ZWavejs2mqtt installation

This worked for me using the portainer webgui. Thanks!

Now just need to figure out how to add device configs or similar since it seems some of my devices aren’t recognized properly.

New to HA and I currently have zwave-js installed (in the supervisor section and integrations section). Someone suggested I use zwavejs2mqtt in order for me to properly configure my zwave devices.

Let me just come out to say I don’t quite understand what is mqtt and how any of this would work but certainly am not shy in following the above info and trying docker.

Could someone advise whether I should be removing the zwave-js install first before I attempt this?

I ended up uninstalling the zwave-js add-on and the integration. Then I followed the instructions above and installed Portainer, setup zwavejs2mqtt container, configured zwave, mqtt and the gateway and now i have everything discovered

However, when I go back to installing the integration, neither ws://localhost:3000 nor ws://a0d7b954-zwavejs2mqtt:3000 will connect.

Am i supposed to have any zwave addon under supervisor? Because I’ve noticed how there is a zwavejs2mqtt add-on that can be installed …

I’m a bit confused as to where I should be heading now.

I suggest you go to the documentation on the ha website. It walks you through installation of Zwave_JS and explains how to configure either addon.

In the community guides section, there’s a zwave overview guide that shows how each zwave method is connected to HA.

Lastly, this thread was made prior to the release of Zwave JS Integration so all the information in it that you’ve been reading is outdated. You can still install and run based on the information in this thread but it’s not the “official” way to run zwave js.

1 Like

Hope this is the right forum for my issue/question.
I have multiple Ecolink door sensors and everything works as expected.
Now I added the Ecolink Flood/Freeze sensor and had no problem adding it to my Z-Wave network. The only issue I am having is that the sensor status changes from “dry” to “wet” but never back to “dry”. When I looked at the node data I noticed that under “Binary Sensor” it always changes from false to true and back but under Notifications, it stays as “Water leak detected”.
Is there any way to get this fixed or a way to allow me to have an automation or badge to properly indicate/notify me of the sensor status?

Any help is appreciated

P.S. Just saw this error message in the log:
ERROR ZWAVE: Unable to write 2 on 11-113-0-Water Alarm-Sensor status

1 Like

That was actually where I started about a week ago.

I had the zwave JS integration all setup. I have only 2 zwave devices and they were integrated properly. Only issue I had was that one of the devices was an inovelli switch which only had a single on/off entity. I posted a question about how to get other parameters integrated and was told my best bet would be zwavejs2mqtt.

Reading the zwave js page, it indicates that a limitation of the integration is configuration of zwave nodes and that zwavejs2mqtt is recommended (consistent with what the community member identified to me).

Reading through that page I’m still unsure as to what the procedure should be.
I’ve since started from scratch again (removed the portainer setup, supervisor add-ons and the integration) and have installed zwavejs2mqtt supervisor add-on and in the web-ui, it finds my 2 devices. However, how I integrate with my HA install is still confusing me. After the add-on, i went to the integration and directed it to the ws server and it seems to find it no problem.

But at this point no entities/devices are found.

Are you running the HA beta? If you just did this now, ZwaveJS2MQTT addon is out of sync with HA. The latest addon only works with the beta. V4.4 works with release.

On the supervisor tab, go to System. In the center supervisor card, there’s a button “Join Beta Channel”. Click that, then CTRL+F5 on the page. Go to the supervisor tab again. Update Home Assistant to the beta and you should be good to go.

I am actually running the beta …

Then you’re going to have to provide logs. There’s not much to this process. :man_shrugging:

Checking logs was genius … haha
not sure why i don’t do that more often. There was a message saying something about the version of my zwavejs2mqtt was not current. I guess with this being still fairly new, the version I had installed the night before was already out of date? Anyhow, I did an update to the add-on and the integration now picks up what is in the ws server.

How can I get the graph feature to work?
It always just shows 2 connections from the Controller to the node:

Minimotes show up not connected to controller as they are battery devices. On other hand my first alert Smoke/CO sensor are connected to controller as they wake up every 70 mins.
Are the 4 nodes battery devices?

I have two non-battery powered nodes but currently (after the latest updates and subsequent restarts) it only shows the controller connected to one node and this one is battery powered. :confused:

What is the status of the 4 devices in zwavejs2mqtt screen? Do they show as awake/sleep etc? If sleep try waking it up or restart the whole system including the zwave

They are asleep, I already tried waking them, restarting the whole system and even removed and re-added all nodes. But the result is always the same - the graph only shows a single connection to one node (battery-powered door sensor). The debug info accurately shows the neighbors of each node.

Hi I’m old to Home Assistant but new to Z-wave and Zwavejs2Mqtt.

I have a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 which I try to install and setup a Zwavejs2Mqtt-server on my Mac mini. I’ve read numerous threads for the setup and deamed the docker variant for the Zwavejs2Mqtt-server would be the best fit.

I did:

mini:dev Emil$ ls /dev/cu.usbmodem*
/dev/cu.usbmodemFD131

and when I try to run the docket with the specified device I get the following and don’t get any further.

mini:dev Emil$ docker run --rm -it -p 8091:8091 -p 3000:3000 --device=/dev/cu.usbmodemFD131 --mount source=zwavejs2mqtt,target=/usr/src/app/store zwavejs/zwavejs2mqtt:latest

docker: Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/cu.usbmodemFD131": no such file or directory.

I’ve tried to follow the guide at https://zwave-js.github.io/zwavejs2mqtt/#/getting-started/quick-start?id=docker but now I’m stuck and don’t see how I can proceed.
Please direct me how I can proceed. Thank you all!

I’m running zwavejs2mqtt on a mac mini using Docker but I had to install Ubuntu first and the machine is now basically a Linux machine . I believe i followed this guide, where u can dual boot the machine (although I never use the MAC os now) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/187410/how-to-install-and-dual-boot-linux-on-a-mac/amp/

It’s running reliably this way but was a process to setup.

Were you ever able to resolve the “always WET” issue with the Ecolink Flood/Freeze sensor? I have the same issue. It detects water, but never resets back to DRY.

Yes, I was able to resolve it.
The issue is that there are two entities:

• Z-Wave Wireless Flood/Freeze Sensor: Water
  • Z-Wave Wireless Flood/Freeze Sensor: Water Alarm - Water leak detected
    Only the first one resets to DRY - even though the name suggests otherwise.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Had the same problem. Enabling the extra sensor you mentioned seems to get a working toggle. Did your “Water Alarm” ever reset? I know the tamper protection took a long time to reset on one of my door sensors.

1 Like