0.106.3: Coronavirus integration (COVID-19), track the outbreak

Oh and the countries are NOT in alphabetical order.

What is the difference between current und confirmed?

There needs to be at least one infected person in a country to show up in the list.

1 Like

Confirmed - Recovered - Deaths = Current

2 Likes

Enough bad news each time I switch on my TV, I will definitely not install this, itā€™s my choice. But everybody is free to choose. Never said it was a bad idea.

3 Likes

Is it possible to remove the ā€œPeopleā€ part behind the numbers

1 Like

This virus is bad and I get that and all, but there are other virusā€™s that cause death.
Do we do an integration for every single disease that causes death in the world?
What happened to Bird Flu? It was a similar thing but now we never hear of it, but it still exists.

I understand people panic about new things, but what about the millions of other diseases that cause deaths? The many bacterial infections and ā€œsuper bugsā€ that can be very easily spread as well?

I get people want to know about this one as it is in the news, but is it really needing its own integration into what is a Home Automation platform?

2 Likes

Maybe they will remove it when its over. And make new integration when there is something newā€¦ Just information for those who want follow the stats.

Maybe there could be a generic ā€œWorld Pandemicā€ integration, maybe worded slightly better though, to track outbreaks rather than just having it named for one virus?

Anyway, Iā€™ll not comment more on this. As I said, the virus is bad. Horrible even. I personally know people who have been affected by it so I am not unsympathetic. I just felt focussing on just one of the many deadly diseases isnā€™t necessarily the best way to go. The NEWS teams already do a good job of making people panic :slight_smile:

@jimmyz51501 I am not sure how accurate that map is. I live in Australia and believe there have been more than just one death from the it here.

only 1 death according to gov

1 Like

And now one resurrection according to my Australian Deaths sensor which just changed from 1 to 0.

2 Likes

may have to add new sensor for resurrections

1 Like

@sdlafferty ā€¦ cheers!

Who was it that said ā€˜reports of my death have been greatly exaggeratedā€™

And for the record, I wonā€™t be taking a vaccine for this flu or anything else for that matterā€¦

1 Like

According to the latest sensor data, that person is no longer dead? :thinking::man_shrugging:

Edit - Beaten by @jivesinger

1 Like

ā€¦and back to dead they go.

1 Like

Went back to 1 after I upgraded to 0.106.4

What am I missing here? Iā€™m on v0.106.4 (running in docker), but no Coronavirus integration exists?

NYT uses some very conservative estimates here to help people compare, but itā€™s well organized: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html ā€“ itā€™s comparing rough/evolving data to long-studied diseases, so it may be a lot different when itā€™s all said and done.

Not enough mention there about this aspect: Because it is so fast to spread, itā€™s infecting so many victims all at once such that cases will likely overload hospitals and prevent everyone (even uninfected) from getting proper care from other illnesses (or complicating a percentage of every other illness if it does infect them). Perhaps that will improve as we learn better treatments ā€“ in South Korea Iā€™ve heard they are doing drive-thru testing to reduce impacts and perhaps weā€™ll see more creative approaches in other countries.