Zwave Node Management not working (or I dont know what I'm doing)

Just started adding zwave devices. I’m running Home Assistant 67.0 on Ubuntu 17.10. I’ve added on Actiontec metering plug, and two GE Zwave dimmers (older model 12724). They’ve added but I’ve been unable to access any of the configuration data via the gui. Also the ozw log never comes up through the gui. Just sets there saying loading ozw log.

When I try to make to look at a device. Let’s use the dimmer for example. If I click on node group associations, node config options, node values, nothing happens, nothing comes up for any of my devices. I looked in the zwave config file (xml), and it looks like there should be options available. Is it permissions? something wrong? Maybe I’m just not doing something right? Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is a snippet for my dimmer as an example

<Node id="6" name="Kitchen Counter Light" location="" basic="4" generic="17" specific="1" type="Multilevel Power Switch" listening="true" frequentListening="false" beaming="true" routing="true" max_baud_rate="40000" version="4" query_stage="Complete">
		<Manufacturer id="63" name="GE">
			<Product type="4944" id="3031" name="12724 3-Way Dimmer Switch" />
		</Manufacturer>
		<CommandClasses>
			<CommandClass id="32" name="COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC" version="1" request_flags="4" mapping="38">
				<Instance index="1" />
			</CommandClass>
			<CommandClass id="38" name="COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL" version="1" innif="true">
				<Instance index="1" />
				<Value type="byte" genre="user" instance="1" index="0" label="Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="1" min="0" max="255" value="0" />
				<Value type="button" genre="user" instance="1" index="1" label="Bright" units="" read_only="false" write_only="true" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" />
				<Value type="button" genre="user" instance="1" index="2" label="Dim" units="" read_only="false" write_only="true" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" />
				<Value type="bool" genre="system" instance="1" index="3" label="Ignore Start Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" value="True" />
				<Value type="byte" genre="system" instance="1" index="4" label="Start Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="255" value="0" />
			</CommandClass>
			<CommandClass id="39" name="COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_ALL" version="1" request_flags="4" innif="true">
				<Instance index="1" />
				<Value type="list" genre="system" instance="1" index="0" label="Switch All" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" vindex="3" size="1">
					<Item label="Disabled" value="0" />
					<Item label="Off Enabled" value="1" />
					<Item label="On Enabled" value="2" />
					<Item label="On and Off Enabled" value="255" />
				</Value>
			</CommandClass>
			<CommandClass id="112" name="COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION" version="1" request_flags="4" innif="true">
				<Instance index="1" />
				<Value type="list" genre="config" instance="1" index="3" label="LED Light" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="2" vindex="0" size="1">
					<Help>Sets when the LED on the switch is lit.</Help>
					<Item label="LED on when light off" value="0" />
					<Item label="LED on when light on" value="1" />
					<Item label="LED always off" value="2" />
				</Value>
				<Value type="list" genre="config" instance="1" index="4" label="Invert Switch" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="1" vindex="0" size="1">
					<Help>Change the top of the switch to OFF and the bottom of the switch to ON, if the switch was installed upside down.</Help>
					<Item label="No" value="0" />
					<Item label="Yes" value="1" />

A couple of quick things…

Have you restarted ha since adding devices?

Are the devices showing up in the states page?

I’ve restarted Home assistant and also the server itself. They do show up in the states page, and I can turn them on and off, although they are slow to report back the current state. That seems to be a different issue. But its possible the two are tied together, because the “fix” for the slow reporting of the dimmer level is also not “taking”

I am on 67.0 .I saw a post saying this was fixed in 67.1, so I will upgrade later today and see if that fixes it.

Fingers crossed

I’m having very similar issues. This used to work but then stopped at some point. Not sure what changed, but possibly this issue started when I upgraded to 0.67.0. I’ve seen 0.67.1 exists but haven’t gotten around to upgrading to it yet. Looks like I should try that, too.

You say you found a post saying this was fixed in 67.1. Can you provide a link to that post?

Well, this wont be a lot of help, because the info is someone else saying that 67.1 fixed it based on info from another thread. :slight_smile:. I will say that upgrading to 67.1 did fix my issue as well. As far as allowing me to make configuration changes for my zwave devices via theui.

1 Like

Well, it took a while to follow all the links, but finally discovered the change that fixed this (as described in the 0.67.1 release notes) is:

• Fix race condition for component loaded before listening (@balloob - #13887)

Obvious, right? :slight_smile: Looking at the actual commit, it changed homeassistant/components/config/__init__.py. Now I can see the connection.

1 Like

I updated to 0.67.1 and I can confirm that it fixes the problem in the z-wave config page. Node Values, Node group associations, Node config options, and dumping the OZW Log now work (again.)

My next problem is that my dimmer is a GE model 12718, and unfortunately, python-openzwave does not have config info for this device, so no options are available via Node config options. In your case, there is config info for the 12724, so you should be good to go! I’m going to take a shot at creating an xml file for the 12718 based on the one for the 12724 and info I got from Jasco’s website for the 12718. Wish me luck! :slight_smile:

Regarding the slow update, I did come across a topic that did a good job of explaining how to fix that. Check out:

I haven’t tried this yet but will tonight.

1 Like

So to close the loop on a couple of items…

I was able to create an xml file for the GE 12718 and I can now change the config parameters. It’s probably not complete, but it serves my purposes.

Also, I tried the change to the zwave section of my configuration.yaml file as described in the above link and that seems to have done the trick. I was able to turn off all polling now.