Zwavejsmqtt and zigbee2mqtt

Hi

I’m having trouble setting up these together on my HA. The Zwavejsmqtt runs fine until I try and install the zigbee2mqtt, then I get a number of errors. Ive checked the setup, reinstalled etc. I’m using the usb by identity for the adapters. Firstly, I get a number of errors on the zigbee side (bad gateway, error while starting herdsman), but then the zwave network fails with failed to initialise driver.

Has anyone got these working together?

I have both a zigbee ans zwave USB stick and the issue is likely the TTY mappings start moving around on you when you have more then one of each. I posted about it here:

Instead of the tty symlink paths, you should use the /dev/by-id path to specify which device is which as it tends to be more stable and not move around on you.

If the by-id path doesn’t work, to further troubleshoot, what type of Home Assistant install to you have (Full Hass.io, container, supervised?), are you using a VM, and what type of equipment are you running it on?

the setup uses the by-id path.
serial:
port: >-
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-ITead_Sonoff_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_0002b7868bc9eb11a8c48f4f1d69213e-if00-port0

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_CP2102N_USB_to_UART_Bridge_Controller_aa438ffa8184e911a957a1d6217343c2-if00-port0

I’m running Home Assistant OS 7.6 on a rapsberrypi4 (clean new install), Aeotec ZWave stick 7 and Sonoff Zigbee adapter (newest version with firmware updated)

The fact the zwave and zigbee both fail together definitely seems related to me. What about if you swap the USB ports you have them in? If you temporarily remove the zwave stick from the RPI, does zigbee2mqtt then work?

If zigbee2mqtt still doesn’t work on its own (without the zstick plugged in), I would say the problem is the configuration of the zigbee2mqtt addon somehow. Also, most USB devices need to be flashed for zigbee2mqtt, although for the sonoff it states it is “pre-programmed”. If it was not properly programmed flashing instructions are here - Supported Adapters | Zigbee2MQTT

If zigbee does work on its own, I would suspect the RPI lacks sufficient power to run both USB sticks at the same time, and you may need to plug them into an externally powered USB hub for sufficient power.

Tim

thanks, I’ll try removing the zwave stick and see what happens. I flashed the Sonoff as per the instructions before I started the install. I’m using a powered usb hub for both

thanks

Especially with the Zigbee dongle, a lot of problems can be solved by using an USB extension lead between the RPi and the dongle, and also use a USB2 port, not a USB3.

More info: How to Avoid the USB3.0 and 2.4 GHz Devices Interference?

The problem was that the USB adapter was faulty - replaced and everything works

1 Like