Now to figure out how to get the ZWave stuff going – it detected a bunch of stuff already on my network. I would also like to get the WiFi working in this HP t620 - do not want to be limited to WIRED connection for HA.

Curtis

Hi bearhntr, I wonder if you could help me out. I have the same HP T620 and got stuck when installing Ubuntu from usb. I get a black screen when select ‘Try or install Ubuntu’ or 'Ubuntu (safe graphics). Did you also encouter this issue and if yes, how did you fix it?

I ‘have’ installed Ubuntu on these machines (I have 2 - a T620 and a T620+). I made an Ubuntu LIVE USB from the 20.04 download…and I first boot into LIVE mode (trial) and make sure that things work. Then I reboot and do the INSTALL.

The key thing that I found for any LINUX installation is disabling SECURE BOOT in the BIOS - and make sure you create a UEFI supported USB (if you disable LEGACY DEVICES in the BIOS and it does not boot - your USB is not created as UEFI).

HA installation is not supported under UBUNTU as I recall. Perhaps containers are, but everything I have seen is Debian.