ZWavejs2mqtt

You can set the name published in the gateway control panel.
Either manufacturer name (You will get duplicates if you have multiple devices) or nodeID_progressive.
I prefer the node notation

Yeah, I’m playing around with that right now.

I think what I’ll need to do is turn off discovery in HA once I add nodes, update the info in the control panel to make all the node info to match my existing config then turn discovery back on.

Otherwise the original (non-helpful) data seems to be pretty “sticky”.

I see what you mean…
I restarted the container for the first time and the HA configured devices are greyed out and the discovered MQTT devices are again there.

How to get rid of them… please let me know

Restart HA and it should allow you to delete the no longer existing entities. Have you enabled the Retained discovery? I believe that option should prevent this from happening.

1 Like

@RickKramer thanks indeed that setting solved

I’m finding that I can’t seem to change the mot important settings in the json for the device.

Right now my device is shown in the UI as “switch_switch” which I think is based on json “id:”. but I can’t change that entry.

I was able to modify some of the other field successfully but not that one.

Is there some limitation on changing that field?

I can see the issue of adding more switches and if all of them are labeled “switch_switch” then it will be a bear to discern which one is which.

It looks like that works off MQTT discovery, so the outdoor_outlet_plug is what you’d want to focus on where the ID is most likely something that is auto generated. Just my 2c.

I’m the one who changed those values to “outdoor_outlet_plug”. Before it was something like “nodeID_2_switch”.

So I could change those vales and once I jumped thru some “discovery hoops” in HA I finaslly got HA to accept the updated name and entity_id. SO HA is actually good now, I think…

It’s just the representation of the device in the HA discovery UI that is what I’m trying to fix.

But you know what, now that I think about it some more I really shouldn’t care what it says there because the node is already specified in the Node list and it’s name is there already.

Still, I’m not sure why I can update everything else I’ve tried to specify in that json data except that(those) field(s).

I’m not sure what you mean by “It’s just the representation of the device in the HA discovery UI that is what I’m trying to fix.”. With discovery, the ‘under the hood’ keyed name is unique_id. Everything else is mailable. The ID in that JSON doesn’t appear to do anything for discovery so I assume its for zwavejs2mqtt.

FYI, for discovery, this bit is the only bit that matters:

If you have the time, read up on the basic MQTT discovery (you might see use cases for it outside zwave2mqtt, I use it for storing states long term that last restarts).

Is it possible to easy migrate from official 1.4 zwave integration and keep entities names?

Sorry, the top part that explains what I mean was cut off in that screen shot.

Once you click on a node in the node list it brings up that part that I posted above with all of the entities that get discovered in HA below the node list.

Here is the screen with the node list at the top showing node 2 (the selected switch device):

The “HA discovery UI” I was referring to is that whole table at the bottom labeled “Home Assistant - Devices”.

I was thinking that a generic “switch_switch” designation there would end up being hard to follow which devices were which. But like I said, it won’t be a problem since the node number and name are already listed in the node listing and HA devices table at the bottom is based solely on the node you click on in the node list

1 Like

Just created a new topic specific to installation and configuration: ZWavejs2mqtt installation

Any help would be appreciated!

Only if you manually modify the json info in the “Home Assistant - Devices” section I am referring to in the last few posts.

None of the entity information for HA is stored on the zwave controller. And the only thing zwavejs has access to is the info stored on the controller.

This is the missing thing, to go and migrate. With 20+ nodes it is not worth the time

I think that whichever way HA goes when it is time to migrate you’ll probably be in the same boat.

Would you mind taking a screen shot of your entire UI settings for some of us to try and work off since you were able to successfully implement it.

Hi there’s not much more than what is on the github,
Also : you can follow same instructions as zwave2mqtt. very similar config

I dunno, I feel like there were about 40 different config variables, the instructions were like, in the mqtt section, “host: this is the hostname”
There’s not exactly a step by step.

I’ll go see if i can find a step by step for zwave2mqtt, as i agree that it has mostly the same settings.

I hope this is all you needed.

I currently have zwave2mqtt installed and tried to Lock Manager only to find out it doesn’t support Set User Code. Does anyone who has tried the JS version know if that command is supported?

1 Like