Zwavejs2mqtt snap package

Hi,

Do you mean like eth0 and not for example 127.0.0.1 ? You have to assign a static IP in your router to that inteface (mac address) and then listen to the assigned IP for that interface. E.g 192.168.1.0.

AppArmor log spam is back.

Does it create any issues?

Anyway; I’ve added iproute2 to the snap. It should fix it. The release will be available in the latest/edge channel within an hour or so. The revision number should be higher than 416 when it’s released.

Switch with sudo snap switch zwavejs2mqtt --channel=edge if you wan’t to try it out and do a snap update when it’s released (snap info zwavejs2mqtt).

However you should not stay on the edge channel. Recommended channel is latest/candidate for rolling patch releases. latest/stable if you just want major releases.

Not that I’ve noticed. It just makes it harder to track down other issues.

Ok, it should be fixed now. Not sure if the package is necessary. I might remove it and replace it with a /usr/bin/ip script that always returns false.

Hello @joachimmg, Thank you for working on this! I noticed that the version of zwave-js-ui (formally zwavejs2mqtt) is a bit of of date via the snap package and as of the 2022.10 release of Home Assistant, it now requires at least zwave-js-ui 8.0.0.

I see there’s a branch that you’ve been working on, any chance this can be published or pushed to the edge branch?

Or do you have a suggestion on a way to manually update to the latest versions of zwave-js-ui?

Thanks for all of your work!

Hi @brent20,

It’s partly correct; I’m working on a totally different repo on this. The reason for this is because

• The snap store won’t allow me to rename zwavejs2mqtt to zwave-js-ui, and I therefor had to create a new listing in the store
  • The build system of the snap store wont allow me to choose which branch to build; It will simply always build from master. So to prevent screwing up current working systems under the old name, I’ve made a new repository for the new package.

The new snap will eventually automatically install and copy over (by auto-connecting a content interface from the same dev = aka me) the configuration files. There will also be a «copy-2-zui» command available.

I’m very sorry for this to have taken more time than expected, but I’m the only maintainer at the snap project, and lately I’ve traveled at lot (unexpectedly) with work. I don’t feel comfortable releasing an update of this scale without having direct access to a physical device to test on.

Luckily I returned home again this weekend and I’m currently working on the zui release now. :slight_smile: I will update as soon as I’m comfortable with the release.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you! I realize you have your own life, all good.

I sincerely appreciate your time and work on making this easier for amateur self hosting admins like myself. Thanks!

So at some point (when ready) it will just be available as is? I don’t have to do anything special?

I’m looking to move from the zwavejs2mqtt snap package to the zwave-js-ui snap package too. Are there official steps for doing this that keep your configuration?

Hi,

sudo snap install zwave-js-ui --candidate
sudo connect zwavejs2mqtt:zui-store zwave-js-ui:store-dir
sudo zwavejs2mqtt.cpy-2-zui

Then use it as you would use z2m.

PS! Everything within z2m will stay untouched. So if anything with zui fail, just disable it again and enable z2m again. Please report bugs in that case.

I guess we need to disable the z2m snap before installing zui, or is that all taken care of during install?

Thanks for that great work btw!!

Hi, Joachim - thanks again for creating this. I’m trying this out on my instance and running into some problems that I’m hoping you can help with:

1. $sudo snap install zwave-js-ui --candidate
    zwave-js-ui (candidate) v8.2.1 from Giaever.online (giaever-online) installed

2. $sudo connect zwavejs2mqtt:zui-store zwave-js-ui:store-dir
    sudo: connect: command not found
    $sudo snap connect zwavejs2mqtt:zui-store zwave-js-ui:store-dir

adding snap in the above command fixed that

1. $sudo zwavejs2mqtt.cpy-2-zui
    sudo: zwavejs2mqtt.cpy-2-zui: command not found

Hi,

Sorry, it was missing something

sudo snap connect [...]

(snap was missing in the command, which is essential)

And o in the copy command.

I must have been tired yesterday; You also have to switch to the edge channel for z2m to have the command:

sudo snap switch zwavejs2mqtt --edge
sudo snap refresh zwavejs2mqtt 
1 Like

It will be disabled during the copy-2-zui command.

Thanks. I figured out the typo in the copy command and was already running on the edge channel, so that worked. There was one other fix that I had to do. Once I started up zwave-js-ui, I got an error about the ‘config priority directory’ which was still pointing to zwavejs2mqtt. I went into the UI and changed that to /var/snap/zwave-js-ui/34/config - not sure if that’s the correct path but it fixed the error and I’m up and running with all my previous configurations.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback on this; there is a script that will take care of this re-write for every refresh/update (since the revision number will change) but in my mind I thought it would be working also on this.

I will fix it in the copy command. Thanks for report it!

The path looks correct.

With z2m on the stable channel:
sudo snap install zwave-js-ui --candidate → success
sudo snap connect zwavejs2mqtt:zui-store zwave-js-ui:store-dir → error: snap “zwavejs2mqtt” has no plug named “zui-store”
Tried switching z2m to the edge channel, getting this error on the refresh:
error: cannot perform the following tasks:

• Run hook connect-plug-zui-store of snap “zwavejs2mqtt” (run hook “connect-plug-zui-store”: /snap/zwavejs2mqtt/476/snap/hooks/connect-plug-zui-store: line 2: cpy_2_zui: command not found)

If I put z2m on the edge channel before attempting zui install, it fails with the same error.

I guess it doesn’t like the typo!

Architecture?

RPI4 running Hassbian (Debian 10.12)