Zwave network key

Hi all,

I was migrating from zwave to zwave-js and realized that my ‘network_key’ is set to null. Is there a way to set the key and make all the device work without rejoining them to the network? Or I do have configure everything from scratch?

I did this once in one of my previous Z-Wave installs.
I remember reading that it would force all of my devices to rejoin, but all non-secure devices were fine.
YMMV, don’t hold me to it.
Make snapshots and try it out.

Do you have any securely joined devices? I know when using zwavejs2mqtt as the control panel there is a button to randomly generate a new key.

I’m pretty sure that if the previous key was “null” then there would be no way to securely pair any devices. :man_shrugging:

So the likely answer is ‘no’ unless I’m mistaken on that.

But doesn’t the new zwavejs server (or add-on?) automatically generate a key if you don’t? I thought I remember seeing that somewhere because a lot of people had keys they didn’t know they had.

1 Like

Follow the guide first.

Yes.

I think when that incident happened I added my lock after I added the key.
It said it was secure.
I’ve since moved to hubs then back to the new add-on.

Thanks all for your replies, I had some secure devices but they were joinned in ‘insecure’ mode. I take some time to migrate to zwavejs and reconfigure everything from scratch (I’ve just 6 zwave obects), so now I’ve set a network_key, paired back all the old devices and everything is working. :slight_smile:

2 Likes